E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #161
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Just found it thanks to your prompt.

For reference -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wKYL9_4mXRI

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=D4PK1jXhppE

Cheers

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #162
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Yep
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #163
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Hi Guys,
I have what I think is bearing noise, but it's not your typical "groan" that comes with load, like I've always experienced in the past with bearings. This sounds more like a squeal, similar to brake pads rubbing on a warped rotor. But I changed the pads, calipers, and rotors last week, so I know that is not the issue. It also doesn't change the noise at all to apply the brakes. It seems to be fairly quiet upon a cold start, and definitely gets worse as you drive. Happens in all gears and neutral, so it's not tranny related, definitely wheel related. Does this sound like it could be bearings? 2003 325i w/about 90K. Thanks, Ed.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #164
lemniscate

My Ride: e46 zcp
90k is when my front bearings gave out. Worth a try.
lemniscate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #165
headsortails

My Ride: 325Ci
Hi Guys, thanks for this DIY I took off the old hub and inner race from front passenger side without much problem.

But I am stuck at trying to put on the new hub. It just wont go in onto thicker part of the spindle. It gets stuck at the outer edge. With a deadblow and a 36mm socket, I have been trying to knock it in on the race with moderate force already. And hub looks pretty aligned to the spindle. I got this F.A.G. hub 31-22-6-757-024-M34 from Pelican for my 2003 325Ci. Could it be a faulty part or does the hub need to be pressed in (how?)? Thanks.
headsortails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #166
GDA

My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsortails View Post
Hi Guys, thanks for this DIY I took off the old hub and inner race from front passenger side without much problem.

But I am stuck at trying to put on the new hub. It just wont go in onto thicker part of the spindle. It gets stuck at the outer edge. With a deadblow and a 36mm socket, I have been trying to knock it in on the race with moderate force already. And hub looks pretty aligned to the spindle. I got this F.A.G. hub 31-22-6-757-024-M34 from Pelican for my 2003 325Ci. Could it be a faulty part or does the hub need to be pressed in (how?)? Thanks.
Measure the inside diameter of the race to make sure it is the correct bearing and identical to the one removed. It could be an improper part that got accidently placed or mismarked in the box.

Good luck.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #167
headsortails

My Ride: 325Ci
Finally got the new hub on. I had to push on the hub by hands really hard to get it move in by a notch. Then tapping on the race with 36mm socket worked like a charm
headsortails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #168
prettyricky

My Ride: 2004 325i
Another GREAT E46 Fanatics thread... Just don't know how much I have enjoyed my Bimmer over the years knowing that if anything is wrong you guys normally always have the answer along with a nice DIY. Going to be tackling this myself Saturday.

VMR710 BMW Velocity Motoring V710 18x8.5 Staggered
prettyricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #169
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
quick tip - the new hub will slide on a bit easier if you apply a small amount of grease to the spindle first.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #170
Snik
OEM ///Member

I applied grease to the hub and spindle just because they're mated surfaces. I thought that was in the instructions too.

But yeah. It slid on pretty easily.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #171
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
My turn for this.. passenger side front wheel bearing is going, bought 46mm socket from Northern Tool for $17 shipped. Autozone has torque wrenches to loan out that go up to 250FT/Lbs with a $100 deposit that you get back when you return it.. nice! Got the SKF bearing from BMA parts as that was the best price by far on line.. almost considered the PAX until I read the ill fitment in another thread where it didn't work..
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #172
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Be careful with the autozone torque wrenches. I was almost all the way through my install, and it turned out the wrench was broken. When set to 215 lb-ft, it was clicking at maybe 50. I think it's much safer to just invest in a new one. I tried getting by with a breaker bar and a scale, and now my passenger side wheel bearing failed < 10k miles later.

This time I'm not cheaping out. I bought a split-beam torque wrench from precision instruments. Made in the USA, and they're basically the OEM for some of Snap-On's torque wrenches.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-14-2012 at 09:39 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #173
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Be careful with the autozone torque wrenches. I was almost all the way through my install, and it turned out the wrench was broken. When set to 215 lb-ft, it was clicking at maybe 50. I think it's much safer to just invest in a new one. I tried getting by with a breaker bar and a scale, and now my passenger side wheel bearing failed < 10k miles later.

