E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
tpzblu330ci
TheOnlyConstantIsChange

My Ride: '11 Golf TDI
Send a message via AIM to tpzblu330ci
Excitement over new BMW diesel models?

Anyone else excited for the new BMW diesel models being introduced in the US, specifically the 335d and X5 x35d. I find myself checking the website daily to see when they will finally release pricing information and standard equipment lists. Interested to see whether or not some additional standard equipment will be offered to encourage buyers to take a look at the diesel models. Depending on how things go thinking very seriously about trying to purchase one this upcoming summer, had been looking at the 4.8 but the power and economy of the diesel make the 4.8 look a lot less desirable.

'93 Toyota LandCruiser
tpzblu330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
I'd hit it
Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucki83 View Post
I'd hit it
Goof ball.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Not interested. Diesel is so expensive, it overshadows any possible gas milage gains, and even the insane amount of torque.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
Goof ball.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
tpzblu330ci
TheOnlyConstantIsChange

My Ride: '11 Golf TDI
Send a message via AIM to tpzblu330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
Not interested. Diesel is so expensive, it overshadows any possible gas milage gains, and even the insane amount of torque.

Simple math will prove that to be incorrect. Assuming the models are comparatively priced and factoring diesel as 4 dollars a gallon and 93 at 3.50 (more than far prices) over 50,000 miles diesel saves over 700 dollars vs. the 3.0si and 1,600 over the 4.8i using highway mileage for both models under BMW estimates.

'93 Toyota LandCruiser
tpzblu330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Allure
Banned

My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
It's about time, I probably would never buy a diesel unless the gas prices reach $9, but it's a nice option to have.
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Now all they need is a diesel hybrid

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
e30m3izzle
Banned

My Ride: 1999 323i pal!
383 ft lbs of torque sickkk
e30m3izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Now all they need is a diesel hybrid
VW has a Golf Turbo Diesel Hybrid coming out... 65+ mpg...

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
I'd take a look at it. Something like 90 percent of all the cars sold in Europe are diesel. They can't be that bad.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I'd take a look at it. Something like 90 percent of all the cars sold in Europe are diesel. They can't be that bad.
My cousin went to italy and he said everything there is diesel or motorcycles. They rented a 5 series diesel and said it was awesome...power, quiet, smooth, efficient, etc

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Pietá

My Ride: Boosted 330ci
Lol, you guys really are funny... We buy diesel cars because gas is stupidly expensive here, not because they are great cars engine wise... driving a diesel car SUCKS, its not fun at all, at least not when compared to a similar gas powered car. You can´t beat having a 6-7K RPM engine band (or preferably more) versus the diesel´s 4.5-5K RPM band.
Diesel engines AREN´T fun to drive, I have 100x more fun driving a 1.6 115hp Audi A3 than a 170hp 2.0 TDI A4... I´ve driven a LOT of diesel cars here, I had a modded 320d E46 Touring (200 hp), a friend of mine has a 535d with around 340hp and 700nm, and although its crazy fast, its not trully fun to drive, it just very fast and powerful. My dad had a 3.0 TDI Audi, also a powerful diesel car, but again, not fun to drive, not when compared to the gas version.

Hopefully when you guys finally get normal diesel cars (not the Dodge or whatever trucks you get in the U.S. with diesel engines), you´ll understand what I´m saying... Everyone here who loves driving and loves cars, just thank god for living in a country where you can have a good gas powered car taking in account today´s gas prices.

2002 BMW 330ci | ASA Stage 1 Supercharger TM-12 @ 8PSI | Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers | Meyle HD RSM | Pagid RS-14 | 15R Spacers | P46 Projectors | 18" BMW MV2 Wheels | Bastuck Exhaust | M-Tech Front | ZHP Shift Knob | M3 Steering Wheel | Black Kidney Grills |
Pietá is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #14
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveraudi View Post
lol, you guys really are funny... We buy diesel cars because gas is stupidly expensive here, not because they are great cars engine wise... Driving a diesel car sucks, its not fun at all, at least not when compared to a similar gas powered car. You can´t beat having a 6-7k rpm engine band (or preferably more) versus the diesel´s 4.5-5k rpm band.
Diesel engines aren´t fun to drive, i have 100x more fun driving a 1.6 115hp audi a3 than a 170hp 2.0 tdi a4... I´ve driven a lot of diesel cars here, i had a modded 320d e46 touring (200 hp), a friend of mine has a 535d with around 340hp and 700nm, and although its crazy fast, its not trully fun to drive, it just very fast and powerful. My dad had a 3.0 tdi audi, also a powerful diesel car, but again, not fun to drive, not when compared to the gas version.

