E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
thefitter

My Ride: Is tight all night!
WTF, 3 different alignment specs for an E46? Any alignment gurus out there?

Anyone know why I would find 3 different alignment spec sheets? I have 1 from the dealer, 1 from an independent BMW shop and one from a Goodyear tire shop that does other automotive repairs. All 3 are using Hunter alignment racks and all three are different. I have found reference online to the specs from the indie shop and the Goodyear shop but not what I got from the dealer. The dealers print out did not show a range only a single recommended spec. Oh and… from what I can tell it’s NOT due to wheel size.

I have no idea what I should set this car up too. It’s really dumped and I have adjustable rear camber arms but not front camber/caster plates. I want the handling to be aggressive but I do not want to eat up the new PSIIs I just put on.

A tech at the dealer said that since the suspension is so far from stock that stock specs do not apply and that I need to find a “suspension guru” that really knows how to properly align a dumped car.
2002 325i - BBS RK ~ Michelin PSII ~ Bilstein CoilOver ~ Rogue RSTM ~ Brembo BBK (custom yellow color) ~ H-Sport Sways ~ TMS endlinks ~ M-Sport CA ~ Powerflex CAB ~ M-Sport STB ~ Ground Control RCA ~ PowerFlex RTAB ~ SuperSprint catback ~ Vorshlag ACP ~ Dinan CAI ~ Dinan SW ~ Denso Iridium ~ Royal Purple XPR ~ Formula One Pinnacle 35.

2007 335i - 100% Stock except dumped the run flats for Michelin PSII.
thefitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Here's the alignment tech thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=416660

If you post the various spec sheets you've got, I'll bet you'll find one is the sport settings, one is either the standard or the E36 settings, and the one from the dealer is the ride height compensated version.

Generally speaking though, this will get you in the right range for what you want and then can further tune to taste from there -
Front: -1.0 to -1.2 camber, zero toe
Rear: -1.7 to -2.0 rear camber, total toe of 0.18 to 0.22
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
thefitter

Thanks, but the Bentley manual seems to have different specs also! I think my head is going to explode! I have never with so many differing "technical specifications" in my life. I'm begining to think this is art not science.

I will try and scan all these and post them. I posted this yesterday on a another forum.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1076560
2002 325i - BBS RK ~ Michelin PSII ~ Bilstein CoilOver ~ Rogue RSTM ~ Brembo BBK (custom yellow color) ~ H-Sport Sways ~ TMS endlinks ~ M-Sport CA ~ Powerflex CAB ~ M-Sport STB ~ Ground Control RCA ~ PowerFlex RTAB ~ SuperSprint catback ~ Vorshlag ACP ~ Dinan CAI ~ Dinan SW ~ Denso Iridium ~ Royal Purple XPR ~ Formula One Pinnacle 35.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitter View Post
Thanks, but the Bentley manual seems to have different specs also! I think my head is going to explode! I have never with so many differing "technical specifications" in my life. I'm begining to think this is art not science.

I will try and scan all these and post them. I posted this yesterday on a another forum.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1076560
Quote:
I'm sorry I guess I was not very clear. What I meant was that I got print outs from the alignment machines showing what the specs should be. And they had different data in their programming for the same vehicle.

For instance the left front camber:

BMW Dealer Spec Range -0.6 0.0

BMW Indie Spec Range -0.7 0.0

Goodyear Spec Range -1.1 -0.4

(I converted these so they use the same format.)
Dealer Spec range = standard suspension specs, ride height compensated

Indie Spec range = standard suspension specs

Goodyear spec range = sport suspension specs
Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
thefitter

What do you mean by ride height compensated?

The dealer printed me 2 different spec sheets, one for a "BMW 99-06 E46 Coupe 17" Wheel" and "BMW 99-05 E46 Sedan/Wagon 16" Wheel", both spec sheets are identical.

From your post it seems the best specs for a dumped E46 would be the Goodyear ones. When we were picking the data lines in the Goodyear computer it only offered two choices standard and sport. Even though my car was not purchased originally with sport I choose that due to all the after market suspension mods. I'm going back to the shop and get a standard printout to compare. If its the same I will scream!

Last edited by thefitter; 09-08-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #6
thefitter

Heres another example off the three sheets:

For instance the left rear camber:

BMW Dealer Spec Range –1.8 -1.2

BMW Indie Spec Range –1.8 -1.3

Goodyear Spec Range –2.3 –1.8

(I converted these so they use the same format.)

Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
jpr

Read the thread I linked in post #2 and all your questions will be answered.