This time I'm not cheaping out. I bought a split-beam torque wrench from precision instruments. Made in the USA, and they're basically the OEM for some of Snap-On's torque wrenches.
well, i'm not swinging the price of a torque wrench I may use only a few times for the rest of my life, and you can get an idea how much torque that is when you take it off, so obvs 50ft lbs is waaaaaaay under the recommended 215 ft lbs of tightening torque, so you should have suspected something was up when it clicked at 50..
Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #174
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
well, i'm not swinging the price of a torque wrench I may use only a few times for the rest of my life, and you can get an idea how much torque that is when you take it off, so obvs 50ft lbs is waaaaaaay under the recommended 215 ft lbs of tightening torque, so you should have suspected something was up when it clicked at 50..
I did suspect something. I was also in the middle of repairing my only car and could not get another torque wrench. Hence the use of a breakerbar about 2ft long and a scale. Tried to get as close to 107ish lbs (which * 2ft should be 214lb-ft), but in retrospect, anything could've gone wrong there too. Maybe I didn't hold the handle perpendicularly throughout the arc, perhaps I wasn't able to torque it as smoothly as I liked, so static friction caused the nut to stay put at some value under 214, etc... Maybe I would've been better off just getting it "really ****ing tight" with my impact wrench, I don't know. But rather than risking another failure in 6 months, I decided to invest in proper tools for the job.

And yeah, the difference between 50 and 215 is extremely noticeable - hence why I noticed. But what if the difference isn't as extreme? Would you really notice the difference between say... 180 and 215? Or what if it's miscalibrated in the other direction, and you end up overtightening it?

Unless you have some way of verifying the torque wrench before using it, then I would strongly urge just buying one. For this job a beam type might actually be best. Dead-accurate and cheap.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-17-2012 at 09:45 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #175
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
Quote:
My turn for this.. passenger side front wheel bearing is going, bought 46mm socket from Northern Tool for $17 shipped. Autozone has torque wrenches to loan out that go up to 250FT/Lbs with a $100 deposit that you get back when you return it.. nice! Got the SKF bearing from BMA parts as that was the best price by far on line.. almost considered the PAX until I read the ill fitment in another thread where it didn't work..
Have you already installed the SKF bearing? If you haven't, can you please look at the actual bearing and let me know if it has a SKF stamp on the bearing or if it says F.A.G?

I purchased F.A.G bearings front/rear when I replaced the bearings on my car. I had one of the front bearings go out after only ~5K of use. The vendor I purchased the bearings from did replace it under warranty however their site now only showed SKF listed under the manufacture for the bearings. The replacement came in a SKF box but the actual bearing had a F.A.G stamp on it and looked identical to the one I previously used.
Quote:
You do not have to spend a lot to get a high quality torque wrench. I did a good amount of research before investing in one and I've been very happy with my purchase. I went with a Precision Instruments torque wrench. They were previously sold as Snap On torque wrenches until Snap On purchased CDI. I went with the split beam design as you don't need to reset the tool after each use and it's a very durable design. The one I got has a 50lb-250lb range so it works for a ton of jobs. I included a link to the place where I purchased it from, great price and fast service. I use the torque wrench all the time

http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-i...-c3fr250f.aspx
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #176
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
Have you already installed the SKF bearing? If you haven't, can you please look at the actual bearing and let me know if it has a SKF stamp on the bearing or if it says F.A.G?

I purchased F.A.G bearings front/rear when I replaced the bearings on my car. I had one of the front bearings go out after only ~5K of use. The vendor I purchased the bearings from did replace it under warranty however their site now only showed SKF listed under the manufacture for the bearings. The replacement came in a SKF box but the actual bearing had a F.A.G stamp on it and looked identical to the one I previously used.

You do not have to spend a lot to get a high quality torque wrench. I did a good amount of research before investing in one and I've been very happy with my purchase. I went with a Precision Instruments torque wrench. They were previously sold as Snap On torque wrenches until Snap On purchased CDI. I went with the split beam design as you don't need to reset the tool after each use and it's a very durable design. The one I got has a 50lb-250lb range so it works for a ton of jobs. I included a link to the place where I purchased it from, great price and fast service. I use the torque wrench all the time

http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-i...-c3fr250f.aspx
Exact same one I decided to buy. Seems to be identical to the Snap-On TQFR250E
Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #177
GDA

My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
Very cool to see my old DIY is getting tons of mileage.... brings back good memories of the first couple major projects on the sedan.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #178
sb2007

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
Quick question guys. I'm about to tackle this DIY and am getting ready to order parts.

Do the F A G hub/bearings come with a new 46mm axle nut or do you have to buy a new one separately?

Thanks in advance for the info
Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #179
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2007 View Post
Quick question guys. I'm about to tackle this DIY and am getting ready to order parts.

Do the F A G hub/bearings come with a new 46mm axle nut or do you have to buy a new one separately?

Thanks in advance for the info
I had to pay extra for them to be included with mine (from Turner)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #180
Snik
OEM ///Member

Check harbor freight. It's just a regular big ass socket.

Tags
front wheel bearing