E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
325ifc3s

My Ride: blown 325i
having big problems help if you would please

ok, so i got the AA kit put on friday and all was well, then the ses light came on, showed cam position sensor, and idle control valve stuck open. never had a prob before so cleared and didnt come back on. NEXT: the eml and traction lights came on, did some reading found it was probably maf and filter location, so i fixed all that, lights went off and all seemed well, felt a little weaker than from when i first got it back from the shop.(still havent gone over 3k rpm for break in)
PROBLEM: i get about 100mi on my car with the kit on and i am going for a stroll on the highway, i accel on the on ramp, doesnt feel boosted, felt just as it did stock? (didnt have boot gauge on yet) well after about 30 sec of accelerating the car shutters and white smoke comes from exhaust and the eml and traction lights come on. then the car dies.
i turned everything off and waited a few min, looked and saw no external leaks but can clearly see oil coming out of the pipes.
i started the car to see if it was just a glitch from boost or something, car was hard to start and was still smoking, no eml or ses but a lot of smoke so i shut off and got it towed to bmw. any ideas of the problem? oh i checked all the lines and i saw no leakes and the inter cooler piping was all secure and no leaks. thanks in advance
325ifc3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
ridin325

My Ride: 2013 911 C2S
Do your exhaust gasses smell sweet?
ridin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
325ifc3s

nope, just smells like burnt oil, didnt blow a head gasket if thats what your thinking. there was actually oil dripping from the tailpipe after i shut it off.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
jetskier88

My Ride: 330i ZHP S/C TS2+
Send a message via AIM to jetskier88
that is pretty weird... did you do the installation on your own? i suggest you give AA a call on Monday.. sorry to hear... it sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your tuning, if your installation was done correctly.. you might be running wayyy to rich
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
jetskier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
325ifc3s

i dont know as i am running really rich, cant smell rich fumes, well no more than when my car was stock and normally just at start up could they be smelled. would anyone have any idea as to how oil is getting into the combustion chamber and coming out of my exhaust? that is i think the biggest problem right now.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Jeffxxx

My Ride: 02 SLOW lsb m3
Blow by on your piston rings?

nwbmwclub.com
Jeffxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
325ifc3s

so how would i go about determining if that is the case and how would i go about solving it if that is the problem?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Faulty supercharger oil seals? GL
Old 09-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
325ifc3s

it might be that, wont know till tomorrow when the tech looks at it. i just hope its not internal on the motor.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
The SC doesn't run on engine oil, and I think the traction oil that the rotrex unit uses would all burn prior to leaking out of the exhaust.

When idling, take your oil cap off and see if any smoke comes out.

If the kit wasn't properly installed, it's possible that you blew out your crankcase seals.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #11
Saintly

My Ride: ....
I'd say that you have not plumbed the crank case vent/breather correctly and it is pressurising the sump. I would not look for the worst case scenario more that you have missed something simple. Most of all problems that happen within the first 1000ks are from install errror in my experience. Check the instructions and your breather vent piping.

Gone to new home:-
Fastest ET 11.41@126.09mph
Highest MPH 129.49mph
Highest HP 631rwhp Dynodynamics
Saintly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
325ifc3s

i asked the dealership to check those two things for me and they pretty much said they wont touch my car mechanically anymore. the shop i had do the install thinks its the head gasket but i dont see how, not leaking from the head, no sweat smell in the exhaust, only oil dripping out. but then again the signs of a blown head gasket are there in ways. the smoke is white(AA said that is for blown head gasket) and the dealer before i had it towed to the installer said i was low on oil and coolant, and i was not low on either when i went in for a check up last week before i had the install done. only time will tell, but thats what i know for now, i really hope its not the head gasket.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 AM   #13
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Any updates?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
325ifc3s

as of right now i have no definate answers, the shop that did the install checked with an indie master bmw tech and he said that it didnt have to be overheated or warped head or anything to blow a head gasket, some m54's i guess have a head stud problem and causes them to stretch and in some cases even break and that might be the problem. i asked my installer to check the crank case valve vent and also the crank case seals(no word yet) before he started to dismantle and take the head off, but even if thats what the problem is i dont think he is really willing to admit fault for the install not being 100%. they have been calling AA and trying to see if the plumbing is/was 100%, but no definite answer yet. just by chance the head studs were faulty and stretched who would that be on? BMW, ME, or what? the car is still cpo and if i am not mistaken i think there was a service bulletin on the studs but no recall was ever made.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #15
BmwMan325

My Ride: 2011 Infiniti G37s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ifc3s View Post
as of right now i have no definate answers, the shop that did the install checked with an indie master bmw tech and he said that it didnt have to be overheated or warped head or anything to blow a head gasket, some m54's i guess have a head stud problem and causes them to stretch and in some cases even break and that might be the problem. i asked my installer to check the crank case valve vent and also the crank case seals(no word yet) before he started to dismantle and take the head off, but even if thats what the problem is i dont think he is really willing to admit fault for the install not being 100%. they have been calling AA and trying to see if the plumbing is/was 100%, but no definite answer yet. just by chance the head studs were faulty and stretched who would that be on? BMW, ME, or what? the car is still cpo and if i am not mistaken i think there was a service bulletin on the studs but no recall was ever made.
Even with your CPO and everything, you are gonna have one hell of a time fighting BMW to pay for it after you modified your car so much, like your dealer said they wont touch your car....
Old 09-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ifc3s View Post
I thought the problem was that overheating caused the studs to stretch?

Have you, before or since the install, performed a leak down or compression test? Seems like this would be the best place to start before tearing into the motor.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #17
325ifc3s

the shop is still double checking all their plumbing and probably wont get to really start diagnosing until tomorrow or the next day, i wish i was still in town so i could get all this done myself, but un fortunately in this case i work on the road and am currently about 12 hours from home and will be for the next couple months. i thought it was also and i have never overheated my car or even came close to it, and as for the previous owner(1) he had never taken the car to the shop for a over heating issue and in the service reports at the dealer show the car just had a flush 13,000 mi. ago. i just dont see how it could be my head gasket. i mean, i didnt even go above 5k rpm when the car started the hiccup then white smoke then dying, all happened within 30 sec of hitting the gas on the on-ramp. oh, there is no external leaking either.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
A leak down test would pretty quickly confirm whether or not it's the head gasket.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #19
325ifc3s

i am aware of that, i had just asked the shop to double check all their work before doing anything else. i am sure when they really get a chance to diagnose they will do that.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #20
325ifc3s

update:
so i called the shop today and they found the problem. THEY, hooked up some line from the crankcase valve or the oil return line or something wrong. the tech told me that on the instructions for all those hoses it said 328 and 330 only but they knew that those were the old instructions and neglected to call AA for that portion of the install i guess. so good news for me, i get my car back tomorrow from the shop, but i wont personally get it until next week when my dad delivers it to me here in Minnesota. i'll post up exactly what they did wrong tomorrow after my dad gets my car and the exact run down of what they did wrong.