E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
dragonf1y

My Ride: 2003 330i
Software for a '03 330i steptronic?

I have searched a bunch, only to confuse myself further.

I want to upgrade the software in my '03 330i with steptronic tranny.

I plan to add a CAI later.

I'm not rich so $$$ is a factor, though not the deciding one.

Advice?
dragonf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Neither one is worth it. The steptronic software does little to nothing, and the cold air intake does little to nothing as well. If you have the type of money to do that, and want an actual gain, get a diff or headers.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
shointake

My Ride: 2001 e46 330i
what kpeng said

this is what your gonna need for Max performance out of your normal I/h/E + software package

1-Intake with a Intake Housing Box running snorkel system or a Cold Air intake system * real one, not a short ram with a Intake heatshield * other two mentioned will prove more power, But at least you have a intake system rite * Ugghh *

2-Headers, SuperSprint replica's will prove HP but make sure u coat them with ceramic paint and reweld the outlets and inlets and wrap them in thermal wrap for further heat reduction * kpeng is the master of that, note - his links in his signature *

3-Exhaust system - full catback from headers back , but if your short on cash, like the most of us, a quality muffler with resonator Deletes running stock Piping is almost good enough. If u got the ENDS for it, run a custom piping from headers back to the aftermarket Muffler, make sure its a quality one, not just a generic muffler from APC or something like that.

4-software- Performance software is where u will get your monies worth with everything mentiond above, it corrects fuel/ timing and cam shaft and all that good stuff for more Ponies. Also since u have a step, the step tranny software will help in gaining u a higher redline and taking away that nasty speed governor.

Im sure with all 4 products mentioned, u can be happily please with 35+ HP to the wheels
shointake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Dhohn

My Ride: 3 e30's and a 03 330
^^^^ Your trying to make a joke right....??? The guys with 5 Speeds dont net that kind of power gains from these kind of mods, so theres no way that this guy is going to with a auto.

If you are trying to gain some more power either get yourself a diff or save up for a supercharger kit, plain and simple..
Dhohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
dragonf1y

My Ride: 2003 330i
Thank you all for your help and advice.

I think I will focus more on making it look nice and upgrading the sound system... Making it a nice ass commuter.

If I ever get around to picking up a manual, I will focus more on high-perfomance.

Thanks Again!
dragonf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Overboost

My Ride: 2002 325i
kpeng is correct. I have 02 325 with Dinan Stage 1 engine and steptronic. I added SMG steering wheel with paddles and wired them into the transmission controller. Total cost was $500 for the Dinan upgrades and $1100 for the steering wheel, airbag and column connector. $1600.00 and no real significant change that can justify the cost. Cool factor maybe...
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shointake View Post
2-Headers, SuperSprint replica's will prove HP but make sure u coat them with ceramic paint and reweld the outlets and inlets and wrap them in thermal wrap for further heat reduction * kpeng is the master of that, note - his links in his signature *
You dont want to wrap them and use ceramic coating it will keep to much heat in and cause cracking, well thats what I read somewhere anyways..

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|

Last edited by SWINFORD; 10-14-2008 at 11:37 AM.
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
wlmmn

My Ride: 02 330ci+05AudiAllro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Neither one is worth it. The steptronic software does little to nothing, and the cold air intake does little to nothing as well. If you have the type of money to do that, and want an actual gain, get a diff or headers.
OK, the steptronic [transmission] software does little to nothing, but what about Dinan engine software......worth the $300+?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmmn View Post
OK, the steptronic [transmission] software does little to nothing, but what about Dinan engine software......worth the $300+?
If you get engine software, get Active instead. Dinan is always so very conservative and overpriced. If you catch Active's while it's on sale ($250), it's well worth it. Better throttle response, top speed removed, and redline raised are all very nice things to have.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
wlmmn

My Ride: 02 330ci+05AudiAllro
Thanks kpeng.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
1lum1nat1

My Ride: 2004 330i
Hello gentleman.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I can't get any info regarding performance upgrades on the 330i steptronic. I've got a a 2004 330i with 107000 km's on the clock.

Now the thing is, I live in South Africa & performance parts are'nt readily available. (or rather for every car)

There are a few things that I'll be able to obtain locally, like a K&N 57i induction kit or a Simota Carbon Fiber Aero Form & I'm looking @ a custom Exhaust system from Powerflow, these guys know what they're doing, but I have no idea how the auto box would react to these upgrades.

We've also got a few tuners that would be able to make me a custom map as I won't be importing any piggy back system.

Thanks for any & all advice/suggestions.

Last edited by 1lum1nat1; 11-07-2009 at 06:11 AM.
1lum1nat1 is offline   Reply With Quote