E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Give me a dish, I'll give you a recipe

Food forum is dying slowly... I'm about to call Hospice....

Anyways, i'm just trying to get a little life in here. I know a lot of you have seen my cooking before, and typically I do somewhat simple dishes. For the most part, I like simple, however very well executed dishes. I like to add my own flare to things... add an ingredient or two to change up a rather boring dish, into something unique.

If you have a dish that you find yourself getting tired of, tell me about it. I'll see what we can do to subsitute it or make an addition or two to kick up a rather typical, traditional, boring dish.

i'm trying people
Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
heres something simple. spaghetti.

or how about...breakfast.. when i make breakfast its pretty routine. sausage links/patties, bacon, 2 eggs sunny side up, and most likely rice (but not always)

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
dasblack

My Ride: '01 330ci
Scrambled eggs
dasblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
JJR4884

well what do you want to do with the spaghetti? I always find it a pain in the ass to cook a pound of pasta... i would much rather cook a 1/4 lb at a time that way I have a smaller amount to toss in a saute pan.

pasta is so versitile its not even funny... how do you make it?

good easy way to make an awesome light pasta dish... get a hand full of cherry tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, crused red pepper flakes, little onion, white wine, and you can do shrimp or something like that.... onions first with some oil, cook on high for a few minutes, make sure it doesn't burn... add the garlic and tomatoes, red pepper and shrimp, cook for another few minutes, shouldn't take too long... toss in 3/4 cup of wine and let that burn off, add the pasta, toss a few times, add basil, toss a little more, finito

breakfast is kinda tough just because i don't know of THAT many dishes you could do... the ingredients are never ending, but an omelet is an omelet, a breakfast sandwich is whatever the eff you decide to put in it...and so forth. you'd be surprised what you could do with eggs tho... brussel sprout and bacon lardone omelet... lol yep, see ya later...
Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasblack View Post
Scrambled eggs
gordon ramsey's recipe.... add a tablespoon of butter and 3 eggs unbeaten into a pot... medium-high heat... you need to continue to beat these eggs with a normal wooden spoon.... when you see the egg immediately cooking on the bottom of the pan, remove from the head, continue to beat them, and after 30 seconds or so, return to the head... keep beating

seriously you never stop moving that spoon... ever... the eggs will have a consistency like grits... omg so good

add a heaping tsp of crumbled goat cheese and some cracked black pepper, but that over a nice toasted piece of baguette or sourdough, and have a lovely day
Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I need some new easy sammich recipes for lunch at work what have you been making lately?
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
dasblack

My Ride: '01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
gordon ramsey's recipe.... add a tablespoon of butter and 3 eggs unbeaten into a pot... medium-high heat... you need to continue to beat these eggs with a normal wooden spoon.... when you see the egg immediately cooking on the bottom of the pan, remove from the head, continue to beat them, and after 30 seconds or so, return to the head... keep beating

seriously you never stop moving that spoon... ever... the eggs will have a consistency like grits... omg so good

add a heaping tsp of crumbled goat cheese and some cracked black pepper, but that over a nice toasted piece of baguette or sourdough, and have a lovely day
how about egg whites only? Also no butter. I eat 5 every morning
dasblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Bacon, tomato, and english coastal cheddar on a toasted english muffin...
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
freed0m1

My Ride: 2004 330i zhp
how about a easy salmon recipe (not on the grill)? cooking fish always makes me nervous
freed0m1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Mikepadin

My Ride: Jet Black ///M3
Boneless buffalo wings
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Ever made beer can chicken? I want to give it a shot tomorrow

I found a few recipes online, but would prefer a tried and true one from someone I know can cook
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
GRRRR its raining cant grill my steaks.
CoupeMagic323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
chivo328

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeMagic323ci View Post
Pan fry them. Using the oven/stove-top method.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I need some new easy sammich recipes for lunch at work what have you been making lately?
I'm simple when it comes to sandwhiches...

hard crusted italian roll with mortadella and maybe some marinated/pickled eggplant, omg so good

willowtree chicken salad with halved grapes, romaine lettuce, and crushed walnuts on pumpernickel bread... amazing

if they have it at a shaws/stop and shop near you... i forgot the brand but i had a horseradish spiced ham a few months back... it is

speaking of horseradish, get Emeril's horseradish mustard, sandwiches will never be the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasblack View Post
how about egg whites only? Also no butter. I eat 5 every morning
um... you aren't leaving me with much here go to the supermarket blindfolded and have a blast in the produce section... sautee with a tsp of oil and then add the egg whites

Quote:
Originally Posted by freed0m1 View Post
how about a easy salmon recipe (not on the grill)? cooking fish always makes me nervous
Baking salmon is pretty easy... and you can season it anyways you want to which is nice. I typically go one of two ways... prepare the salmon on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil, easy for clean up... and spray some non-stick on there, or just some oil... skin side down clearly

Salt, pepper, a little mayo, and some dill on top... very simple, clean tasting... lets the salmon do all the talking

Salmon loves spice! I'll do a dry season of black pepper, white pepper, paprika, salt, cayenne, and some chili powder... kicks ass!

