E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Technik Camshafts

Has anyone tried these camshafts?
If so, how much a difference did it make?

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
They are schricks... F/I ones being 248/256 and n/a ones being 264/248.

NA cams actually offer a decent HP gain, and if you're into performance and not planning to boost your car, I'd say go for it

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Given the cost of the cams + installation and considering you have a 325, I think I'd simply consider trading the 325 for a 330 before doing a cam swap.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Given the cost of the cams + installation and considering you have a 325, I think I'd simply consider trading the 325 for a 330 before doing a cam swap.
I agree
Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Well I plan on doing more than just cams. Intake or maybe supercharged, engine software, tranny software, full exhaust, larger throttle body, pullies. So I'm looking for more ways to add HP.

This is my first bimmer, so I'm really just getting to know these cars. Before this car, I also have a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I would like to get a 330 but the way economy is, it'll be tough. It was hard for me to get this 325.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
Well I plan on doing more than just cams. Intake or maybe supercharged, engine software, tranny software, full exhaust, larger throttle body, pullies. So I'm looking for more ways to add HP.

This is my first bimmer, so I'm really just getting to know these cars. Before this car, I also have a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I would like to get a 330 but the way economy is, it'll be tough. It was hard for me to get this 325.
Perhaps you should plan to hang on to your money then... but this thread isn't about your finances.

Plan carefully. Cams for FI are not the same as cams for a NA motor. With an auto 325, FI options are going to be boost limited by the transmission and would likely make FI cams pointless. If you stay NA and pursue cams, plan on ~ $2500 +/- for the cams and install to give you another ~ 20 hp, mostly on the top end. Intake and throttle body would probably help you get the most out of cams otherwise their value is questionable. Personally, I'm not a fan of pullies.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Perhaps you should plan to hang on to your money then... but this thread isn't about your finances.

Plan carefully. Cams for FI are not the same as cams for a NA motor. With an auto 325, FI options are going to be boost limited by the transmission and would likely make FI cams pointless. If you stay NA and pursue cams, plan on ~ $2500 +/- for the cams and install to give you another ~ 20 hp, mostly on the top end. Intake and throttle body would probably help you get the most out of cams otherwise their value is questionable. Personally, I'm not a fan of pullies.
I definitely understand what you're saying. Yea I saw the difference between Na and FI cams. I can't believe installation for cams is so much. I miss modding my good ol 4G63-T motor. Reasons why I researching before I decide to mod anything in my engine bay. Personal reasons why you're not a fan of pullies?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
I definitely understand what you're saying. Yea I saw the difference between Na and FI cams. I can't believe installation for cams is so much. I miss modding my good ol 4G63-T motor. Reasons why I researching before I decide to mod anything in my engine bay. Personal reasons why you're not a fan of pullies?
Water pump, PS, and alternator pullies are only good for about 10 hp. Of the 3, the only one I would even consider under-driving on a daily driven BMW is the power steering. Under certain conditions, such as for a track car, the others might make more sense. At this point, on my car, it's kind of pointless anyway.

Yeah, unfortunately BMW doesn't leave much cheap/easy hp on the table.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
TioTitin'sBlau3

My Ride: 03 TopazBlau3
Send a message via Yahoo to TioTitin'sBlau3
If you plan on staying N/A, then I believe its worth it. I already have Rogue Pullies, SS Headers, Vibrant Hi Flow Cats, Borla Cat-back, Jim Conforti Intake, and AA Tune. Only thing is now that since I'm going back and forth about F/I, I think I'll just cough up the several hundred for Cams and get a re-tune with AA for Cams and Headers and I will be done, and put the 5gs for F/I towards an E92 M3......but thats just me a natural high til the M arrives.

///M South on Facebook
TioTitin'sBlau3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
ur auto and xi... i'd do nothing to this car. not only do you stand to break an auto tranny (search this forum for the horror stories), but you have the AWD in the mix to screw up.

GL, but you honestly have the worst possible e46 for modding (engine wise). buy some nice exterior parts and enjoy the car as it is!

Sorry, not trying to be mean, just honest.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
ur auto and xi... i'd do nothing to this car. not only do you stand to break an auto tranny (search this forum for the horror stories), but you have the AWD in the mix to screw up.

GL, but you honestly have the worst possible e46 for modding (engine wise). buy some nice exterior parts and enjoy the car as it is!

I completely agree that a 325xi auto is not a great base for modding. A few NA mods probably wouldn't be an issue as they're not likely to produce enough additional power to really stress things. A SC would be much more of a gamble. Either way, it's a gamble that someone who might not have a spare $5k laying around to replace a transmission should seriously consider before starting to mod.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post

It's cool, I rather you be honest than to bullsh!t me around. Right now I'm just soaking up all the information I need to know about these cars. I kind of notice something on my tranny with my car. First gear take a few seconds to engage when I first start the car after a few hours of sitting.

Thanks for the info

Old 10-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
^ in that case... be careful! I def. wouldn't do cams on this car. Intake/exhaust will sound nice and cause no additional problems with ur drivetrain, i'd start there and just enjoy the car
Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
Bimmer Dude Xi

I'm definitely am taking my time on this car. I figured I research first before making moves.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #15
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
yea, i have to agree with others. The 2.5L and auto and AWD are not a combination to consider going HP searching with.