E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
JAPANESE GP - Official Thread

Lets get it started off right with the BMW Sauber preview -

BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM - JAPANESE GP - PREVIEW

10th - 12th October 2008 - 16th of 18 World Championship races

The mountain calls. Following the night race in Singapore - as glamorous as the BMW Sauber F1 Team's points haul was modest - Formula One now heads for the Japanese Alps to race at the foot of the sacred volcano of Mount Fuji.

There are still three races on the agenda, including the Japanese Grand Prix on 12th October. Rarely has a season proved as diverse and unpredictable as this one. The battle for the top places in the World Championship rankings is about to enter its decisive phase.

Nick Heidfeld:
"Firstly, I'm hoping Fuji won't bring the kind of torrential rain we had in 2007. Basically I enjoy driving in the rain, but with last year's deluge it was just impossible. Visibility was zero, which led to a number of collisions. Somebody drove into my car as well and damaged it. Even so, shortly before the end I was in sixth place, but then an engine problem put me out of the race.

"It's a fun circuit. There are lots of uphill and downhill gradients and several blind corners. But I'm a bit hard on it as Suzuka was always my favourite GP track. One feature of the Fuji circuit that stands out is its extremely long straight.

"It's a beautiful landscape, and the road from the hotel to the track could serve as an excellent rally special stage. I hope Mount Fuji is going to show its face again. Overall there doesn’t seem to be much going on in the area, but that’s fine after all the hustle and bustle of Singapore."

Robert Kubica:
"This season we go to Fuji for the second year in a row. I guess everybody remembers last year's Japanese Grand Prix as the weather conditions were crazy. It was extremely wet and visibility was poor. From a driver's perspective the track is very interesting. There are some challenging corners with different radii and also some blind corners. Under dry conditions it was very enjoyable to drive, although the last sector is quite slow as there are a lot of tight corners.

"As always in Japan, I think the fans will bring a unique atmosphere to the Formula One track. Usually they come to the track early in the morning and leave it after us."

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
"The spectacular night-race premiere in Singapore is over. For the next two races we will be stopping off in Asia as well, first in Japan and just a week later in China. Some team members flew back to Munich and Hinwil from Singapore, while others stayed on in Asia for a few days' relaxation. Others, in turn, are travelling to South Korea, where Nick will be doing some demo drives with the Formula One car on Saturday and Sunday.

"The Fuji Speedway celebrated its successful comeback to the F1 calendar in 2007. The circuit is in a picturesque setting in the Japanese Alps, against the backdrop of Mount Fuji that rises majestically behind it. Last year, however, the sacred mountain could only be seen on Friday, and in the sunshine it was the most photographed view. Unfortunately, it then disappeared behind a thick wall of fog and rain and was never seen again. The weather had a profound impact on the entire race weekend in 2007.

"After our unlucky experience with the Safety Car regulations in Singapore - the second time this season - which lost us important points, we aim to make up for lost ground in Japan. In the Drivers' and Constructors' Championships the leaders are bunched close together, which promises plenty of excitement for the remaining races."

Willy Rampf, Technical Director:
"After the spectacular night race in Singapore, Formula One will be returning to normality in Fuji. Last year was our first race there, though it was dominated by a very wet track. But we still managed to gather some information in terms of the car set-up.

"At around 1.5 kilometres, Fuji boasts the longest genuine straight of any Grand Prix circuit. It means there are real overtaking opportunities. At the same time, the medium-fast and fast turns require plenty of downforce, which calls for a compromise in the aero set-up. In Fuji we drive with medium downforce, comparable to Valencia. Bridgestone supplies the two medium tyre compounds, which shouldn’t pose us any major problems.

"After Singapore’s turbulent race, where the Safety Car phase threw a spanner into the works, we want to achieve a strong points haul with both cars in Japan."