Hopefully when you guys finally get normal diesel cars (not the dodge or whatever trucks you get in the u.s. With diesel engines), you´ll understand what i´m saying... Everyone here who loves driving and loves cars, just thank god for living in a country where you can have a good gas powered car taking in account today´s gas prices.
+1
Old 10-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
czechchamp

My Ride: IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveraudi View Post
lol, you guys really are funny... We buy diesel cars because gas is stupidly expensive here, not because they are great cars engine wise... Driving a diesel car sucks, its not fun at all, at least not when compared to a similar gas powered car. You can´t beat having a 6-7k rpm engine band (or preferably more) versus the diesel´s 4.5-5k rpm band.
Diesel engines aren´t fun to drive, i have 100x more fun driving a 1.6 115hp audi a3 than a 170hp 2.0 tdi a4... I´ve driven a lot of diesel cars here, i had a modded 320d e46 touring (200 hp), a friend of mine has a 535d with around 340hp and 700nm, and although its crazy fast, its not trully fun to drive, it just very fast and powerful. My dad had a 3.0 tdi audi, also a powerful diesel car, but again, not fun to drive, not when compared to the gas version.

Hopefully when you guys finally get normal diesel cars (not the dodge or whatever trucks you get in the u.s. With diesel engines), you´ll understand what i´m saying... Everyone here who loves driving and loves cars, just thank god for living in a country where you can have a good gas powered car taking in account today´s gas prices.
+2

2001 330i Sport | Manual | ASA | DICE | H&R | StopTech | ZHP rack | SOLD
czechchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
do they have 335d coupe?
or its just sedan?
VillanovaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
VillanovaGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveraudi View Post
Lol, you guys really are funny... We buy diesel cars because gas is stupidly expensive here, not because they are great cars engine wise... driving a diesel car SUCKS, its not fun at all, at least not when compared to a similar gas powered car. You can´t beat having a 6-7K RPM engine band (or preferably more) versus the diesel´s 4.5-5K RPM band.
Diesel engines AREN´T fun to drive, I have 100x more fun driving a 1.6 115hp Audi A3 than a 170hp 2.0 TDI A4... I´ve driven a LOT of diesel cars here, I had a modded 320d E46 Touring (200 hp), a friend of mine has a 535d with around 340hp and 700nm, and although its crazy fast, its not trully fun to drive, it just very fast and powerful. My dad had a 3.0 TDI Audi, also a powerful diesel car, but again, not fun to drive, not when compared to the gas version.

Hopefully when you guys finally get normal diesel cars (not the Dodge or whatever trucks you get in the U.S. with diesel engines), you´ll understand what I´m saying... Everyone here who loves driving and loves cars, just thank god for living in a country where you can have a good gas powered car taking in account today´s gas prices.
if you have to get to work and commute to places and doesnt care about driving... but just get from A-B (most people) then diesel is awesome
if you want to play then gas is better..
having 2 cars, 1 diesel for work days, and 1 gas for off days is ideal
Old 10-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
joedaddy

My Ride: OCTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillanovaGrad View Post
if you have to get to work and commute to places and doesnt care about driving... but just get from A-B (most people) then diesel is awesome
if you want to play then gas is better..
having 2 cars, 1 diesel for work days, and 1 gas for off days is ideal
i dont know.. i still think IN THE US.. diesel should be for trucks.. not for little dinky cars that doesn't need torque

from point A to B, a hybrid would be better.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #19
VillanovaGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaddy View Post
i dont know.. i still think IN THE US.. diesel should be for trucks.. not for little dinky cars that doesn't need torque

from point A to B, a hybrid would be better.
would you ever want to have an accident in a prius? cuz i dont
if you had a choice as gas milage would be the same, commuting in a 335d or any REAL car (has mass)
would be much safer
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #20
joedaddy

My Ride: OCTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillanovaGrad View Post
would you ever want to have an accident in a prius? cuz i dont
if you had a choice as gas milage would be the same, commuting in a 335d or any REAL car (has mass)
would be much safer
ummm... ok?