E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
Track Pad recomendations

Having just finished my track day season, and having gone through 6 front and 4 rear sets of pads in 10 track days, I was wondering if anyone out there had a recomendation about good TRACK pads. I don't car about dust, noise, or any of that stuff. I have used OEM, TMS Cool Willys, and Axxis/PBR ULTs. I would like to be able to get a little more life out of my pads (less than 2 days per set this year).

My car is street driven only to and from the track, so a full race pad will still be fine. Oh, and I use Hoosier R6 R Comp. tires, so I have LOTS of grip (which is why I have been tearing through lesser pads).

Any recomendations would be GREAT! I have been considering Pagid Orange or Blacks, as many Porsche guys I run with love them, but don't want to spend that much $$$ if I only get 1.5-2 days out of them. I know Hawk DTCs are also gaining popularity.
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
docwyte

My Ride: '89 944 Turbo
Well, you really haven't run a track pad at all based on what you wrote. You'll find everyone has their preference, here's mine. I LOVE the PF01's. They last and last and last, are easy to modulate, have great bite, etc. I'm currently using Hawk DTC70's and I like them, but I prefer the 01's more. NASA has a deal on the Hawk's, so that's why I'm currently running em.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/signaturepics/sigpic14767_1.gif
docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Mahjik

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Send a message via ICQ to Mahjik Send a message via AIM to Mahjik
Arrow

Carbotech: http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads/bmw.html
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
jmillet

My Ride: E86 Z4 M Coupe
Thumbs Up Pf-01

Another vote for the PF-01 brake pad for driving school use. I get at least 40 thirty minute driving sessions out of the front pads and double that on the rears.
They ain't cheap but they do wear well and don't chew up rotors.

jmillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
+1 to PFC 01's, or possibly PFC06's(although I have no personal experience with these). Call BimmerWorld...
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Well, you really haven't run a track pad at all based on what you wrote. .
Well, TMS markets the Cool Willys as a track pad, but it does not hold up. I "downgraded" to the Axxis ULTs as I was getting better life out of them than the Cool Willys, similar on track performance, and they cost about half what the Cool Willys did. Even with cooling ducts and backing plates I am getting caliper temps in the 750+F range back in the pits (after a lap of cooldown).

Right now I am leaning towards hawk pads, partially due to cost, as I am looking to stay at a sub-$200 per axle cost for pads. My home track is very hard on brakes, and I do not want a $2,000 per season budget just for brake pads!
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
We have a selection of pads available including the Hawk Blue Race Brake Pads which can be found here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...aign=postreply

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
docwyte

My Ride: '89 944 Turbo
the Blues aren't the greatest track pads, plus they're harsh on the rotors...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/signaturepics/sigpic14767_1.gif
docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
realcompm3

My Ride: 11 E92 M3 ZCP
thats sick
realcompm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
TheMadDutchman

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
I have had very good luck with the PFC-01 compound, I get about 10-12 track days out of a set(I drive Laguna Seca and AutoClub Speedway quite often, heavy braking tracks).
Hawk DTC-70 would be a good pad also, newer technology than the PFC-01.
The Hawk Blue is old technology, I would stay away from them unless you want to clean up your rotors between pad swaps.
TheMadDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote