E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Performance Ignition Coils

Has anyone dropped in performance coils into there vehicle?
Whether on force induction or natural aspirated engines......

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
mkodama

Not worth it. I've heard a bunch of bad stories about people switching to the BAV Auto "performance" coils and having the car perform worse than before.

OEM BMW ignition coils last for decades and there isn't much room for improvement. You actually have a 2003 car so you probably have the newer type BMW coils which are used on every new BMW except for the M-models. Only difference with the M-models is that they have built in knock sensors.

Last edited by mkodama; 10-11-2008 at 01:54 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Not worth it. I've heard a bunch of bad stories about people switching to the BAV Auto "performance" coils and having the car perform worse than before.

OEM BMW ignition coils last for decades and there isn't much room for improvement. You actually have a 2003 car so you probably have the newer type BMW coils which are used on every new BMW except for the M-models. Only difference with the M-models is that they have built in knock sensors.

OK. Good to know. Thanks

Did you hear anything or read anything on Okada Projects Coil-Over Plug Plasma Direct? I found these in vividracing.com

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Old 10-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
novaboi323i

My Ride: 08MiniCooperS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
OK. Good to know. Thanks

Did you hear anything or read anything on Okada Projects Coil-Over Plug Plasma Direct? I found these in vividracing.com
Still not worth it, especially for the astronomical price those go for. Stick with OEM, it's not like you have a 500+ HP vehicle where those might actually make a difference.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Bimmer Dude Xi

Alright I see your point.

I'm just looking for some added HP

Old 10-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post

This just happened to me TODAY. If I had replaced my coils back in march with OEM instead of BavAuto it would have been under warranty and only cost $50 (CPO). Now I have to pay $360 for labor/diagnostic. I am not amused.
The upside is the great people at BavAuto are going to give me credit since I don't want to put them back into the car.

Funny thing though, nobody can figure out how my car blew 6 coils all at once. And it worked fine Friday night but ran like crap when I started it on Saturday. I didn't drive it more than a block until the SES came on, then I had it towed in. I had pulled codes, a bunch of them were coils but also something about fuel & O2 sensors. I am still in a bit of disbelief that the coils fixed it.

Lucky for me the dealer didn't have new coils, they fixed it by robbing a used engine from a totalled car, I can use them until I get replacements. If they had new ones I would have had the same result except I would be out a LOT more money. Wow dealers suck.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
This just happened to me TODAY. If I had replaced my coils back in march with OEM instead of BavAuto it would have been under warranty and only cost $50 (CPO). Now I have to pay $360 for labor/diagnostic. I am not amused.
The upside is the great people at BavAuto are going to give me credit since I don't want to put them back into the car.

Funny thing though, nobody can figure out how my car blew 6 coils all at once. And it worked fine Friday night but ran like crap when I started it on Saturday. I didn't drive it more than a block until the SES came on, then I had it towed in. I had pulled codes, a bunch of them were coils but also something about fuel & O2 sensors. I am still in a bit of disbelief that the coils fixed it.

Lucky for me the dealer didn't have new coils, they fixed it by robbing a used engine from a totalled car, I can use them until I get replacements. If they had new ones I would have had the same result except I would be out a LOT more money. Wow dealers suck.
So you had the Bav Auto coils in your vehicle and 6 of them blew at one time?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
franz

Apparently so, and while I was sleeping too. I couldn't drive it for 2 days. The car drives great now and all I did was pay the dealer 360 to swap in old ones they had laying around.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
heres a thread i made a while back about the coils

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=348199
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Bimmer Dude Xi

Reading your thread,
I'm guessing you went back to OEM Coils? Also what is the spark plug torque down?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
franz

I did go back to used OEM coils for now, will probably buy new ones when the dealer wants theirs back. Wasn't sure if they were winking of not.

Please don't quote me on the spark plug torque, it's 25Nm or about 18lb-ft, lubricated with copper anti-sieze. It's 30Nm if you don't lube but that isn't recommended.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
ledfut

My Ride: '99 328i
Stick with OEM. If you're looking for some added horsepower, move elsewhere. Coils are not going to give you any sort of noticable HP boost.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Eroc162

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via Yahoo to Eroc162
yeah I bought a set from bavauto and I had 155 mis fires. 2 malfunctioned. I sent them back and never bought new ones. I did feel a diffrence when they worked. If you do find some that work email me where you got them. thanks eroc162@yahoo.com
Eroc162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #14
jhriss

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
Holy crap am I glad I read this post. I have done everything 9 psi, headers, nitro, the works, so I was thinking this would at a bit more punch off the line and high end, but goodness, sounds like no way. Funny thing is ESS and Dinan always say to go with OEM BMW spark plugs too, cause they are pretty cool and platinum. Iridium and all that pulstar stuff is crap, I've tried out pulstar plugs too, they suck, nothing but snake oil. Internal capicitor, hahah!!! So anyone think anything of high end ignition cables set up, or am I just wasting my money like I think I would be?? I know since coils are used here for each cylinder, there is no app for a multi ground plug or msd ignition, so if I don't do the cables, I am left with some more tranny and cylinder upgrades and tons of custom tunning with a piggy back I guess.

Thanks for the info ya'll.

Jason Hrissikopoulos

www.Elcipseintl.com
jhriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #15
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhriss View Post
Holy crap am I glad I read this post. I have done everything 9 psi, headers, nitro, the works, so I was thinking this would at a bit more punch off the line and high end, but goodness, sounds like no way. Funny thing is ESS and Dinan always say to go with OEM BMW spark plugs too, cause they are pretty cool and platinum. Iridium and all that pulstar stuff is crap, I've tried out pulstar plugs too, they suck, nothing but snake oil. Internal capicitor, hahah!!! So anyone think anything of high end ignition cables set up, or am I just wasting my money like I think I would be?? I know since coils are used here for each cylinder, there is no app for a multi ground plug or msd ignition, so if I don't do the cables, I am left with some more tranny and cylinder upgrades and tons of custom tunning with a piggy back I guess.

Thanks for the info ya'll.
Yeah, you're correct on all that stuff. The internal capacitors won't make a difference on our cars with the type of coils used. Also the whole point of coil on plugs is to avoid ignition cables so you never have to replace them.

Simply put, BMW coil on plug ignition is flawless. You may be able to play with ignition timing, but the hardware has nothing left to improve. This is why BMW has been using the same ignition coils since 2002 or 2003. The only changes are on the new M cars where they use the same coils but have built in knock sensors.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote