E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
Lightbulb DIY: Aligning Xenon Headlights for Dummies

Hey guys,

For those who need to align their headlights and have been scared of the process, here is a DIY that should be easy to understand.

First, here is a picture of where the adjustment screws can be found on your vehicle:

Last but not least, the DIY:

Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
lol nice disclaimer

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
eagle670

My Ride: 199 323i E46
One Stupid ?

Thanks for this DIY. My stupid question is when turning the height adjustment screw clockwise, does this raise or lower the light and also the same stupid question for the side to side adjustment.
My reason to ask is that these things are hard enough to get to and I want to make sure to turn them the right direction the first time. Thanks!
eagle670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
rovert

Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
I can't remember. I just turn the screwdriver and watch the light. If it's going the wrong way I turn the opposite direction. It shouldn't be that hard to get to?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
hey rovert, i just got some p46s and the pasenger beam is high and im turning it to lower however i think ive gone the max it will go and it just keeps turning with no lowering. the passenger beam is VERY high still... is there any other way to adjust this and why is it so high still?

thanks in advance
alibusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle670 View Post
Thanks for this DIY. My stupid question is when turning the height adjustment screw clockwise, does this raise or lower the light and also the same stupid question for the side to side adjustment.
My reason to ask is that these things are hard enough to get to and I want to make sure to turn them the right direction the first time. Thanks!
lowers the headlight. that is my picture of the adjustment screws posted.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibusoul View Post
hey rovert, i just got some p46s and the pasenger beam is high and im turning it to lower however i think ive gone the max it will go and it just keeps turning with no lowering. the passenger beam is VERY high still... is there any other way to adjust this and why is it so high still?

thanks in advance
because they are p46s, they don't exactly work the same way as OEMs. sometimes those stupid knobs don't even work on the p46s. you'll just have to keep trying at it. if it still doesn't work, i suggest opening the headlight (just take the headlight lens off) and pushing down on the reflector bowl. see if that does anything.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:16 AM   #8
alibusoul

ok thanks sillie i guess the projector just came aimed too high bc it will go up and down, however the lowest itll go is about 1ft over a perfectly level drivers side. i sat there for about 2 min with a screwdriver then i gave up. it feels broken but i know its not bc it works....

can the projector be pushed down with little resistance?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
alibusoul

when i screwed it (clockwise of course) it just kept slipping... what do you think this indicates?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
when i screwed it (clockwise of course) it just kept slipping... what do you think this indicates?
reached the end, broken gear or gear off track.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #11
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
reached the end, broken gear or gear off track.
+1

Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
sillieidiot

Quote:
ok thanks sillie i guess the projector just came aimed too high bc it will go up and down, however the lowest itll go is about 1ft over a perfectly level drivers side. i sat there for about 2 min with a screwdriver then i gave up. it feels broken but i know its not bc it works....

can the projector be pushed down with little resistance?
check to make sure you installed the headlight in correctly first. sometimes you can get it in, but if it's not going in those 2 prongs, the light isn't sitting right. everything will bolt right up though

Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
alibusoul

well my p46s came with the headlight washer bracket preinstalled so it got in the way with the one installed on the car. the one that is installed on the car is what you screw those back 2 screws in to secure the headlight. that braket is screwed on to the car with 2 screws in the front so i took those out and put in the p46s... those front screws were a PAIN to screw back in with the headlight on, i almost resorted to take off the bumper, but just removing the fender well was semi ok... so after some scratched up hands i got my p46s on, the hard way (i know that there could have been some other way haha but i was being stubborn). So now my headlights are on via 4 screws but not the 4 screws that everyone usaually uses. that may be why my projectors are off. and also i believe that the "adjustment limits" for the p46s is smaller than oem. however, i did what u told me sillie and i pushed down the projector and it works now!! thanks!
Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #14
sillieidiot

no problem, glad you resolved you issues almost pain-free lol

Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #15
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
how high should the lower tape be on the wall? Also how far apart from left to right?

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|

Last edited by Bimmer Dude Xi; 11-19-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #16
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Thats really helpful thanks. i wat to know what is the right height for the headlight? Thanks.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #17
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
how high should the lower tape be on the wall? Also how far apart from left to right?
it's different for every car, so just follow the instructions. he tells you where to put it

Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
sillieidiot

guys read step 1 lol

Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #19
TopasBlau46

My Ride: 2001 E46 325ci ZSP
+1

It's a good start, but no specifics as to how high up the beams should be, nor how far apart they should be at 35 feet. At 80 feet, the beams should come together into one beam, so there's some trigonometry for you when you get the numbers!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
rovert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopasBlau46 View Post
+1

It's a good start, but no specifics as to how high up the beams should be, nor how far apart they should be at 35 feet. At 80 feet, the beams should come together into one beam, so there's some trigonometry for you when you get the numbers!
When you car is that close to the wall. It doesn't matter if the light is pointed up/down incorrectly. The first step of tape will always be relative to your vehicle's ride height in most poeple's cases. Now if you're slammed maybe that 2.5" might be too much. If you've got a 2 foot lift kit on, then maybe 2.5" will be too little. You'll have to make that decision and also guage upon how oncoming drivers treat you and adjust from there.

I thought step three provides enough information to aligning the headlights right/left-wise.

Tags
align xenon bmw