E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Are there any drifters here?

I'm seriously considering entering events locally, but would like to hear from others who are or have been drifting their e46s, particularly the non-m. I'm most likely going to be using a kaaz diff, unless I can score another a diffsonline unit for a good price. As of now I plan on keeping my PSS's on linear springs (500f 550r) with my tms sways, but if anyone has any tips/tricks for me, I'm all ears

btw, I do track the car at DE's and such, but its really expensive being a student and all to fork out $500 for a weekend

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
pfft its not even a real motorsport anyways

kidding
Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
so do you know how to drift and all that good stuff?

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
so do you know how to drift and all that good stuff?
As much as possible with my open diff, although I'd call it more of a slide, since I have to transfer weight before I use throttle to bring out the rear end. As far as control and such, I'm pro with my open diff LOL

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
pfft its not even a real motorsport anyways

kidding

Doesn't have to be a sport, but regardless of what it is, it takes skilllzz, and it's really fun, and more accessible to me than DE's at sebring and such (although I will continue to try and make it to at least two sebring events per year)

Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
As much as possible with my open diff, although I'd call it more of a slide, since I have to transfer weight before I use throttle to bring out the rear end. As far as control and such, I'm pro with my open diff LOL
sounds to me like you're doing a faint which is one of the many ways to initiate a drift. how about a clutch kick? can you do that too? i think you should just get the lsd first before you enter. that way you don't waste your money entering wit an open diff lol

Old 10-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Activ3

If I clutch kick and the car isn't angled enough with a good amount of momentum, I get a massive amount of one wheel FAIL I've determined that with my setup I need to enter the corner at too high of a speed, and kind of do a combo of flinging the rear end along with some throttle to get it out and hold it. Once it's out its not too bad or hard to control, but you can tell that the car seems to be dragging a wheel and not really "drifting" as it should be.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Klimaxx805

My Ride: VF/VT SUPERCHARGED
Check out Andy Sapp's site. Click on "car" to see his setup.
http://www.andysapp.com/

If I had money to burn I'd drift my E46. Instead I picked up a 240SX a few years ago. Much cheaper to use for drifting.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
sillieidiot

yea i know what that feel like. though my wheels w/ runflats are harder to fling out. if you were on stock suspension, you'd technically be rolling/hopping instead of sliding.

but yea, i'd say get the diff first. then enter. you'd have more fun, and it'd be easier for you to push it a little more before spinning out (or hitting something) lol

i wonder where raj is at, he's the only other person i know that tries to drift his car as well

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
btw, I do track the car at DE's and such, but its really expensive being a student and all to fork out $500 for a weekend
$500/weekend... man I wish I could go back to those days.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
$500/weekend... man I wish I could go back to those days.
Haha well the event usually costs me $400ish, and then it's just gas really... I don't drive enough to go through tires/pads in a weekend, and (knock on wood) I've been fortunate enough to not have anything break during an event.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
yea i know what that feel like. though my wheels w/ runflats are harder to fling out. if you were on stock suspension, you'd technically be rolling/hopping instead of sliding.

but yea, i'd say get the diff first. then enter. you'd have more fun, and it'd be easier for you to push it a little more before spinning out (or hitting something) lol

i wonder where raj is at, he's the only other person i know that tries to drift his car as well
Yeah I recently helped a friend install a kaaz unit in his car, and I fell in love with it Not sure I can put up with the crazy noises during low speed turns though...

Old 10-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
i love drifting..
im not a professional but i think im pretty good at Drifting

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
mikechungs330

My Ride: 330i
Hey David i have a spot on US-27 where i "drift" my car, its more of a beat the sh!t out of my car lol. I usually go with my car, a friends srt4 and my boys IS-F. Its really fun, cops dont bother us, and its really big. Its like 10 mins away from griffen and US-27. We usually go when its wet to be easier on the tires and car, only a few times when its dry. Next time we go iam taking pics and a video. You should come out next time.
mikechungs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechungs330 View Post
Hey David i have a spot on US-27 where i "drift" my car, its more of a beat the sh!t out of my car lol. I usually go with my car, a friends srt4 and my boys IS-F. Its really fun, cops dont bother us, and its really big. Its like 10 mins away from griffen and US-27. We usually go when its wet to be easier on the tires and car, only a few times when its dry. Next time we go iam taking pics and a video. You should come out next time.
Is the place you're talking about the truck stop north of griffin? I've always seen people with cars there, but never stopped before... Next time I'm down there I'll let ya know for sure

Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
mikechungs330

Quote:
Is the place you're talking about the truck stop north of griffin? I've always seen people with cars there, but never stopped before... Next time I'm down there I'll let ya know for sure
Nah thats not it, its north of there. Its just north of I-75 and US-27, like 10mins from the truck stop.

Look iam so bored i have a pic of it here from google earth lol.

Look how big it is compared to the cars. Also notice the two "u-turns" on each end, its fun to make a complete drift around the u turns there except there are tons of little rocks that we have to sweep off.

What you think?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
There is a guy here on the boards who drifts his 330ci... open diff and all. If I remember right the only mod he had on his car was software to raise the rev limiter. He said it was all about technique and getting seat time. I'll try to find him again.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #18
mikechungs330

Quote:
Originally Posted by leej323 View Post
There is a guy here on the boards who drifts his 330ci... open diff and all. If I remember right the only mod he had on his car was software to raise the rev limiter. He said it was all about technique and getting seat time. I'll try to find him again.
I have an open diff too, only "performance" mod on my car is, eibach prokit, with sway bars, 3.46 diff, benfer intake, and magnaflow exhaust. I want the software, and headers as my next mod. And i agress with the guy who who said that, there is no substitute for seat time.

Whats the difference between having a open diff vs a lsd? I know the differences between the too, just why is it better to have the lsd when drifting?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leej323 View Post
I'm pretty sure you're talking about David A. I think he's since moved on to an e36 m3, and now an e30.

I think I'm decent at sliding my open diff, but that's exactly it, it's more of a slide instead of a drift.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechungs330 View Post
I have an open diff too, only "performance" mod on my car is, eibach prokit, with sway bars, 3.46 diff, benfer intake, and magnaflow exhaust. I want the software, and headers as my next mod. And i agress with the guy who who said that, there is no substitute for seat time.

Whats the difference between having a open diff vs a lsd? I know the differences between the too, just why is it better to have the lsd when drifting?
Open diff = 1 wheel drive LSD = 2 wheel drive

With an open diff, the power of your car is transferred to the rear wheel with the least traction, hence the one wheel burnouts and massive inner wheel spin when you try and bring the rear end out without enough momentum.

An LSD unit allows power to be delivered to both wheels, which is what lets you "drift" around a corner. I have some experience drifting an LSD equipped car (S52 powered e36), and I'll say that it's simply amazing, in the fact that you can throttle steer quite easily.