E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #41
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive

The biggest impediment to properly fixing the trim is to ensure that both surfaces are absolutely clean. I speak from experience - I used the 3M stuff and it didn't work. Then I noticed that the 3M stuff had stuck in some places and not in others. DOH. Used LPS Contact Cleaner to make sure both surfaces were absolutely clean. No more problems. I would think alcohol would also work.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #42
adv_round

My Ride: 323ci
I couldn't find Gorilla Gel around here, so I got Loctite SuperGlue Gel.
Did just as you advised: few inches at the time, clamped for 15 minutes each (I did use old t-shirt on the top trim to protect it)... I know it's too soon to make a call on it, but it looks solid. Thanks!

What is the function of this trim? I ask because I notice the profile of it is different now - as glue is applied to the center, it flatter and sides stick out more. I'm looking at it from inches away, no one would notice it, but I'm just wondering... If it just aesthetic, who cares looks good to me.
adv_round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #43
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The biggest impediment to properly fixing the trim is to ensure that both surfaces are absolutely clean. I speak from experience - I used the 3M stuff and it didn't work. Then I noticed that the 3M stuff had stuck in some places and not in others. DOH. Used LPS Contact Cleaner to make sure both surfaces were absolutely clean. No more problems. I would think alcohol would also work.
Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_round View Post
I couldn't find Gorilla Gel around here, so I got Loctite SuperGlue Gel.
Did just as you advised: few inches at the time, clamped for 15 minutes each (I did use old t-shirt on the top trim to protect it)... I know it's too soon to make a call on it, but it looks solid. Thanks!

What is the function of this trim? I ask because I notice the profile of it is different now - as glue is applied to the center, it flatter and sides stick out more. I'm looking at it from inches away, no one would notice it, but I'm just wondering... If it just aesthetic, who cares looks good to me.
The trim is actually part of a multi-layered rubber seal beneath it. So when you buy it from the dealer it comes all together. So in reality, the felt portion we're dealing with doesn't really do anything but cover up the functional weather stripping.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #44
dl1085

My Ride: 00 323ci
thank you. i tried tape but didnt hold so well, then down the road it came loose again, will give the clamps a shot!

e46
flickr
i love lamp.
dl1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #45
Chris-TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1085 View Post
thank you. i tried tape but didnt hold so well, then down the road it came loose again, will give the clamps a shot!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #46
Str8crusin

My Ride: 2000 323ci
I used 3M Weather Adhesive and packaging tape. Worked great for my car. It was a yellowish tacky adhesive.
Str8crusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #47
pish180

My Ride: 02' M3
Send a message via AIM to pish180
For the clamps I just went up to walmart and get the stanely plastic spring clamp set. It came with 2 XL, 4 LG, 6 MED and 4 SM They work great! It was only 9$. Glue is about 4$ a tube.

Clamps: http://www.stanleytools.com/default....=Spring+Clamps

The gorilla glue is differ than supergule too... the Gorilla glue expands 2x what u put in. ALSO... it says right on there dampen with water to make material more porus. It also says take 30-60min to set. So leave yourself plenty of time! I did about 1/2 of the driver side today and so far its rock solid. I let each 8"-10" section clamped for about 45-50min. I spaced the clamps out about every 2"-4".

I also suggest getting most of the debris from the old glue off... the new glue will hold a LOT better with out it.

<-----:::::::::===================== =======================:::::::::----->
pish180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #48
NataliE46

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Question

Sorry to bump this thread up from the dead, but I'm wondering if the felt-covered strip, if falling/drooping, would lead to water seeping into the cabin and onto the driver-side floor after a heavy rain or car wash?
NataliE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #49
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
liquid nails "perfect glue1" 3 years and holding!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #50
Chris-TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataliE46 View Post
Sorry to bump this thread up from the dead, but I'm wondering if the felt-covered strip, if falling/drooping, would lead to water seeping into the cabin and onto the driver-side floor after a heavy rain or car wash?
Nope the felt trim that falls down doesn't affect the actual weather stripping that keeps out water.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #51
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
i used gorrila glue and blue painters tape to hold it on and good so far

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #52
mski349

My Ride: '03 330Ci
Going to do this today. Mine was slightly beginning to pull aways from the door when I reached back, thinking I was grabbing my seat belt and yanked..... needless to say, it is severely in need of fixing.

