E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
325ifc3s

My Ride: blown 325i
problems with aa's 325 kit

the shop i took my car to say they are having troubles with the install and are having to fab some of there own tubing to make my kit work. so my question is has anyone had the same issue or any issue during the install of this kit onto a 325i? the hardware seems to fit fine, but they are complaining about the plumbing and am kindof afraid of how much extra this guys going to charge for the "extra" work to install the kit.
325ifc3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
naveedh

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci SE
From what i have heard, AAS's kits are true plug and play. Its either some production model difference in your car, which would suggest you havent got the correct kit or the guy is just tryin to get a bit more $$ outa you...
naveedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Your shop shouldn't have to fab anything. Something here isn't right. I would arrange a conference call between you, your shop, and AA.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
325ifc3s

from what i understood when i talked to my shop they said aa told him that some of the parts were different than in the kit (updated) but the instructions were not updated to match. either way i was just curious if anyone had any problems with the kit for the 325 specifically or any other kit involving the plumbing. oh and to who asked i am sure i didnt get the wrong kit as i ordered it from jean and told him exactly what i had.
hopefully my dme will come in tomorrow and i can drive my car home from the shop.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
AMG-ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Your shop shouldn't have to fab anything. Something here isn't right. I would arrange a conference call between you, your shop, and AA.
Best thing to do.

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
If your shop has installed any F/I kit before, they should know what to do, regardless of instructions, especially with the plumbing... If they are experienced and are having problems with the plumbing, something is probably wrong.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
ridin325

My Ride: 2013 911 C2S
I had a problem with the intercooling pipeing as well. It fits but it doesnt fit well. I will be redoing mine sometime next spring when I get a chance, so it fits better and to upgrade the intercooler.
ridin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
325ifc3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin325 View Post
I had a problem with the intercooling pipeing as well. It fits but it doesnt fit well. I will be redoing mine sometime next spring when I get a chance, so it fits better and to upgrade the intercooler.
i think this is the problem they are(were) having. it didnt fit well enough for them to call satisfactory i suppose, this guy is a real critique artist when it comes to getting things like this right. he builds custom race set ups in bmw, alfa romeo, fiat, and other european cars, granted most of them are older he does know what he is doing, i just think he hasnt played with a e46 s/c kit since most of his set ups are turbo.
anyways my car should be done today and i am just waiting for ups to deliver my dme, wish it would've got sent to the shop where i had it shipped from, oh well.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Active Autowerke II
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
Send a message via AIM to Active Autowerke II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ifc3s View Post
i think this is the problem they are(were) having. it didnt fit well enough for them to call satisfactory i suppose, this guy is a real critique artist when it comes to getting things like this right. he builds custom race set ups in bmw, alfa romeo, fiat, and other european cars, granted most of them are older he does know what he is doing, i just think he hasnt played with a e46 s/c kit since most of his set ups are turbo.
anyways my car should be done today and i am just waiting for ups to deliver my dme, wish it would've got sent to the shop where i had it shipped from, oh well.
If for some reason they are still having an issue, give us a call. Otherwise enjoy it.
Active Autowerke II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
325ifc3s

yeah kirk, i just got it back from the shop, i have been there for the last 4 hours trying to make the bumper fit and the hood close without the grills hitting the oil cooler. i gotta tell you man, since you guys changed some of the parts on the kit there are a lot of little mods needed to make it work with the car. there was a intercooler pipe that had to be fabbed and the inner structure of the bumper had to be cut to allow clearance for the intercooler, after it was pushed back as far as it could go against the electric fan. then we had to cut away the rubber pieces on the inside of the kidneys so they wouldnt hit the oil cooler.
but now since that is done with i am enjoying the car a lot more now than i ever did before, so for that part i love it but the rest (install) i think a few things need to be re looked at for a direct plug and play.
almost forgot, the air filter piping was a good length and everything but you didnt send a plug kit to extend the maf plugs so they had to leave a section of the intake pipe off until i can re wire the maf to extend the wires to reach. thats what the shop told me anyways.

