E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
InZain08

My Ride: 330ci
Schrick Cams

Hey everyone,

Finally got myself a set of cams after a long time of debating whether or not to actually do it. Gonna begin the install tonight and hopefully complete it in sections of a couple hrs every night until its done.

I've several resources to guide me along including a Bentley manual. I feel confident that I will be able to do this myself and do it right the first time around. Still, i'd like to ask for any advice from our community.

Thanks in advance
InZain08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
With all the specialized tools that you need to buy/borrow/fabricate substitutes for this is more work than I'd want to do myself. Let us know how it goes, and especially if you think it was worth it after you're done and feel the power difference.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
InZain08

The list of tools needed for this job certainly is extensive. I did pick up the camshaft tools from G.A.S. I also have various gaskets, VANOS pieces from Beisan and even CCV and DISA refresh pieces. I've always been a bit hesitant with the idea of tackling this job but managed to convince myself to give it a shot.

I'm sure while I'm working on it I will feel overwhelmed and possibly regret my decision but I also really enjoy working with my e46. I will definitely update this thread with the progress I make.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
InZain08

So after about an hr and a half tonight, I haven't gotten very far. I guess you can say I'm taking my sweet a$$ time

This is what I left it at tonight..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0555.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	590614  
Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
In.

Keep us updated with pics, and I cannot wait to see the progress you make.

I wish I had the balls to tackle cams on my own.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #6
InZain08

I'll try to remember to snap a few more photos for everyone but knowing how I work, I get tunnel vision lol. Perhaps after I'm finished an everything is running properly I'll assemble some photos together.

And I'm not sure I have the balls for this either haha.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
InZain08

So tonight I'm planning to invest another 1.5 - 2hrs working on the car. My plan is to begin by removing the valve cover, setting the crankshaft to TDC, attempt to lock my aftermarket flywheel with the pin, and start working on the VANOS system. Speaking of the VANOS, once I'm finished with the cams I will be replacing the gaskets with the rattle kit, oil line, and solenoid.

Anyways, after seeing how long it took me to prep for valve cover removal, we'll see how far I get with the VANOS tonight. Ill post another picture of the progress I will have made.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
InZain08

So my plans to work on the car tonight fell through. I've got a couple exams coming up before this weekend so thats my priority right now. I'm hoping to start back up on Friday night. Will post updates.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Hour and a half and only the plugs were taken out? Amateur!!!

JK! Keep it going man, in for pics, progress and results
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
My advice, concentrate on your exams. Get them done and then stop breaking the job up into these small chunks. It will make it much more difficult to remember what you did and where you put everything for reassembly. Not that it isn't totally doable with proper organization and prep but it certainly doesn't make it easier.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 02-19-2015 at 07:46 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
InZain08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Hour and a half and only the plugs were taken out? Amateur!!!

JK! Keep it going man, in for pics, progress and results
LOL I know I know Maybe I'll take another 2 hrs to remove the 15 valve cover bolts lol. Thanks Jake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
My advice, concentrate on your exams. Get them done and then stop breaking the job up into these small chunks. It will make it much more difficult to remember what you did and where you put everything for reassembly. Not that it isn't totally doable with proper organization and prep but it certainly doesn't make it easier.
Yeah, I agree with you Jared. Since I have an exam today and tomorrow I think I will take tomorrow night, Saturday and Sunday to finish the job. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #12
InZain08

@SolidJake - So as I promised you, 1.5hrs later I set the engine to TDC lol

Seriously though, the spark plugs were a pain in my a$$. They felt like they were torqued down 100ft/lbs! I got them out, removed the valve cover and discarded the old gaskets, and set the engine to TDC.

Tomorrow I will attempt to lock the engine with the pin (I have an aftermarket flywheel) and begin tearing down the VANOS.

Here are some photos I snapped right before cleaning up for the night. Let me know if you guys see anything unusual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0556.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	590775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0557.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	590776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0558.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	590777  
Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by InZain08 View Post
Here are some photos I snapped right before cleaning up for the night. Let me know if you guys see anything unusual.
Looks good, if you are unable to lock your flywheel just keep checking that mark to make sure it hasn't moved (during the points in install where the crank should be locked) to make it easier you could draw down it with white-out or something.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 02-20-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
InZain08

That sounds like a good idea. White out would be best since its bright and easy to see. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Keep it up!
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #16
InZain08

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of progress updates. I ran into a few hiccups over the weekend, namely me being ill prepared without a couple required tools. I picked everything up and made sure I was 100% before continuing.

I made some good progress tonight after about 2 hours worth of wrenching. I managed to remove the OEM camshafts tonight!

So far, so good. Hasn't been too difficult at all, just time consuming for me since I've limited experience with engines. (Thanks again for the DIY guide Jared!)

I'm planning on prepping the Schricks with some grease and the helix splines so I can install them, time everything up and hopefully finish tomorrow tonight. I'm also doing a VANOS refresh with the Beisan kits so that will add some more time to my overall project.

Here is a picture of the OEM cams sitting in my room. Sorry, I forgot to take engine bay shots but I'm sure you all can imagine/look up what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0562.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	591170  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
jared_wiesner

Quote:

(Thanks again for the DIY guide Jared!)
No problem,

And good work.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #18
InZain08

How the help did anyone remove the helixes from the OE shafts???

I can't do it
Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
InZain08

Also my schrick cams are finished differently. I just opened them tonight thinking I could finish but I saw they're different. As far as I can tell the lobes are oriented correctly but I didn't know if I had a mismatch since all the others I've seen online were the same.

Anyways, I still can't remove the helix pieces for the life of me. Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0570.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	591272  
Old 02-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #20
jared_wiesner

Schrick Cams

Quote:
Also my schrick cams are finished differently. I just opened them tonight thinking I could finish but I saw they're different. As far as I can tell the lobes are oriented correctly but I didn't know if I had a mismatch since all the others I've seen online were the same.

Anyways, I still can't remove the helix pieces for the life of me. Any advice?

I didn't have to remove them on mine since they were pre-installed on my used schricks. What are you having trouble with, turning the bolt at the end for removal or taking the helix pieces off after the bolt is out?

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 02-25-2015 at 06:37 AM.