The one thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread that seemed to be lost is to "bisect" the vertical trim from the horizontal trime (seperate at the top corner of the window.) IMO what is causing this defect is the trim, made of different material than the gasket, SHRINKS over time, hence seperating itself from the rubber. By "bisecting" it, you relieve the tension that pulls it apart.

On that note, makes me wonder why they say that there is no glue to fix this when at some point during production of the door seal, they had to glue it to begin with??? Why don't they sell the glue used to make it in the first place??

Anyways, wish me luck!
mski349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #53
theinfamousdrew

My Ride: 911 Turbo / E70
any updates to this thread? still holding with gorilla glue?

on the site it says not for rubber, so im just curious
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #54
Chris-TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
any updates to this thread? still holding with gorilla glue?

on the site it says not for rubber, so im just curious
My Gorilla Glue GEL is still holdin' strong!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #55
pish180

My Ride: 02' M3
Send a message via AIM to pish180
Mine is still holding strong and showing no signs of failing!

<-----:::::::::===================== =======================:::::::::----->
pish180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #56
howie1971

My Ride: BMW E46 325Ci
I couldn't find that glue here in Australia so I used construction adhesive (No more nails) lots of different types here as I am sure there are in the States. They vitally build houses with the stuff over here sticks to anything (just have to apply neatly with a caulking gun cause its brown and you don't want it on your trims).

I saw a wrecked Aston whilst I was in the UK and I swear it looked like it had been stuck together with this stuff.

Its holding well and I only did a few spots, I am planning to dye the trim black as there is glue all over it from the many previous attempts - including my panel beater which lasted a week - so I want to take it off and redye and glue the whole lot, if I can get it off now!!

A quick thanks to Chris for this DIY it really helped, the key is the clamping. One issue I ran into was because I did the clamps up quite tight my trim was a bit bumpy where the clamps were so I got a small length of timber and clamped that to the trim to get it flat (sorry should have taken a pick).

Thanks
Howie
howie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #57
Chris-TK

Yeah Howie good tip on using a piece of wood, plastic or perhaps a cloth to prevent dimpling from the pressure of the clamps, but to be honest my trim didn't get marked up.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #58
theinfamousdrew

My Ride: 911 Turbo / E70
today i got the irwin clamps and gorilla glue gel...

the clamps really only work along the top, i ended up pulling it away from the car and applying the glue....using masking tape to hold it then clamping it with a paint stir stick on top.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #59
got_e46

My Ride: Steel Blue 325Ci
This is a good write up.

I did a slight variant when I did mine a couple months ago...

1) I DID clean the inside of the trim and sanded off (very gently of course) the excess glue that was already on there.
2) I used 3M Weather Stripping Adhesive instead of Gorilla Glue. It holds quicker without clamps and dries faster.
3) I used masking tape to wrap it all up overnight.

In the end, I think the result is same - I just didnt need to buy clamps. And driving 60+ miles daily at 80mph with the windows down and it has held together real well so far.
got_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #60
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by got_e46 View Post
This is a good write up.

I did a slight variant when I did mine a couple months ago...

1) I DID clean the inside of the trim and sanded off (very gently of course) the excess glue that was already on there.
2) I used 3M Weather Stripping Adhesive instead of Gorilla Glue. It holds quicker without clamps and dries faster.
3) I used masking tape to wrap it all up overnight.

In the end, I think the result is same - I just didnt need to buy clamps. And driving 60+ miles daily at 80mph with the windows down and it has held together real well so far.
Where did you purchase the 3M Weather Strip Adhesive from? Mines stayed on for about 6 months before a freak heat wave here in SF undid my work. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks