E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #81
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Hotchkis FTW! You have your answer!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #82
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Kind of like the subframe issue, sway bar mount reinforcement isn't necessary unless yours happens to break. Necessary, no. Recommended, yes. The Turner kit is very inexpensive and costs almost nothing to weld in. I had mine done at the same time as the subframe reinforcements but ran the H&R bars for over a year prior to that.

Sounds like you might benefit from the adjustable end links that are packaged with the Hotchkis, would have to buy them separately with the H&R. The reinforced mounting brackets of the Hotchkis would just be another free add for you. So sure, go Hotchkis.

Be VERY, VERY careful when you adjust your dampers that way. Making dramatic damping changes to the front but not the rear will also dramatically change the handling balance of the car. I honestly don't know why you would worry about getting bigger, adjustable sway bars when you're going to go and mess up the car's balance by only partially adjusting the coilovers. IMHO, you would be much better off to dial in the suspension to be as sporty as you can tolerate on a day to day basis and then leave it be - forget adjusting it at all if it's not practical to do it properly.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #83
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Kind of like the subframe issue, sway bar mount reinforcement isn't necessary unless yours happens to break. Necessary, no. Recommended, yes. The Turner kit is very inexpensive and costs almost nothing to weld in. I had mine done at the same time as the subframe reinforcements but ran the H&R bars for over a year prior to that.

Sounds like you might benefit from the adjustable end links that are packaged with the Hotchkis, would have to buy them separately with the H&R. The reinforced mounting brackets of the Hotchkis would just be another free add for you. So sure, go Hotchkis.

Be VERY, VERY careful when you adjust your dampers that way. Making dramatic damping changes to the front but not the rear will also dramatically change the handling balance of the car. I honestly don't know why you would worry about getting bigger, adjustable sway bars when you're going to go and mess up the car's balance by only partially adjusting the coilovers. IMHO, you would be much better off to dial in the suspension to be as sporty as you can tolerate on a day to day basis and then leave it be - forget adjusting it at all if it's not practical to do it properly.

tnx alot, i your right, i dont see why it would be bad to adjust them, i mean the front is on soft now, the rears are always medium, when i need to i just adjust the front to stiff.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #84
n2Bimmer

so there is no squeking with these,
Old 11-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #85
n2Bimmer

hey txzhp, dont you have H&R??
Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #86
UTL1098

I have never had any noise issues with the Hotchkis. Just use the lube they supply and follow the detailed install instructions and all will be well.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #87
n2Bimmer

k cool, so were is the cheapest price.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #88
Ron@modbargains
Sponsor

My Ride: s2k/ae86
Send a message via AIM to Ron@modbargains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Nah, some of the things I was just bringing up as points. Most of the other statements weren't directed at you. Just to the thread. Sorry if by quoting you it seemed I was directing all comments to you. I agree with most everythng you said.

As for bigger bars, I was only suggesting that the H&R aren't as big as something like the UUC bars which aren't European TUV. ST and UUC bars are just a few USA bars which are almost always bigger than their TUV approved counterparts. It's common knowledge their bars are smaller to pass testing. BIMMER and EC both had articles stating this. I'm not talking about the H-Sport in this case.

I'm not sure what the speculation and guessing is you are referring to. Bring up a certain question and I'll be happy to answer it if I have the answer..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
I thought it was pretty obvious

Personally I chose Turner sway bars, because they are H&R and blue
LOL yeah well lets pay extra for the name on it when it's the same bar ahaha.

I gave my personal thought on it - as its hard to quantify. For reasons of it being hallowed out design that I don't think will make a difference in terms of bending, but in terms of their company's belief when designing their bars. They test continually for optimal feel back and performance, and they have an E46 there as well. Lets see - the Fronts are 3 way adjustable - giving +31%,+51%,+77% stiffer settings over OEM and Rears are 2 way adjustable - up +138%,+171% over OEM.

So anyway between the two - H&R 21mm rear Hotchkis is 25.4mm rear.
I prefer the thicker bar.

I hope that helps explain my position on it
We sell both but I felt like jumping in with my personal opinion.

We Specialize In: BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust | BMW Wheels | BMW Accessories
Ron Hay
| Ron@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-6:00pm (PST) Sat 8:00am-5:00PM
Ron@modbargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #89
Ron@modbargains
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
k cool, so were is the cheapest price.
We'll have a low price guaranteed for you of course - and I put them on sale right know (SEMA special) -http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Hotchkis_E46M3_SwayBars_MW

Ron Hay
Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #90
TxZHP04

Quote:
tnx alot, i your right, i dont see why it would be bad to adjust them, i mean the front is on soft now, the rears are always medium, when i need to i just adjust the front to stiff.
What you don't understand can hurt you (or worse).

Adjusting them isn't bad, adjusting them without understanding what you're doing can get dangerous. Same goes for adjusting sway bars.