Last edited by 325ifc3s; 09-26-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
mm325

My Ride: ESSe36325is,04zhp
Are you in the KC metro? Just curious which shop you used.
mm325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #12
Saintly

My Ride: ....
Just completed an install on 04 325...all done in approx 10hrs, no modifications. Maybe because I have done them before it makes it easier but its straight forward really. Car started first pop. i would always recommend calling AA if things look like needing modification. Hope your all sorted now.

Gone to new home:-
Fastest ET 11.41@126.09mph
Highest MPH 129.49mph
Highest HP 631rwhp Dynodynamics
Saintly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
325ifc3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm325 View Post
Are you in the KC metro? Just curious which shop you used.
no, i live in wichita. i used european car here in town. david the owner is a good guy and knows his stuff so i decided to use him for the install. there were just too many small things that needed to be addressed in order for this to be perfect, and thats how david wants things, always.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #14
InterlagosMcoupe

My Ride: M coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ifc3s View Post
yeah kirk, i just got it back from the shop, i have been there for the last 4 hours trying to make the bumper fit and the hood close without the grills hitting the oil cooler. i gotta tell you man, since you guys changed some of the parts on the kit there are a lot of little mods needed to make it work with the car. there was a intercooler pipe that had to be fabbed and the inner structure of the bumper had to be cut to allow clearance for the intercooler, after it was pushed back as far as it could go against the electric fan. then we had to cut away the rubber pieces on the inside of the kidneys so they wouldnt hit the oil cooler.
but now since that is done with i am enjoying the car a lot more now than i ever did before, so for that part i love it but the rest (install) i think a few things need to be re looked at for a direct plug and play.
almost forgot, the air filter piping was a good length and everything but you didnt send a plug kit to extend the maf plugs so they had to leave a section of the intake pipe off until i can re wire the maf to extend the wires to reach. thats what the shop told me anyways.

The cutting is pretty standard, your shop should have known they needed to do it from begin with. They also should have been more then capable to extend the MAF wires without a "kit". Again this is VERY standard stuff. And the piping can be a bit of a pain, but an experienced shop should be able to work through it very easily.

I would suggest next time you take your car to a different shop as that one clearly does not have the proper experience to be working on your car.
InterlagosMcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
325ifc3s

this guy has plenty of experience but it is a perfectionist when it comes to things like this. he builds custom turbo set ups for cars from alfa's to porsche's. he has done a few super chargers but not dealt with a pre built kit and i was wondering if any one else had the same problems and expressing the things he told me.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #16
Rog323

My Ride: 135I, 06 Treg V8
Hey guys, how much a shop usually charge for a install?

When idle time is expoentially increased the result is stupidity on a massive scale.
Rog323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
Active Autowerke II
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
Send a message via AIM to Active Autowerke II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog323 View Post
Hey guys, how much a shop usually charge for a install?
The charge for an install depends on the shop's labor rate, but figure that it will be about 10-12 hours of labor.
Active Autowerke II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:54 AM   #18
brycerichert

My Ride: SC'd e46 & 2011 5.0
My install was 14 hours for both sc and Devil's Own Injection at $95/hour.

Was that good or bad? I really don't know.

All I know is I couldn't do it myself and wouldn't want to even attempt it.

Track car: 2011 GT 5.0

E46 328i
RIP - VF blown w/meth inj. - ucc sways - TC Kline S/A - staggered
brycerichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #19
TioTitin'sBlau3

My Ride: 03 TopazBlau3
Send a message via Yahoo to TioTitin'sBlau3
Don't mean to thread jack but KIRK/ or anyone, is this problem with all 325i's or is it a production year? Or is the problem that you had to fab certian things a coupe or sedan issue. I'm ready to buy the AA kit and plan on doing the install myself, just need to know if its going to be headache? Thanks for anyone's input, I don't feel like starting the project myself to find out that I need to spend additional cash flow for no reason.

///M South on Facebook
TioTitin'sBlau3 is offline   Reply With Quote