E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Anyone Know Regulations on Track Racing Convertibles?

I am wondering what is typically the regulation for tracking a convertible (M Roadster is main front-runner). I know that each club has their own requirements, but what will typically make them happy? Hard tops? Cage only?

Also, does anyone know how to get a convertible into BMWCCA driving events? I know they have horribly strict and weird policies.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
TheMadDutchman

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
I think BMWCCA requires a roll bar for convertibles.
TheMadDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
GrayGhost

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Some chapters do not allow convertibles of any kind, with or without roll bar/cage.
.. No convertibles.. no way, no how.....
You need to check with the chapter(s) you might run with. Also, keep in mind that most chapters do not have 'racing' per se, but run Drivers Education and such. Many chapters do host BMWCCA Club Racing events, but these are purely run by the national CCA Club Racing organization.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Look over to Porsche events. I've ran with them and they allow verts.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
lax01

My Ride: E46 M3
Just get a coupe...convertibles are for females...

SRSLY
Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Just get a coupe...convertibles are for females...

SRSLY
Old 10-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Convertibles are fine. Grand-Am had had a "roadster rule" in effect since 2003. This is because the BMW Z4 was a convertible back then and someone wanted to race it.

Remember, back in the old days, "proper" racecars were all convertibles. MGB, Bugeye Sprites, TR3's, AC Cobras, Porsche Speedsters and all the way up to the Audi R8's, are convertibles.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
Convertibles are fine. Grand-Am had had a "roadster rule" in effect since 2003. This is because the BMW Z4 was a convertible back then and someone wanted to race it.

Remember, back in the old days, "proper" racecars were all convertibles. MGB, Bugeye Sprites, TR3's, AC Cobras, Porsche Speedsters and all the way up to the Audi R8's, are convertibles.

No roof

Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Most racing organizations allow convertibles although individual classes may require bolt-on hard tops. Usually arm restraints are required for open top cars in addition to all the cage and safety stuff required for hard tops.

Driving schools are not racing. For driving schools, most clubs allow convertibles, sometimes with minimum rollover protection requirements. Individual chapters or regions may ratchet up safety requirements or completely ban convertibles. Contact the local club representatives to see what is required for their events.

In my opinion, a bolt-in 4 point bar with proper diagonal bracing and a harness bar is a hell of a lot safer than the pop crap in most modern cars. Consider using such a bar even if is not required. Once installed and all the holes are drilled, it can be installed or removed in an hour or two.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote