E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
nosoule46

My Ride: 01 E46 & 05 E83 (X3)
Question Is my clutch slipping?

Every now and then when I upshift and release the clutch, there is like a 0.5 sec delay when it feels like the car is engaged to the flywheel. This occurs mostly when going into 4th gear. The car will like surge ever so slightly until it gets contact on the flywheel. I am gently appling throttle into 4th....

It's not the CDV that's creating the problem- cause I don't have one.

I am the third owner; bought at 37,000 miles now with 88,000 miles. I know how to drive a stick - have been for 20 + years. My other car had over 153,000 miles on the original clutch.

Anybody experience this occasional slippage?

Thanks

Last edited by nosoule46; 09-20-2008 at 09:51 AM.
nosoule46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
nosoule46

Bump Anyone?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
pMak26

My Ride: '99 M3, '07 r6
dude, i get the same thing, sometimes between 2-3 and 3-4. I also have no CDV.

to me, it feels like my foot releases the clutch pedal faster than the fluid can flow through it's line to clamp the clutch on the flywheel. while my left foot thinks i've fully engaged the clutch, my right foot is trained to apply throttle... and it does this slightly premature to the clutch actually clamping the flywheel.

Sound about right?
pMak26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
try this....while cruising in like, third gear, stomp on the gas peddle. If Your engine surges without You building speed, then Your clutch is slipping
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
nosoule46

I never though of that but though plausible, the 'slipping' happens even in casual shifts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pMak26 View Post
dude, i get the same thing, sometimes between 2-3 and 3-4. I also have no CDV.

to me, it feels like my foot releases the clutch pedal faster than the fluid can flow through it's line to clamp the clutch on the flywheel. while my left foot thinks i've fully engaged the clutch, my right foot is trained to apply throttle... and it does this slightly premature to the clutch actually clamping the flywheel.

Sound about right?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
nosoule46

Thanks man, I will have to test it that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
try this....while cruising in like, third gear, stomp on the gas peddle. If Your engine surges without You building speed, then Your clutch is slipping
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
lilbusa600
Donkey Kong Racing

My Ride: needs a new heart
Send a message via Yahoo to lilbusa600 Send a message via Skype™ to lilbusa600
for an update

UUC Lightweight Flywheel, UUC SSK & DSSR, UUC Anti-Swaybars, and Supersport Coilovers + ME = Fun FTMFW!!!
Euro-Spec front and rear M3 bumpers

Myspace
Facebook
Cardomain

lilbusa600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
akamalaysianboy

My Ride: 330ci
i went to get a buyer's check for my car. The technician said he starts from 3rd gear and slowly release the clutch like usual, if the car moves without stalling thats how you know the clutch is slipping, not sure if the information is reliable though. My car had about 87k at that time, but he said clutch still pretty good but i'm pretty sure it new new one pretty soon...
akamalaysianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
EMPORIOO

My Ride: 330ci, 335i
usually with our cars you will find the clutch to start slipping at higher gears like 4th and 5th, when you are pressing on the gas and the RPMs jump and your car is not accelerating you know your clutch is starting to slip. As more wear is applied to the clutch you will notice that your car will start to slip on lower gears like 1st and 2nd. I would recommend you get it changed ASAP if you are noticing this problems bc the dual head fly wheel in these cars is not cheap and cannot be re-surfaced .

Last edited by EMPORIOO; 09-25-2008 at 07:17 PM.
EMPORIOO is offline   Reply With Quote