E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
bookum23

My Ride: 1999 323i
Front Ball Joints

Well I hope I can get some help from the experts. I took my 1999 BMW 323i to a local inspection shop. After all the compliments and such about the beauty of the car and the expense etc. The repair person advised that the vehicle was in need of front ball joints. This was done by just looking he didn't perform any shaking, loosening tightening, moving of the wheel etc. I've driven the car for 5 days and it handles like a dream. Anyway, the mechanic advises that he can replace the ball joints for $200 each with about 4 hours of labor at 80.00 per hour. But if I do it right now he'll do everything for $500.00. I've gone on line and have found ball joints for $10-15each, what gives? Is there a difference, what specific parts numbers do I need? Is one place better than the next for parts? I'm a DIY and have worked on many older cars but is this one so different that repairs are gonna kill the wallet? and they can only be accomplished by BMW mechanics? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks B
bookum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Ball joints can't be replaced individually. Assuming you are talking about the ones in the lower control arms, the entire control arm must be replaced in order to replace the ball joints. Replacement of the arm also requires replacement of the lower control arm bushings. This is a very reasonable DIY project.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Sounds to me like what the mechanic was really saying is "I think I need $500" and what he was really thinking was "It should be easy to take advantage of this guy with the nice car."

Spend some time searching with the terms "control arm", "control arm bushing", Meyle, Lemforder, and Powerflex and you'll tap in to a plethora of information on the subject. Self-education is the best defense against questionable mechanics
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
sounds to me like what the mechanic was really saying is "i think i need $500" and what he was really thinking was "it should be easy to take advantage of this guy with the nice car."

spend some time searching with the terms "control arm", "control arm bushing", meyle, lemforder, and powerflex and you'll tap in to a plethora of information on the subject. Self-education is the best defense against questionable mechanics
+10000

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #5
Hugo780

My Ride: E46,z4,x5
today,i got my left ball joints done,and i paid nearly has much as that. And Id have to agree,it handles much better now!!!
Hugo780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Arrows

My Ride: 2000 323i.
Send a message via AIM to Arrows Send a message via MSN to Arrows
What are the symptoms of a bad ball joint?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrows View Post
What are the symptoms of a bad ball joint?
The steering isn't as precise, you can get some braking feedback through the steering wheel, some experience rattling. The bushings being worn is more noticeable, but ball joints are just as important.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
thoe507

My Ride: my ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Ball joints can't be replaced individually. Assuming you are talking about the ones in the lower control arms, the entire control arm must be replaced in order to replace the ball joints. Replacement of the arm also requires replacement of the lower control arm bushings. This is a very reasonable DIY project.
I have same problem. is there i way that i could just buy ball joint and bushing and NOT replace the control arm?
thoe507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
ferdinand831

My Ride: 2000 328CI
I'm pretty sure I've got bad ball joints too. Initially I thought it was a bushing in the front end but after reading this thread I pulled the driver's side front wheel off and found considerable play on the wheel mount. I could shake it like crazy. I really notice this in corners. You can see the symptoms of bad ball joints in the video below.

I have plans to install a UCC Sway Barbarian new springs and shocks (eibach + koni). I guess it would make sense to install the sway bar and new suspension when I get the ball joints done?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Andy

2000 328CI 146k miles

Last edited by ferdinand831; 08-04-2008 at 02:11 PM.
ferdinand831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoe507 View Post
I have same problem. is there i way that i could just buy ball joint and bushing and NOT replace the control arm?
No there is absolutely no way to replace only a ball joint in a BMW control arm. You have to replace the entire arm.

Now if you replace the BMW arms with arms made by Meyle, then next time a ball joint goes bad, you can replace only the ball joint instead of the entire arm.

Given the age of your car, there is a possibility that someone may have already replaced the BMW arms with Meyle. You should check.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
wlmmn

My Ride: 02 330ci+05AudiAllro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoe507 View Post
Not with E46 BMWs, no. Don't worry, I'm going through the same circumstances too.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:21 AM   #12
Handle46

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Im going to replace my ball joints on the driver front side tomorrow and im wondering do I need anything other than the following list

jackstands
torque wrench to 85lbs
pickle fork
gear puller
white lithium grease
meyle ball joints
meyle control arm
pair of bushings
air hammer (to pry the ball control arm out)
Handle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
shine330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci,1988 325e
I just installed one febi control arm into my 2001 330ci with 58.000 miles
$ 300.00 complete job including labor
shine330ci is offline   Reply With Quote