Check up some baking/broiling methods on google... you can cook the salmon uncovered or covered in aluminum foil... both work ok, i would suggest the spicy one uncovered that way that dry rub gets a little crusty

Don't be nervous with salmon either... it if comes out a little undercooked, you are fine... salmon can be eaten medium all the way to well done... if the fish flakes apart easily, then its good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikepadin View Post
Boneless buffalo wings
kidding me right? lol... idk about those.. i rarely make my own, besides... buffalo is buffalo...

i guess you could kick up the buffalo sauce a little bit... simmer some haberneros in some butter or oil, then use that to make the buffalo sauce with tabasco or frank's red hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Ever made beer can chicken? I want to give it a shot tomorrow

I found a few recipes online, but would prefer a tried and true one from someone I know can cook
Thanks man

Tell ya the truth man, i have never tried it... i'm not much of a chicken cooker, but I too would like to give that a shot... maybe one night this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeMagic323ci View Post
ya man... pan sear then finish in the oven... follow these steps and you can't go wrong

1. Let steaks sit out for at least an hour to get up to room temp... thick steaks will take longer...
2. Pat the steaks dry right before you season them (5-10 min before cooking)
3. Season liberally with a good salt... kosher is perfect, but if you have sea salt, rock salt, etc... as long as it is coarse, use it. Don't use table salt. Season with some cracked black peppercorns too if you would like.
4. Heat up the pan, make sure it is hot...
5. Add some oil (veggie/corn/canola/safflower) to the pan... olive oils are not good because they have a very low smoke point
6. Add the steaks to the pan, if they don't sizzle right away, take them off.. pan isn't hot enough
7. At this point, you might find it usefull to invest in a mesh screen to keep your entire kitchen a tad cleaner
8. Flip steak after 2-3 minutes... it will stick to the pan until its done... you might have to play with it a tad to unstick it, but for the most part it should release quite easily once the sear is done.
9. After the flip, take a look at the oil, if it is getting really brown, add a little more oil and reduce the heat... its too hot!
10. After another 2-3 minutes, i take the steaks off of the pan and place them on a baking rack, which is sitting on top of a aluminum linked cookie sheet.
11. Place in an oven preheated at 400 degrees...
12. 5 minutes for rare/med rare... 10 for med-med/well... estimated... every steak/stove is different so either use a thermometer, or go by feel of the steak.
13. Remove steaks from oven, lightly cover with aluminum foil and let them rest on the baking rack/cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes.. this is crucial... let them rest!
14. Enjoy

Last edited by JJR4884; 05-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Well we had to abort the mission last night since we ran out of time....we grilled steaks, chicken breasts, drumsticks, Salmon, Turkey Burgers, shrimp and a whole lot of veggies.

We will give the beer can a shot next weekend, it looks fairly simple (albeit time consuming)...the hardest part for me might be setting up the charcoal grill properly so that it cooks just right
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
tuna fish sandwich

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
cline328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
How do you cook your brats? Which do you use?

My BMW is now second.

New Car: 2007 G35x
cline328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cline328 View Post
How do you cook your brats? Which do you use?
like they do in wisconsin. boil them in beer, then finish on the grill to add grill marks and flavor. throw an aluminum foil packet of chopped onions and butter on the grill.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
made this tonight!!! Bangin!! Thankss!!
CoupeMagic323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
chivo328

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
ya man... pan sear then finish in the oven... follow these steps and you can't go wrong

1. Let steaks sit out for at least an hour to get up to room temp... thick steaks will take longer...
2. Pat the steaks dry right before you season them (5-10 min before cooking)
3. Season liberally with a good salt... kosher is perfect, but if you have sea salt, rock salt, etc... as long as it is coarse, use it. Don't use table salt. Season with some cracked black peppercorns too if you would like.
4. Heat up the pan, make sure it is hot...
5. Add some oil (veggie/corn/canola/safflower) to the pan... olive oils are not good because they have a very low smoke point
6. Add the steaks to the pan, if they don't sizzle right away, take them off.. pan isn't hot enough
7. At this point, you might find it usefull to invest in a mesh screen to keep your entire kitchen a tad cleaner
8. Flip steak after 2-3 minutes... it will stick to the pan until its done... you might have to play with it a tad to unstick it, but for the most part it should release quite easily once the sear is done.
9. After the flip, take a look at the oil, if it is getting really brown, add a little more oil and reduce the heat... its too hot!
10. After another 2-3 minutes, i take the steaks off of the pan and place them on a baking rack, which is sitting on top of a aluminum linked cookie sheet.
11. Place in an oven preheated at 400 degrees...
12. 5 minutes for rare/med rare... 10 for med-med/well... estimated... every steak/stove is different so either use a thermometer, or go by feel of the steak.
13. Remove steaks from oven, lightly cover with aluminum foil and let them rest on the baking rack/cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes.. this is crucial... let them rest!
14. Enjoy
I love the stove top/oven method, so easy you have to practicaly TRY and screw it up. However, I use a method that has a few less steps and find it works very well. Hope you don't mind Russo.

1. As stated let the steaks come up to room temp. Very important.

2. Place your pan (preferably cast iron, wrap handle with foil if wood) in oven, turn oven on to preheat to 500 deg.F. Your pan will heat up along with the oven.

3. As your oven and pan preheat dry steaks and season VERY liberaly. I use kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, and onion salt. Then I coat the steaks with olive oil.

4. As soon as oven comes up to temperature remove pan to stove top over a burner on HIGH. Place steaks in pan 30 to 60 seconds (as Russo pointed out the meat should release with a really nice crust) flip, cook another 30 to 60 seconds.

5. Pan and steaks to oven. Cook two minutes flip steaks, cook another 2 minutes. I use these times to cook about a 1.5 inch ribeye to rare. Add about a minute and a half each side for medium rare.

6. Remove and lest rest.

7. Bon profit!