E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
neil1138

safe to unplug MAF?

I think my MAF is bad so is there any way to test it? Like unplugging it and driving around? Just to see if the problem is still there? Thanks.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
how will unplugging the MAF tell you if there's a problem with it or not???

will the car even run without the MAF?
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
issacsierra06

My Ride: bmw 325i
whats going on with ur car first of all?? my car was acting retarded last year turning off and on ended up being cam position sensor after i did some research up on here
Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
neil1138

Are you serious? If I unplug the MAF, the car is going to run off some kind of safe mode or something and if my problem is gone, then I know it's the MAF. I just don't want to drop $300 on a MAF without knowing it's the problem.

I just want to know if it's safe and ok.

And I have already replaced ten things trying to find the problem. I don't want to troubleshoot here, I just want to know if it's ok to run with an unplugged MAF.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
jeffro3000

my moms e39 needed a new MAF. the symptoms were random misfires, mild loss of power, and eventually the car would not idle. if your foot was not on the gas, it would immediately die.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
Are you serious? If I unplug the MAF, the car is going to run off some kind of safe mode or something and if my problem is gone, then I know it's the MAF. I just don't want to drop $300 on a MAF without knowing it's the problem.

And I have already replaced ten things trying to find the problem. I don't want to troubleshoot here, I just want to know if it's ok to run with an unplugged MAF.
im 99% sure unplugging the MAF will not diagnose your problem.

What is the problem you're having??
Old 10-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
neil1138

Look for my past threads called "jerky acceleration at 50mph". There's my problem, I thought it was fixed after I replaced my CCV but no... This BMW is turning out to be a hellhole. I'm about to the point where I want to say fvck this car, I'm done.

I've had my Indy shop look at it, the dealer look at it, and I've thrown multiple parts at it to try and fix it. The only things I haven't replaced are my MAF, cam sensor, and O2 sensors
Old 10-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

Quote:
Look for my past threads called "jerky acceleration at 50mph". There's my problem, I thought it was fixed after I replaced my CCV but no... This BMW is turning out to be a hellhole. I'm about to the point where I want to say fvck this car, I'm done.

I've had my Indy shop look at it, the dealer look at it, and I've thrown multiple parts at it to try and fix it. The only things I haven't replaced are my MAF, cam sensor, and O2 sensors
My question to you would be have you tried cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner, I would suggest that before you replace the one you currently have in your vehicle. Its a real easy DIY, AutoZone or any auto parts store will have MAF cleaner fluid. Simply remove the MAF, spray it completely wait for it to air dry completely and re-install it. This should give you and indication of whether or not your MAF is a part of the problem. My only other question is how many miles you have on your vehicle? Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...824&highlight=
Try that, the shop i took it too said that my software was out of date...
Old 10-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
You can start the car without the MAF pluged in and it will run fine but you can not drive it like that.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
did you even try cleaning the maf with crc maf cleaner?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
neil1138

Well I just got back from walmart and I thought I would check and see if they had CRC MAF cleaner, they did not. So I finished my shopping and took the twisties back home, (twisty roads in oklahoma?, yeah there are some) and she drives like a dream! Before I left, I checked the car out, topped off my power steering fluid and checked the MAF, and somehow, the problem isnt there anymore. I just dont know guys.

The only things left that I havent replaced are the:

MAF
cam sensor
crank sensor
O2 sensors
fuel pump.

I've pretty much thrown a lot of parts at it in the past 6 months; CCV, spark plugs, fuel filter, and coil packs. I'll clean the MAF but im kinda hesitant because I've heard horror stories about how after cleaning, cars wouldnt start and so forth. IMO, if it aint broken, dont fix it. So for such an expensive thing as the MAF, somebody here really has to persuade me to clean that. Later
Old 10-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
neil1138

oh and to Miko 10: I already had the dealer reflash my ECU and that didnt help the problem. And I think that problem is for the ZHP's, not regular 3's.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
Yeah, unplugging you maf will be fine. i've done it before to diagnose problems, and i've driven like that. It reverts to factory software and fuel maps and **** so i can't adapt to the current environment but it basically runs on what it thinks the environment is. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
dave330i

My Ride: 2001 330i steel blue
Quote:

I had the same problems...I found it to be my MAF, I went to aboveallmotorwerks.com and they have it for $206 shipped, I did ALOT of looking online, it is the same one as the one BMW will sell you Siemens VDO.. I have also heard rumors that the Hyundai Sonata uses the same one and it is like $155 or 185 burt I have just seen that on some threads...bimmerforums I think had a write up

Last edited by dave330i; 10-04-2008 at 04:58 PM.
dave330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
neil1138

^^^ more info on the hyundai part? If it's the same part for less, I'm all over that.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #17
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
I had the same problems...I found it to be my MAF, I went to aboveallmotorwerks.com and they have it for $206 shipped, I did ALOT of looking online, it is the same one as the one BMW will sell you Siemens VDO.. I have also heard rumors that the Hyundai Sonata uses the same one and it is like $155 or 185 burt I have just seen that on some threads...bimmerforums I think had a write up
I wish I had known about this. I went the aftermarket route for the MAF and it cost me a little under $100.00 shipped. I would have preferred OEM but when I was looking for the part it was about $300.00 or so. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with the aftermarket MAF. I posted about it a while back in the following thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=maf
Chris C is online now   Reply With Quote