E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
HellFish

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Hardest situation I've ever been in

I guess I am just looking for someone's thoughts that has been in a similar situation, i'm not sure.

But anyway, I am 23 and have been dating this girl for about 2 and a half years. I love her as a person and have had wonderful experiences with her. However, I know it will never work in the long run - mainly because of career choices that require very different life styles (I won't get into it).

Anyway, I love her but I feel like I need to break it off to give us both a chance to meet other people.

I have no problem breaking up with a chick if I didn't love them but this is a first for me.

I know she'll be blind sided too, which makes it worse.

This is the hardest thing I have ever done =/
Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
the longer you wait, the harder it will be.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
poynter

My Ride: Jetta
So shes a cop and your a drug dealer? Tell her exactly why and not some BS story. Just lay it all out there.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
BMWDon

My Ride: Needs a cage
just tell her the truth, and tell her you can't see yourself growing old and having kids/family with her and you've got to end it. It'll hit her like a ton of bricks, it'll make you feel like crap, and you'll be tempted to get back together later...don't. Just have to end it asap, waiting longer makes it harder like mentioned above. Sorry you feel you have to end it....good luck
Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
aapriadi

My Ride: e90 325i
i'm in no position to give u any suggestions since i'm in a LD relationship & kinda strugglin/tryin to figure things out with teh gf but i wish you all the best man...
here's what i've learnt....love = compromise.....if both of you are willing to work on it together and if both of you truely love each other, you guys could face any challenges together....good luck n keep ur heads up
aapriadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by poynter View Post
So shes a cop and your a drug dealer? Tell her exactly why and not some BS story. Just lay it all out there.
If the reason is really just the career choices, then tell her that. It may be that she'd be more interested in staying with you than following that career.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
greenohawk69

My Ride: BMW.Harley.Ducati
...of the girl
greenohawk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Jabboure36

My Ride: 03 540i/6
Send a message via AIM to Jabboure36
dude come on if u really do love her....what does the lifestyle matter? its harder to find someone u love than someone who suits ur careers lifestyle....
Jabboure36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Don't think about what you are going to say, just say it and get it over with. Once it is out there let the conversion take its course. It is tuff to do, GL
Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
bimmerboi19

My Ride: 05 M3 ZCP
unless she is an erotic dancer i don't see how ones careers can make a relationship break up if you love each other.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi19 View Post
unless she is an erotic dancer i don't see how ones careers can make a relationship break up if you love each other.

if she is a cop and he is a drug dealer (is this really the case??) then she is putting her career on the line by being with him knowingly
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
jessybabyluvsit

My Ride: 325i
love is harder to find then a job
Old 09-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
just wait for the **** to invent robot wives.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post

if she is a cop and he is a drug dealer (is this really the case??) then she is putting her career on the line by being with him knowingly
He is a Montague and she is a Capulet. It has been forbidden for hundreds of years.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Been there, done that......my advice is dump and move on. You will absolutely hate the time you are wasting the longer you put it off. It sucks, but that is part of the deal. You'll be glad you did after a while, maybe not immediately, but definitely in the long run.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
Androo

My Ride: Has 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabboure36 View Post
dude come on if u really do love her....what does the lifestyle matter? its harder to find someone u love than someone who suits ur careers lifestyle....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessybabyluvsit View Post
love is harder to find then a job
+1

Totally agree... That can be changed, a personality can not be changed as easy as a career or lifestyle, working together can solve anything.
Androo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Out of curiosity, what kind of careers are we talking about??? If she is dead weight, let her go
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 AM   #18
e4604
Banned

My Ride: ...
im guessing modeling or playboy...either way goodluck.
e4604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #19
BmwKittyCat

My Ride: 2006 JB E46
Just break up with her. If you already have it in your mind that it will not work, then it won't. You've already wasted 2.5 years. No point in continuing to waste more time. She will have to understand, or if not she will eventually. That's life.

Think about what you want, what makes you happy. Because reality is, that if it were the other way around she wouldnt think twice about breaking up with you.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #20
NightRunner

My Ride: Slowmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Been there, done that......my advice is dump and move on. You will absolutely hate the time you are wasting the longer you put it off. It sucks, but that is part of the deal. You'll be glad you did after a while, maybe not immediately, but definitely in the long run.

+1. I made it clear that I was moving to the other side of the country to pursue the job/career i always wanted. Told this to the girl i was dating about a year before i did so, so it was absolutely no suprise. She knew what I needed to do, and I knew she needed to continue on with her life/career and it just happened that we would be on other sides of the country. Started hanging out less and less and by the time I left it came to "hey..are we still bf/gf the past few months?" lol rarely talked, but because we knew it would happen we left on good terms and I still talk to her (rarely do that with past gf's)

It'll suck at first, but you'll get over it and realize its what was needed to be done. I used to think I wanted to get married right out of college-now I realize I needed to get my crap in order and set myself up before changing my life for someone else. Hell I'm still trying to set myself straight and I've been out of school for a few years. not that i have no clue what i want to do, but i need to do a few different jobs before i get to the actual dream job i want. almost there.

Last edited by NightRunner; 09-23-2008 at 09:35 AM.
NightRunner is offline   Reply With Quote