History and background:
The Fuji race track opened its gates in 1966. It has already hosted Formula One races in 1976 and 1977, and even then became notorious for its rain. At the start of the 1976 GP - the closing race of the season - the rain was bucketing down. Aquaplaning forced defending champion Niki Lauda to park his Ferrari in the pits after just two laps. Mario Andretti went on to win the race, and James Hunt was crowned World Champion with a single-point lead.

In 2005 the complex was given a complete overhaul in order to meet the Formula One standards set out by the FIA. 2007 saw the return of Formula One to the Fuji circuit. As of 2009, the Japanese Grand Prix is to be held alternately in Suzuka and Fuji.

The Speedway takes its name from Fujiyama or Fuji-san, as the mountain is more commonly known today. Both "yama" and "san" can mean "mountain", depending on whether one follows Kunyomi or Onyomi pronunciation.

The composite volcano rising to a height of 3,776 metres above sea level is Japan's tallest mountain. Its rock is dated 100,000 years old. Not only is the volcano a highly popular photo opportunity, it is still active, though classified as harmless. The last eruption was recorded in 1707.

Mount Fuji is in the Japanese Alps on the main island of Honshu. Its summit marks the border between Yamanashi and Shizuoka Prefectures. Geologically, the volcano is located where the Eurasian, Pacific and Philippine plates meet.

Thanks to its gently sloping contours, it is relatively easy to climb. The first to do so was a Japanese monk in the year 663. Today such an expedition has lost any trace of exclusivity, with thousands of people congregating at its peak in summer.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Roberto328

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328i
Robert Kubica is in first!!!
Roberto328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
9 laps of AWESOME so far!!

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
W///

My Ride: E30, E46, E92 M3
Hamilton and Massa drive through. Fair decision imo. But Hamilton is just ridiculous for pulling that shenanigans in the first lap. He's leading by 7, what is he doing?!

Massa needs to get his ish together right now. Normally don't cheer for Ferrari, but I'll make an exception.
W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
busamoose

My Ride: 330 ZHP
36 laps to go and I still think Hamilton will finish on the podium..........
Old 10-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
W///

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamoose View Post
haha no.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamoose View Post
From P18 that's pretty much impossible. The best he's done is from P12.

Good race overall. Kinda disappointed that BMW allowed Renault to get ahead of them, but Alonso had an amazing pace. At least Kubica did some nice blocking and kept the Rake behind him. I hated Alonso last year, but I really am kinda cheering for him this year. He's a damn good driver who's stuck with a mediocre team. Looks like Renault may end up 4th in the Constructor's Championship. That means Alonso will be with Renault next year.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
hamilton = dumb, for risking that into turn 1. reinforces kubica's sentiments of earlier this week.

got lucky massa only finished 8th.

and the post-race decision? BULLSH!T.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
I hoped for a bit of a better finish for Massa, but at least he closed the gap. Also on a good note, I don't have to bother changing my sig this week.

Get 'em Fernando.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
hamilton = dumb, for risking that into turn 1. reinforces kubica's sentiments of earlier this week.

When in doubt, the FIA always rules in favor of Ferrari. Sea Bass was NOT at fault for that one, and we all know it. Bull Focking Shyt.

Hamilton choked again. We'll see what'll happen in China. It's a given that Mass will win Interlagos, but China's up for grabs.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #11
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
When in doubt, the FIA always rules in favor of Ferrari. Sea Bass was NOT at fault for that one, and we all know it. Bull Focking Shyt.
What I wanna know is why I was mildly surprised that they gave Ferrari extra points using 'the rules'.
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post

Hamilton choked again. We'll see what'll happen in China. It's a given that Mass will win Interlagos, but China's up for grabs.
He did choke. Turn 1 was embarrassing, he deserved to lose the race right THERE.

He was also dumb for thinking he could pass massa so easily and retake the racing line, he should have expected Massa to take as much curb as he did and fight back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
What I wanna know is why I was mildly surprised that they gave Ferrari extra points using 'the rules'.
I wanna know too its the F1 status quo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
I hoped for a bit of a better finish for Massa, but at least he closed the gap. Also on a good note, I don't have to bother changing my sig this week.

