E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
hotbimmer_e46

My Ride: Bmw 320 m sport vert
Rear Brake light warning goes on and off on dash

Hi all,

I got a minor problem with my E46 coupe, the rear brake warning lights comes on the dash board even though its working perfectly, never had problems with the brake lights but keeps going on for a while then eventually goes off for some time.

What could the problem be?

Also I have noticed that the left tail light is brighter than the other, what could this be?
hotbimmer_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
SEDUCTIV

My Ride: is Better Than Yours
check the bulb, it could be that the bulb is not connected properly
SEDUCTIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
The bulb could be going -- I had a left tailight-out error (before the Eagle Eyes) and went to check... all the lights were on, so I removed the working bulb and cleaned it, then the warning turned off... then the bulb died two blocks later and the warning light came on again.
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
Taillight Fix
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm1991 View Post
Don't think that applies to coupes...
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
DesertMotorWorks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2004 330CI
There's an SIB for this issue, but the SIB is for sedans. I'll see what I can dig up about couples.
DesertMotorWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
hotbimmer_e46

My Ride: Bmw 320 m sport vert
Thanks for the replies, one other thing i have just noticed - one of the rear fog lights have fused, do you think it could be this that causing the light to come on the dash computer?
hotbimmer_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
tbehling

My Ride: 2002 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
i dont think so either, i dont have the tab to ground out the brown wire. where else can it be connected to?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
First, replace the bulb. That is the most economical option. If that hasn't fixed it, then it'd the holder. That's it. Most likely the bulb though.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
neil1138

Sometimes bulbs can "go bad" without actually going bad, if you feel me
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
bzishka

My Ride: Bmw 323i
i have the same problem with my 323i sedan, how do i fix it
bzishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
IceDon

My Ride: E46 328i
Hey guys!! I've been around this site ever since i got my beamer but never got the time to register until today, As I'm always viewing via iPhone... I know this is an old post but I have the same problem...sometimes I'll have to leave my car in accessory mode so I can leave on time to get where I need to go, otherwise I will be struggling trying to get my brake light to stay off.I will be on the highway doing 70mph & my brake light will be popping up on the dash, it use to go on & off but now it stays on until it feels like shutting off...any fix? another thing I've notice when this happens is that my seat belt light also stays on when this is happening then once in a blue moon i will see the air bag light flashes on & off then everything works flawless again until i turn the car off fully....Help Plz!!

Edit: I will try the taillight Fix first

Last edited by IceDon; 02-18-2014 at 07:54 AM.
IceDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #13
tbehling

My Ride: 2002 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDon View Post
Hey guys!! I've been around this site ever since i got my beamer but never got the time to register until today, As I'm always viewing via iPhone... I know this is an old post but I have the same problem...sometimes I'll have to leave my car in accessory mode so I can leave on time to get where I need to go, otherwise I will be struggling trying to get my brake light to stay off.I will be on the highway doing 70mph & my brake light will be popping up on the dash, it use to go on & off but now it stays on until it feels like shutting off...any fix? another thing I've notice when this happens is that my seat belt light also stays on when this is happening then once in a blue moon i will see the air bag light flashes on & off then everything works flawless again until i turn the car off fully....Help Plz!!

Edit: I will try the taillight Fix first

When you say the brake light pops up on your dash, I think that's probably for the emergency brake. Check the sensor to see if it needs to be adjusted. I had a similar issue where going over a bump or rough road would trigger the e-brake sensor but not actually the emergency brakes themselves.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
Yossarian

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
Maybe the service bulletin didn't apply to coupes, but the problem can be there.

I had a similar issue. One side was brighter than the other. But it wasn't intermittent for me because my license plate lights were also out. Since I did the tail light fix first, the warning light stayed on until I fixed the other lights.

It was caused by the grounding problem in my coupe. The connector for the brown wire was burned. I did the bypass by putting a short sheet metal screw into the metal since there was no tab to hook on to. Took all of 5 minutes and it worked.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
IceDon

My Ride: E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbehling View Post
When you say the brake light pops up on your dash, I think that's probably for the emergency brake. Check the sensor to see if it needs to be adjusted. I had a similar issue where going over a bump or rough road would trigger the e-brake sensor but not actually the emergency brakes themselves.
Nah I meant the light that comes on when the bulb is out I guess?!? you know when u pop the trunk or open the doors the light comes on? well those lights is what I meant but the rear ones.. thx 4 reply tho
IceDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light, rear, tail, warning