E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
The more componets, the more chances for distortion, so doing away with the loc is better. Since you head unit has a built-in amplifier, you are not getting a perfectly "clean" signal, but shouldn't be too bad. Try the amp first. If you don't like it, you can always upgrade the head unit.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #22
Franxta

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Franxta
I'm sixteen years old and do not know much about wiring or audio for that matter, but money is scarce and I decided to take a chance wiring the subwoofers in my 2001 325Ci. I have a Kenwood amp, 1800watts, and 2 12" 1500watt enclosed in my trunk. I wanted to keep the OEM amp to power the speakers inside the car. So today i mounted the amp securely on back of the enclosure, connected the amp power to the + terminal of the battery, connected the ground to the mount next to the OEM amp. I cut and stripped pin #10 (white) on the grey connector, and re-clamped it with the remote turn on wire for the aftermarket amp. The aftermarket amp and OEM amp turn on fine (i get audio from inside the car). I then proceeded to cut pin #2 (yellow) and pin #1 (brown) from the grey connector, and wired them to the LOC i bought from bestbuy. I did the same for pin#25 (blue) and pin #24 (brown). I DID NOT RE-CONNECT THESE BACK TO THE OEM AMP, JUST CLAMPED THEM TO THE LOC. I bought RCA cables from Lowes and connected them from the LOC to the aftermarket amp, connected the speaker wires from the amftermarket amp to the subs. It doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Before I did all this I took out the H/K stock subs, cut and stripped the speaker wires connected to them, and re-connected those to the 12"s. It was feeding them little watts, but it worked nontheless.

I felt curious, and re-connected my previous setup, and it still worked. This leaves me to two hypothesis on where i went wrong:

1) i somehow wired the LOC wrong, or got the wrong type of LOC (the one i got is the only one they have at bestbuy)

2) I cut the wrong wires that i connected to the LOC.

Thanks.

"But the speed was power, and the speed was joy, and the speed was pure beauty."
--Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Franxta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #23
ca1242

You tapped the wrong wires.
Need to get head unit outputs:
yellow/black + brown orange and blue/black + brown/orange. You need a LOC capable of balanced differential signals, such as the peripheral sven2. Do not cut these wires (or you will lose rear speakers), just splice into them.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #24
Franxta

that worked. thanks. but now when i turn my bass up loud the other speakers shut off? this does'nt happen all the time just everyonce in a while.

"But the speed was power, and the speed was joy, and the speed was pure beauty."
Old 11-08-2008, 04:47 AM   #25
ca1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franxta View Post
that worked. thanks. but now when i turn my bass up loud the other speakers shut off? this does'nt happen all the time just everyonce in a while.
So when it is loud, bass keeps playing but speakers shut off?
Old 11-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #26
Franxta

exactly

Old 11-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #27
ca1242

That is a little strange.
- Check all connections
- Check turn on wire - does voltage drop too low? try jumping the amp tun-on input to the power wire temporarily (rather than the oem amp turn on)
- check the signal connections. Is the adaptor properly connected? something shorted or grounded?
- do you have good power/ground connections?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #28
gspogies

My Ride: '04 325i Sedan
It because the stock amp is clipping...it cannot handle all of the power and signal draw of the other amp and sub
gspogies is offline   Reply With Quote