E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
dementievafan

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
ipod options for the e46

what are the ipod adapter options for the e46 series? i've heard of dice, is there any other? and also do you need a cd changer in order for dice to work?

dementievafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
BMW does offer an OEM iPod retrofit connector but it must be run out of the glove box and can only be controlled by the headunit to play your playlists. It's rather limited for what you get IMO.

I have the DICE SilverLine Kit in my car and find it to be a great solution for the iPod. You can control the system through the steering wheel, headunit and the iPod itself. You can browse playlists, artists, genres, songs etc...it's very flexible in that regard. You do not need the CD Changer to install the kit either, all US Spec E46s came with the CD Changer pre-wired and the DICE unit plugs right into this port for a clean install. You can also run the unit to a variety of places including the glove box, center console or sunglass holder.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
TopasBlau46

My Ride: 2001 E46 325ci ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
BMW does offer an OEM iPod retrofit connector but it must be run out of the glove box and can only be controlled by the headunit to play your playlists. It's rather limited for what you get IMO.

I have the DICE SilverLine Kit in my car and find it to be a great solution for the iPod. You can control the system through the steering wheel, headunit and the iPod itself. You can browse playlists, artists, genres, songs etc...it's very flexible in that regard. You do not need the CD Changer to install the kit either, all US Spec E46s came with the CD Changer pre-wired and the DICE unit plugs right into this port for a clean install. You can also run the unit to a variety of places including the glove box, center console or sunglass holder.
+1

It's quite cheap too, I think ~$160 shipped, far less than the OEM version and more friendly to use IMO.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementievafan View Post
what are the ipod adapter options for the e46 series? i've heard of dice, is there any other? and also do you need a cd changer in order for dice to work?
The DICE would be the best option, it does require a CD Changer to work but instead - plugs into the CD Changer wiring. This is the kit you would need:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1621

The DICE iPod Kit will integrate perfectly with your BMW and offer steering wheel control as well as ID3 text and charging of your iPod. Full CD Quality can be expected after installation. There's even an integrated AUX port for other devices.

New features of DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration kit include:

- Direct integrated connection, without the need for FM transmitters or cassette adapters
- Full Text Display on your factory radio or Navigation screen
- Full control of your iPod via the radio buttons while in play
- Browse by Individual Song
- Browse by Individual Playlist
- Browse by Individual Albums
- Source Selector w/ Integrated AUX input
- Album Selection
- Full charging mode for iPods through included dock connector

The kit will come with everything needed w/ the docking cable. The iPod can be safely stored away in the glove compartment for 100% stealth installation and accessed completely from the steering wheel controls. The DICE comes with a 15-foot cable length to reach anywhere in the vehicle you like. We have tutorials at the following links:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...nter/index.php

Let me know if you have any further questions, we have either the radio or trunk interface kits available pending your installation preference.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopasBlau46 View Post
+1

It's quite cheap too, I think ~$160 shipped, far less than the OEM version and more friendly to use IMO.
far less is not accurate...
Old 09-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
CessnaPilot

My Ride: '04 325xi, '04 Titan
I have the USA Spec iPod adapter

haven't installed it yet, but it does pretty much the same thing as the silverline. Be careful when you order it, make sure it comes with the new cable that charges the iPhone if that's what you're using. I haven't installed mine yet because of this but because i went through Crutchfield they are going to send me the new cable free of charge when it comes out (sometime in October). That's why i keep going back to Crutchfield.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
sanvara

My Ride: Black E46
I just did the DIY adding an aux input and wired it coming out of the sunglass holder. For less than $40 that suits my needs.

Here's a video on how the Silverline works:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...on-kit-143392/

Navigation appears to be kind of a slow process in this video. Using the player itself to navigate seems like it would be much faster. Scrolling text is also irritating, but maybe that's my personal issue.

Last edited by sanvara; 09-25-2008 at 06:44 PM.
sanvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
Alchemist753

My Ride: 2003.07 M3
Installed the Dice SilverLine on my 2003 E46 M3 with Navi about 3 months ago.

Works great, although I can browse songs thru the Navi, I find it very cumbersome. I use steering wheel controls for sequential NEXT/PREV or the iPod itself when I want fast response or more complex browsing.

The Silverline emulates a CD changer. If you *had* a changer in your car, the silverline would take its place. I did/do NOT have a CD changer.

I ran the cable from the left trunk, crossed trunk, thru the grommet used to pipe the red battery cable, under rear seat and along the door trim to end up under the passenger seat where the actual adapter now lives. There are several tutorials out there for it, some run the adapter all the way to the glovebox...

Bottom line, great product, excellent sound, I should have purchased it long ago...

Hope this helps...
Alchemist753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
keith_m3-4

My Ride: 02 325iT
+1 for DICE. I used it in both my E46 325iT and M3. The factory one has far less navigation options and crashes more often. Only issue I've had with my DICE is it sometimes takes a while to initialize. Reconnecting it always fixes the problem. Maybe this is fixed on the Silverline version as I have the older model.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
dementievafan

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
thx for all the helpful comments, how come i see so many buyers ask sellers if their dice is a silverline, is it safe to say that i should just buy a silverline and ignore the rest?

dementievafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
thx for all the helpful comments, how come i see so many buyers ask sellers if their dice is a silverline, is it safe to say that i should just buy a silverline and ignore the rest?
The SILVERLINE is the 2nd Generation DICE kit, released in March 08. If a kit is purchased new from us, it will be a SILVERLINE product.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
You definitely want to get the Silverline kit, it is the most up to date. That is all we sell.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Definitely go with the Silverline. As said it is the most up to date!

Let me know if I can help you with your purchase! Don't forgot to use the coupon code for forum members to get the discount! See Signature.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...d-Kit-by-DICE/

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
k20z1 L

My Ride: 04 330ci
Great thread! I'm going with the Dice Silverline myself, thanks for all the input.
k20z1 L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
JOEYB24

My Ride: 2002 325XI
@HALSTON whats the discount code for the dice i want to purchase one tonight?

thanks,

JOEY
JOEYB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
enjoipotter

My Ride: 2000 323i
Wink BSW Soundplicity

I got this guy.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...tegration-Kit/

And i couldn't be happier. The thing works like a charm and installing it was incredibly simple. The only thing that was sort of annoying was putting the rear seat back in, but still, very simple._nr_

Ride Smooth
enjoipotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
Before you make a decision have a look at my thread. I was looking at the dice option but it jut seemed to expensive for what I was getting, especially when you consider the ashtray dock. This may be the solution your looking for.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=990340
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYB24 View Post
@HALSTON whats the discount code for the dice i want to purchase one tonight?

thanks,

JOEY
Joey,

We don't have a discount code to hand out, but if you keep a eye out for our ads and click through it will provide you with a 10% discount code

Feel free to get in touch with me directly if you have any questions!

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote