E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #41
madmonkeywoot

My Ride: 2004 325i
Sorry to jack and dig up an old thread but I found something interesting in my trunk...today I was changing out my tails to clears and pulled back the trunk liner and was just kinda checking things out cuz I just bought the DICE ipod kit online and figured I might as well see where the wires are and how much of a PITA this will be...anyway sitting ontop of the two shelf things was a medal box with two wires plugged into it (one kinda looked like a telephone cord)...i thought that was interesting since I saw the amp plugged in behind everything and I was curious as to what it was I just brushed off...then I found this DIY and just now realized that the box was actually the bluetooth module.

So now im super exicted cuz I want blue tooth but dont want to spend 750 to do it...but when I push my steering wheel controls nothing happens at all, so what do I have to do to make it work? should i start taking apart the center cnsol to see if there's a pairing button under there? would i just need to get the wires for the pairing button to make it work?

2004 325i, I have the "prewired for bluetooth" on my trunk also, and have the microphone, my owners manual (bought it cpo in jan) has a bluetooth phone code on a card thing...the funny part is I asked the salesman at the stealership if it had bluetooth he said no?
madmonkeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #42
steelerfan

My Ride: 04 330i Silver Grey
^^^ do u have a pairing button? It's located under your armres (not to be confused with the man on your steering wheel).. Do you have NAV? If so, when you press the menu button do you see the word "Telephone"??
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #43
madmonkeywoot

I don't have a pairing button or NAV...when i push the buttons on the steering wheel nothing happens. I also have the SOS button on the rear view mirror...could this module be for the BMW assist or is for the bluetooth? It looks identical to the module in this DIY.

I know from my service history that the cup holders were replaced by the previous owner. Im going to take apart and the center console when I get home and look for the wires and the bluetooth wireless device.

I'll take pictures of the box and anything else I find too...if it is a bluetooth module would this be as simple as getting the pairing button and the wireless device to make it work?

My car also was produced in 06/04 and when I push the SOS button nothing happens also

Last edited by madmonkeywoot; 04-01-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #44
madmonkeywoot

nevermind I did some searching and found a BMW TSB explaining things...

For E46/E83/E85/E53 vehicles produced
between 3/2004 and 8/2004, are equipped with a
TCU that does not support Bluetooth. On these
vehicles the TCU can be replaced at the
customer's expense with a 2005 MY TCU.
Cradles may not be added to these vehicles
because of wiring incompatibility.
***56256;***56442; Please disregard the Owner's Manual insert,
shown to the left, indicating Bluetooth
functionality. The hardware in these vehicles
will not work correctly.

Edit:

When I push the SOS button shouldn't this activate assist and send me to an automated message telling me that my subscription is expired? Also if I wanted bluetooth I would only need the bluteooth ULF or a new bluetooth TCU and replace it with the assist TCU to make it work as I understand it I should already have the bluetooth antenna installed

Last edited by madmonkeywoot; 04-01-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #45
xlash

My Ride: '05 325i MT
I am wondering why most of the folks are buying a ULF when they can get a TCU for a lot cheaper and not have to deal with the pairing button!?!
xlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #46
xxenycejattxx

My Ride: 330i 600RR
Wink why remove pin 7 & 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudealicious View Post
just out of curiosity and because there's no mention of this in any other posts i can find, why are pins 7 & 8 removed?
thanks
if you dont remove these pins on E46 BMWs only...the speedometer won't work!!!
Make sure you do this or u'll have to open up the trunk again to remove pins!!!

xxenycejattxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #47
Walt..

My Ride: BMW 330i ZHP
Great rightup. Pictures and all.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #48
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Is this the same for the SOS button? meaning do you need the bluetooth installed to get the SOS button to work? And if your car says prewired for Bluetooth phone does that mean it is also prewired for the SOS button?

I want to install the SOS button on my 2001 330i.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #49
Implse1

My Ride: 04 330ci
The SOS button is part of the BMW assist set up. You are not required to have bluetooth in order for that to work, but you do at least need a TCU and shark fin in order for assist to work. The Bluetooth comes with the newer TCU and lets you have the best of both worlds, but in order for the assist to work when installing the TCU it usually needs dealer programming.
Implse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #50
delmarco

I just realized I have the BMW Bluetooth to CD53 and MK4 owner's booklet in my glovebox.
Very insightful stuff:

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #51
delmarco

I just realized I have the BMW Bluetooth to CD53 and MK4 owner's booklet in my glovebox.
Very insightful stuff:

Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #52
AUTOBOTInquirer

My Ride: BMW330i
Bluetooth Function

Hey guys I own a 2003 BMW 330i
Does this device allow A2DP audio transmission (streaming music) function? I was looking at the Parrot Bluetooth MKI9000, MKI9100, and MKI9200. I really don't care for how it attaches to the car aesthetically. I am not a fan of the 9100 and 9200 because of the screens and how cheap they look. All I want to do is Stream music from my bluetooth device (hopefully with a device that attaches incognito) to my car, taking full advantage of the premium audio PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	autobot frame.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	490926  
AUTOBOTInquirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #53
sbowden99

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Just completed the OEM Bluetooth install on my 2004 325Ci. Worked perfectly, only caveat being that I required BT module part number 84109120844, as opposed to

"BLUETOOTH MODULE PART #84106969268"

--Seth
sbowden99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluetooth install, bluetooth installation, bluetooth instructions, bluetooth module, how to install bluetooth