E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
Sigboi

My Ride: '12 Leaf EV, 03 325i
DIY: Getting to the heater core without removing dash

Hey everyone, I had recently tackled the heater core on my '03 325i and wanted to share a couple pics of how I got to it without removing the dash. Most DIY's I found had you removing most of the dash and I had read other threads that it wasn't necessary.

After removing shifter surround, remove storage compartments, then climate control and stereo.

So here's a few photos, it looks like it was designed to come out this way. Pretty easy.

Sigboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
fpa1974

My Ride: 330i
Great job

I was getting ready to remove the dash on my 05 330i. This saved me a lot of work

Other than the heater core itself what other parts (o-rings, clips, etc) should be ordered for the job?

Thanks!
fpa1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:58 AM   #3
Sigboi

Glad this helped. You want to keep track of where the little silver clips that hold the lid on the heater core box, they're small and go flying when you pry them off.

Also, I ordered a behr heater core and it did not come with the two o-rings, so I had to run to the dealer to get them. Besides that everything went smoothly.

Cheers

Last edited by Sigboi; 01-25-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
How corroded was the heater core?
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Sigboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
How corroded was the heater core?
Mine was actually in great condition, no corrosion w/ 220k miles, just had a pinhole leak that was causing that film on the windshield and that coolant smell was giving everyone headaches.

Last edited by Sigboi; 01-25-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
markusmarkus

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto
Does anyone know which is the inlet and which is the outlet port on the heater core? I got the heater hoses mixed up, and need to confirm if im hooked up correctly. Pretty sure Im not but why do I still get heat? Please let me know, cannot find anything on google. The realoem diagram is retarded as well for this.
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
jamesbice

My Ride: 2001 M3
Any chance the photos could be linked again?
jamesbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
markusmarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
Does anyone know which is the inlet and which is the outlet port on the heater core? I got the heater hoses mixed up, and need to confirm if im hooked up correctly. Pretty sure Im not but why do I still get heat? Please let me know, cannot find anything on google. The realoem diagram is retarded as well for this.

I bet it doesn't matter!! The core is nothing more than a tube with aluminum fins. The direction of coolant flow won't matter.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:56 AM   #10
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I bet it doesn't matter!! The core is nothing more than a tube with aluminum fins. The direction of coolant flow won't matter.
Thanks but I would love some confirmation. Cannot believe how impossible it is to find the right answer. This was one time where I wish I remembered how all these pipes sat before removing them
Old 10-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
Em, tried to PM you but your mailbox is full.

I hope this helps...

The hose that attaches to the left side (sitting in the car) of the heater core also attaches to the top, rear part of the water valve.

I remember when I did mine, one looked slightly scrunched and sure enough, I'd managed to reverse them somehow. In any case, hope that helps.

If it doesn't, come to my show this coming Sat. Oct 8, at the Greenwich Village Comedy Club at 6 p.m. (ticket's on me!) and I'll have my car nearby and after the show we can compare side-to-side so you can rest easy! 99 Macdougal St. Let me know if this helps!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Em, tried to PM you but your mailbox is full.

I hope this helps...

The hose that attaches to the left side (sitting in the car) of the heater core also attaches to the top, rear part of the water valve.

I remember when I did mine, one looked slightly scrunched and sure enough, I'd managed to reverse them somehow. In any case, hope that helps.

If it doesn't, come to my show this coming Sat. Oct 8, at the Greenwich Village Comedy Club at 6 p.m. (ticket's on me!) and I'll have my car nearby and after the show we can compare side-to-side so you can rest easy! 99 Macdougal St. Let me know if this helps!
Hey Dmax! Thank you so much for your help! Really appreciate it. So I was routed incorrectly after all if what you say is true because they are reversed at the ports. What's strange is they look legit either way you put them which is why I was confused. Either way, no overheat and I get heat from vents, so I won't touch it til the next time I do coolant work.. scared I may get some air in there.

Really appreciate the invite, but don't think I can make it. Good luck though, I'll check you out on YouTube

:beer:
Old 10-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #13
dmax

Quote:
Hey Dmax! Thank you so much for your help! Really appreciate it. So I was routed incorrectly after all if what you say is true because they are reversed at the ports. What's strange is they look legit either way you put them which is why I was confused. Either way, no overheat and I get heat from vents, so I won't touch it til the next time I do coolant work.. scared I may get some air in there.

Really appreciate the invite, but don't think I can make it. Good luck though, I'll check you out on YouTube

:beer:
You're welcome! Hope you can make it to a show someday...it'd be nice finally meeting you!
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
You're welcome! Hope you can make it to a show someday...it'd be nice finally meeting you!
Yep, same here I think our cars are the same color. 364 paint?

Last edited by EmFiftyFour; 10-08-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #15
dmax

Quote:
Yep, same here I think our cars are the same color. 364 paint?
I think mine is 386, Fern Green Metallic. I didn't care about the color when I got it...I just needed a 3 and a manual! Years later, though, it finally grew on me when I realized no one in NYC is looking to steal anything in green.

Also, when the Apocalypse comes, I can hide well in a forest.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
EmFiftyFour

Quote:
I think mine is 386, Fern Green Metallic. I didn't care about the color when I got it...I just needed a 3 and a manual! Years later, though, it finally grew on me when I realized no one in NYC is looking to steal anything in green.

Also, when the Apocalypse comes, I can hide well in a forest.
Haha good one.. I'll hide in the ocean