E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI
Advice help please? Improving the quality of my ride.

Did a little searching but was still a little confused.

Im looking to improve the quality of my ride, while not lowering the car. What should i get??

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Kenny@JleviSW
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: JB E90 335
Send a message via AIM to Kenny@JleviSW
What do you mean by "improving" it- softer ride or more sporty. I don't think the former is possible and the latter requires lowering springs.
Kenny@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
al0513

Well it has been kinda rough lately.... i feel as if i can feel every bump on the road.... i have a sport suspension. I just want to be able to not feel the road, as if im riding on a cloud.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
BimmerAddictM54

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to BimmerAddictM54
well...good luck with that. runnin' a sport suspension and looking for a softer "cloudy" ride doesn't seem possible to me.

anything in particular that your ride is doing that makes you want a softer ride?

MPowered since 1986

Previous Rides:
1997 E36 318i Sedan (SOLD)
1991 E34 525i Sedan (Winter Beater) (SOLD)
BimmerAddictM54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
glovesoff

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAddictM54 View Post
well...good luck with that. runnin' a sport suspension and looking for a softer "cloudy" ride doesn't seem possible to me.

anything in particular that your ride is doing that makes you want a softer ride?

I think you're interpreting his post wrong. I don't think he wants to be running a sport suspension. he said he doesn't want it lowered and wants a soft ride.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
al0513

No no..

I think im just explaining it wrong

I have sport suspension. But the ride is just too rough, when I bought it 20K miles ago, it was pretty good, wasnt too bumpy. Now it feels like every hole I hit, the axle is gonna break off. And I know its not my tires.. only a few thousand miles on them and always aired up to the right pressure.

Oh and i've got 18" CSLs on them so I dont think thats the problem. No cracks or bends.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_lee88 View Post
the ride is just too rough, when I bought it 20K miles ago, it was pretty good, wasnt too bumpy. Now it feels like every hole I hit, the axle is gonna break off.
If you were happy with it when you bought, has your opinion changed or has the car changed? My bet is that your suspension is simply old and tired and needs to be replaced. Just put some new OEM dampers on it and call it good. You'd be amazed how much difference there is between a worn out suspension and a fresh, properly functioning suspension.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Kenny@JleviSW
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: JB E90 335
Send a message via AIM to Kenny@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
If you were happy with it when you bought, has your opinion changed or has the car changed? My bet is that your suspension is simply old and tired and needs to be replaced. Just put some new OEM dampers on it and call it good. You'd be amazed how much difference there is between a worn out suspension and a fresh, properly functioning suspension.
I'll second this. You can't really "improve" the ride without lowering it. The only way is to perhaps get a new OEM suspension for your car. Otherwise you will have to go after market and that means lowering springs.
Kenny@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
ericsonp325i

My Ride: 01 Black 325i
what are the best springs for lowering, with bilstein struts/ shocks???
Not to be a thread stealer, just a question....

MODS:Harmon Kardon System// HK Drive+Play// CCFL Angel Eyes// Motorola HF850 BT Kit// Black Headlight Corners// Clear Side Markers// M3 Style Side Mirrors W/ LED Turn Signal// 20% Tint// LED Rear Tailights// M3 Style Front Bumper
ericsonp325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
heard the UUC set is close as you can get to comfy
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
al0513

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I think you got it. The car has changed. And right, im looking to replace my suspension. So should I go OEM or Aftermarket? I would think aftermarket is a little bit cheaper, and really i wouldnt mind a little drop..
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
UK BM

My Ride: Scirocco GT TSI
I think your Bushes might need replacing that makes alot of difference to ride quality
Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_lee88 View Post
I think you got it. The car has changed. And right, im looking to replace my suspension. So should I go OEM or Aftermarket? I would think aftermarket is a little bit cheaper, and really i wouldnt mind a little drop..
That really depends on what your highest priority is - comfort or looks? You're not likely to get both for less than the cost of replacing OEM shocks and struts. Lowering the car will require either lowering springs or coilovers. What's your driving style?

I would generally recommend sticking with OEM unless you have a very specific goal that can only be achieved via the aftermarket.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
ModBargains
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP
People that have purchased the Koni/Eibach spring and shock combo. They have found it to be very comfortable yet sporty. Plus they do not lower your car much, which is something that is very important for you. Here are a couple of shots to show you how much it will drop:

KONI FSD shocks with Eibach Pro-kit springs combo

Let me know if I can help you out with anything.
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates!
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote