E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #21
Zlatty

My Ride: '13 VW GTI
This guide wins. Well done!
Zlatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #22
W///

My Ride: E30, E46, E92 M3
This is awesome. Unfortunately, I've got the HVAC whistling noise... and a few other rattles due to my bass. And it's not even turned up that high

W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #23
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
After all the rattles I found, I still have to track down 2-3 more. Then I'll move to exterior
Old 10-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #24
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
After locating the rattle caused by the heat shield banging against the car body near the left rear wheel, I have no more rattles. The warning triangle still bounces on its tray in the trunk. I am debating with myself whether there is any point of carrying that around. A rear shock mount or some other bushing still squeaks very lightly and infrequenty somewhere at the back, but not enough to annoy.

Even with no more rattles, the cabin is still not as quiet as I want it to be. Any road noise entering the cabin gets bounced around by the cabin leather. This I can do nothing about. Although this is far less annoying any any rattle.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #25
paraklas

More updates..

Source 18: Vibrating noise near passenger seat
Cause: The seat occupancy sensor wires come out of their guides and vibrate against the bottom seat springs. This is usually caused by valeting people who stick their industrial vaccuming machines under the seats and not thinking what they might break. The seat occupancy sensor wire is in a thick plastic tube which forms a U shape making it vibrate easily specially on uneven road surfaces. This is the same case with the driver's seat but you don't hear it often because when you are sitting in the car, the bottom seat spring is loaded and touches the ocupancy sensor wire, minimizing rattles.
Solution: Remove first aid box, take a flashlight and examine bottom seat area for loose wires. Carefully re-insert occupancy sensor wire in its guides and check for movement. If it still shakes/vibrates, take the sensor wire out of its guides again and place a layer of cloth tape around it and re-insert. Should be fine for years to come or until the sensor dies.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #26
Safar

My Ride: comes with blow
Happy I stumbled accross this thread, I actually don't have (as far as I can tell) any rattles from the doors or front passenger area, but tonnes of annoying squeeks and rattles from the rear. I'll check out those headrests, seatbelt guides and window gaskets asap!
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP

Went from 305cc > 650cc > 1400cc > 2800cc
No prizes for guessing what my next engine will be...

Safar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #27
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safar View Post
Happy I stumbled accross this thread, I actually don't have (as far as I can tell) any rattles from the doors or front passenger area, but tonnes of annoying squeeks and rattles from the rear. I'll check out those headrests, seatbelt guides and window gaskets asap!
If you play with rattles, soon you will realise rattles are masked by other rattles. Until you eliminate the more dominant ones, you won't know you don't have rattles in those places you think you don't. With the rear noises, I don't think you can avoid taking apart the rear deck. Based on my experience of rattle hunting, I think BMW took absolute no care in putting the plastic pieces together in the car. Even if they did, they probably just used lubricants that would have dried up after a couple of years. To eliminate all rattles in the car, you literally have to disassemble the entire interior and put it back together again after you dealt with all the plastic contact surfaces.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #28
StewC625

My Ride: 2011 VW GTI
Thanks, this is awesome. My 2002 330 Ci convertible is just a cacophany of squeaks and rattles - I've chalked it up to "willowy structure due to convertible" and "convertible in general" - the most obvious noises all come from the top, which I think trying to chase those is a losing proposition. But I will definitely see if I can't find some of these others you've noticed - obviously, things like "rear deck rattle" and stuff don't apply to my car, but things like the noises coming from the dash and front doors certainly do apply.

Thanks!!
StewC625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #29
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Fantastic write up

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #30
tblue3cibm

My Ride: allroad / Hayabusa
Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #31
JoeVert

My Ride: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post

Even with no more rattles, the cabin is still not as quiet as I want it to be. Any road noise entering the cabin gets bounced around by the cabin leather. This I can do nothing about. Although this is far less annoying any any rattle.
I know this post is old but you can take out your seats and carpet and apply a layer of sound deadening material to the entire floor. This should reduce road noise significantly. I've wanted to try this for awhile after reading that website with the civic guy who wrapped his whole car with dynamat and foam deadener, anyone do this?

btw, great write up. As soon as I get a garage (hopefully soon with a new house) I am going to tackle every noise I can. No rattling for me but plenty of 'creaks' and a really bad creaking from the passenger seat when someone is sitting in it that is just too much.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #32
ibchris

My Ride: 03 325CI
My fix is it just get a louder stereo, or blame them on your passenger being to fat....if they mention the squeaks
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #33
gphillips

My Ride: E46 330i Sport
nice post.

I had a bad rattle (like a teaspoon against glass!) from the rear of the car. It turns out it was the black tube (part of the roll-over protection) that runs out the bottom of the rear headrest (drivers side in my case). I havent found a good fix as its all inaccessible but I have opened the flap on the top of the headrest and pushed some polystirene in to wedge the top of the roll bar tight agaist the inside of the headrest. This seems to work but Im seeking a better solution.

Im getting a high pitched rattle from the rear passenger side around the window (but not window) Is this likely to be the trim around the arm rest?

Also my passenger squeeks when going around corners but only with somebody sat in in. Ive greased the runners but that hasnt helped.

Last edited by gphillips; 02-05-2009 at 04:41 PM.
gphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #34
paraklas

Back with more...

Source #19
Rear seatbelt / window motor cover
Cause
The small plastic cover that goes over the rear window motor touches the pillar and the rear seat plastic (specially if you have fold-down seats), causing a very nasty sound when going over uneven surfaces.
Solution
Replace the push/lock pin that secures the cover with a new one, apply a thin layer of cloth tape below the cover and around it at contact areas.You can easily spot the contact areas because the plastic will be glossy there.

Source #20
Hood/Trunk rubber stop pads
Cause
Over time they get dry and hard and when going slowly over uneven surfaces, the slight hood/trunk movement due to flex creates some annoying sounds that are transfered in the cabin.
Solution
Apply silicone grease over the rubber stops both front and rear. Silicone grease will soften and lubricate rubber.

I'm left with 1-2 isolated noises now, 1 from near passenger side/dash and another one from passenger seat area.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:06 AM   #35
h00ligan

My Ride: 2004 LSB M3
#2 - trunk holes? like remove the speakers? or can you access from the trunk? This is a great thread, thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:14 AM   #36
paraklas

You can access them from the trunk.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 AM   #37
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
great work list

i don't have any(probably do, just having too much fun w/the car to notice) yet, but i'll know where the fix is!
xdmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #38
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Source #9: Knocking sound (plastic to softer plastic) around passenger side
Cause: That thing on the roof of the car that you hang your hand from it(sorry don't know how it's called) tends to get loose and vibrates against its metal guides.

It is called the "oh sh!t" bar.

Thanks for the guide. I'm on a quest now attacking creeks and knocks!!

Last edited by xavi330i; 03-31-2009 at 06:27 AM.
xavi330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #39
h00ligan

My Ride: 2004 LSB M3
hey thanks for the really super helpful post para!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #40
RXP rider

My Ride: E46 325Ci 04'
I am having an extremely hard time with two rattles in my coupe, 1st is teh silver door handle on the pass. side, not hte actual handle to open but the silver trim piece....2nd are the front headrests!!! cloth tape might work..thanks !

Tags
deck, rattles, speaker