My point was that the changes you make to rebound damping not only change ride quality, they also change the car's tendency to oversteer/understeer (at least on turn in and corner exit, not once the car takes a set). Clearly you have a limited understanding of vehicle dynamics and how changes you make to your new adjustable suspension impact the car's handling. I'm just warning you to be careful so you don't get yourself into trouble.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #91
UTL1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron@modbargains View Post
We'll have a low price guaranteed for you of course - and I put them on sale right know (SEMA special) -http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Hotchkis_E46M3_SwayBars_MW
That is a great price!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #92
TxZHP04

Quote:
So anyway between the two - H&R 21mm rear Hotchkis is 25.4mm rear. I prefer the thicker bar.
Unfortunately you can't directly compare the diameters of a hollow bar with a solid bar. I don't know the wall thickness of the Hotchkis bar but the effective diameters of the two bars are much closer than you might think based on the outer diameter. Heck, it's even possible the H&R bar could be stiffer even though it's smaller (I'm not suggesting this is the case only stating that we don't really know enough to make this particular comparison).
Old 11-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #93
TxZHP04

Quote:
hey txzhp, dont you have H&R??
Yep.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #94
Ron@modbargains
Sponsor

We should hire a pro driver and have him do a review on the different sway bars on a stock car.. that would settle it. Wait but what driver, and what type of springs

Seriously we need something like that - but then again its gotta be done in a controlled environment and who is the driver..

Yeah to say one is better then other is extremely difficult to say. I could make the argument that Turner has been very successful with running the H&R on their race car - then again it's their sponsor. So the argument is a difficult one, I think we can agree on that right?

Ron Hay
Old 11-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #95
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Quote:

Adjusting them isn't bad, adjusting them without understanding what you're doing can get dangerous. Same goes for adjusting sway bars.

My point was that the changes you make to rebound damping not only change ride quality, they also change the car's tendency to oversteer/understeer (at least on turn in and corner exit, not once the car takes a set). Clearly you have a limited understanding of vehicle dynamics and how changes you make to your new adjustable suspension impact the car's handling. I'm just warning you to be careful so you don't get yourself into trouble.

its true that with a stiffer rear setup, you might have an uneasy rear wobble during a high speed corner bend compared to how it helps during a slow tighter corner.

even shorter final drive have a great play on this dynamic and it when you take a passenger car and make it full race, you sacrifice comfort and sometimes safety.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #96
TxZHP04

Quote:
Yeah to say one is better then other is extremely difficult to say.... So the argument is a difficult one, I think we can agree on that right?
Yep, that's one of the points I've been trying to make. That, and from a "performance" perspective, there isn't really much difference between the various aftermarket offerings. Sure, there are price and feature differences and people need to make their decisions accordingly - which is why I also like to stress that it's important for people to be clear about why they recommend one product over another.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #97
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
LOL yeah well lets pay extra for the name on it when it's the same bar ahaha.
One may not necessarily have to pay more for the TMS, like I didn't have to

Quote:
I gave my personal thought on it - as its hard to quantify. For reasons of it being hallowed out design that I don't think will make a difference in terms of bending, but in terms of their company's belief when designing their bars. They test continually for optimal feel back and performance, and they have an E46 there as well. Lets see - the Fronts are 3 way adjustable - giving +31%,+51%,+77% stiffer settings over OEM and Rears are 2 way adjustable - up +138%,+171% over OEM.

So anyway between the two - H&R 21mm rear Hotchkis is 25.4mm rear.
I prefer the thicker bar.
You need to be comparing the stiffness, not the diameter. Do you happen to know the stiffness levels of the H&R's for the 2 front and 3 rear settings?

Quote:

I hope that helps explain my position on it
We sell both but I felt like jumping in with my personal opinion.
I noticed you have H&R's for under $200 in your website, if this is the price for both bars, there is no justification for paying almost twice for Hotchkis IMO

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #98
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Unfortunately you can't directly compare the diameters of a hollow bar with a solid bar. I don't know the wall thickness of the Hotchkis bar but the effective diameters of the two bars are much closer than you might think based on the outer diameter.
True,
Unless someone measures/calculates and test the bars. Size alone is not a determination when one is hollow.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #99
Ron@modbargains
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
One may not necessarily have to pay more for the TMS, like I didn't have to

You need to be comparing the stiffness, not the diameter. Do you happen to know the stiffness levels of the H&R's for the 2 front and 3 rear settings?

I noticed you have H&R's for under $200 in your website, if this is the price for both bars, there is no justification for paying almost twice for Hotchkis IMO
I don't know H&R's except their diameter size they really dont provide information.

The H&R thats for one bar - here is a link to the product information: http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...E46_3series_PR

I am going to visit both of them tomorrow and ask these questions. I am off to SEMA so lets see what they say.

Ron Hay
Old 11-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #100
n2Bimmer

Quote:

so what do you suggest that i adjust both front and rears equaly, for exampled both stiff or both soft.