E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2002, 07:37 AM   #21
Nimbo

My Ride: 99 328i pp/sp/5-sp
i have remus dtm exhaust. about a month after the install i had the rear resonator removed. i had it done at Meineke, it cost $40. my exhaust sounds a million times better. it has to be the best $40 i have spend on a mod so after.
Nimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 09:44 AM   #22
Tominizer

My Ride: none
Anyone ever kept the factory exhaust can/tips but removed the resonators ?!?!?!?!?
Tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 10:32 AM   #23
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
Quote:
Originally posted by Tominizer
Anyone ever kept the factory exhaust can/tips but removed the resonators ?!?!?!?!?

Tominizer,

Someone has done this before. I forget his name, but he has a 323i... black I believe. I'll try and search the old board. He did the work himself...

regards,
B
Old 05-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #24
Bimmer4Life

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i Sport
i have remus dtm exhaust. about a month after the install i had the rear resonator removed. i had it done at Meineke, it cost $40. my exhaust sounds a million times better. it has to be the best $40 i have spend on a mod so after.

I agree 100 percent! I went to Meineke today also to get my rear resonator removed. It too cost me $40. When I called them ahead of time the guy said it would cost me around $20. But, I guess when he saw me drive up in a brand new looking Bimmer, he figured he should double the price. Nonetheless, I have to say it is the best $40 that I have spent on my car also.

The only thing is, the exhaust sounds so good now, I am thinking of getting the front one removed as well.
Bimmer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 12:48 PM   #25
Bimmer4Life

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i Sport
Oh, I forgot to ask all of you, who has gotten the front resonator removed along with the rear one? I am seriously thinking about going back to Meineke and having them remove the other one too, but I would like to get some feedback on how loud the car will be then.

The only problem with removing the resonator is that I can't help but rev the car up constantly just to hear it and I find myself shifting alot later than I did before. Oh well, maybe I'll get sick of the noise and go back to driving the way I did before the mod. Yeah, right!
Bimmer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 01:21 PM   #26
Nimbo

My Ride: 99 328i pp/sp/5-sp
i have heard that there is an O2 sensor linked to the front resonator. not sure on how true this is. i am going to ask the service manager at the dealership tomorrow.
Nimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 04:05 PM   #27
-Ryan-
Registered Abuser

My Ride: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally posted by DropTopBM
Removing the resenator will make it sound very HARLEY DAVIDSON ish... heard it myself, didnt like it
Most likely the X5 was an 8 cylinder thus the "Harley" sound. A 6 and an 8 sound much different (Just like the difference between a 4 and a 6). Personally I love the sound of unmuffled V-8 but it would be odd coming out of an X5 instead of like a Z06.

** NWS removed - tim330i **
-Ryan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 04:16 PM   #28
Daniel Choe

My Ride: e46
Send a message via AIM to Daniel Choe
both mine are removed sounds great

not to loud have a haman exhaust.

Daniel Choe is offline   Reply With Quote