Get 'em Fernando.
BOO FERNANDO
Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #13
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
BOO FERNANDO
I used to hate me some 'Nando back when he was racing against Schumi. Ever since about midway last season when I saw that was McLaren was doing him dirty I started to dislike him less and less. By the end of the season I wanted him to whoop Hamiltons ass. This season I genuinely root for Nando, I think he (and maybe Vettel) have driven harder than any other driver on the grid this season. I don't think there's been a race this season where 'Nando hasn't given it everything he has... and sometimes he's given it too much.

Oh and when he says stuff like this I like him even more: "Yes, no doubt, if I can help, I will help Massa." Source
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
I used to hate me some 'Nando back when he was racing against Schumi. Ever since about midway last season when I saw that was McLaren was doing him dirty I started to dislike him less and less. By the end of the season I wanted him to whoop Hamiltons ass. This season I genuinely root for Nando, I think he (and maybe Vettel) have driven harder than any other driver on the grid this season. I don't think there's been a race this season where 'Nando hasn't given it everything he has... and sometimes he's given it too much.

Oh and when he says stuff like this I like him even more: "Yes, no doubt, if I can help, I will help Massa." Source
He aint his teammate, he should S T F U when it comes to the championship he isn't involved in!

In MY book 2007 proved he is a classless racing driver at a time when we need MORE classy guys at this level of motorsport.

I supported him in his title bids against Schumi, mostly for his underdog status, but it went quickly downhill with his switch to McMerc, thats for damn sure.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
Reedo302

Alonso is a great driver, but he can never be on a team where he isn't the star. He's got a pretty big ego that isn't going to go away. I think that he's a good guy, but he just can't work well with others that may show him up. That's why he'll never work for Ferrari or BMW - he's not a good team player. He's not down with taking one for the team. He has to be the best ALL THE TIME, which makes him a great driver but a less than savory teammate.

All that said, Alonso got shafted several times this year, making me really start to root for him. I really sympathize with him. His engine shyt on him at his home Spanish GP. He's been involved in lots of incidents. The worst was Nakajima taking him out on the first lap at the European GP at Valencia. That was complete BS.

Personally, I think that Nakajima should be kicked out of F1. He's dangerous. He's caused numerous accidents and he just sucks. I mean, Fisichella and Sutil are bad, but they don't hurt anyone and just putter around at the back of the crowd. Nakajima feels compelled to c0ck-block everyone on the track.

The best drivers on the track who really give it their all are Alonso, Vettel, Bourdais, Trulli, Glock, Rosberg and Kovalainen IMO.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-13-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #16
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Hamilton = Fail. I'm simply dissapointed in him. He doesnt seem to understand that you need to finish the freakin race in the points to win a championship. Amazing. I know he got hit on the side by one of the ferrari's and got spun around, but he put himself in a bad position trying to split the scuderia cars. He better not blow China like he did last year. (DONT BLOW IT HAMILTON!!!!!!!!)

Last edited by phrozen06; 10-14-2008 at 09:56 AM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
What about David Crashtard? Has that guy even finished a race since he announced his retirement?
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #18
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
What about David Crashtard? Has that guy even finished a race since he announced his retirement?
Maybe his vision is going. Better to go out with style than to be put down against your will. At least he has an excuse with the Redbull Renault. Nakajima doesn't have one with a Williams Toyota.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

i think they put his crash down to suspension failure. prob some contact in there tho.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
W///

Quote:

What did Kubica say earlier about Hamilton? I didn't see it somehow.

I'd say if anything, I wouldn't have done what Hamilton did in the first corner and when he got hit by Massa. He pretty much had the title wrapped even if he scored a few points.

I laughed so hard when I saw him almost take out his own teamate and 2 Ferraris at the beginning of the race. That would have been priceless if he took Kov and himself out of the race.