E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
DIY: Water (Heater) Valve Replacement

I'm going to change my water valve in a while, any tips how to bleed the system after finishing? Is it the same way as when the expansion tank is replaced?

DIY coming soon

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
paraklas

Blowing hot/warm air when the HVAC is set to 16 degrees? My immediate thought was the water valve which opens/closes, allowing hot coolant in the heater core. I assumed the valve was stuck and would not close completely, hence allowing coolant flow in the core. I went ahead and bought a replacement valve from Tischer BMW (USA)

The old one as it was in the car

First I had to remove the airbox to allow some space to work.

Remove 3 push-lock pins for the air intake assembly

Unplug MAF and loosen the big clamp that holds the intake boot on the MAF

Remove the 2 x 10mm bolts that hold the airbox assembly in place

Airbox removed

Unplug the water valve connector

Pull the water valve out of its 3 rubber guides to reveal the 2 hose clamps screws. Use a flathead screwdriver to undo both screws, paying attention which is the upper and which is the lower hose.

The new water valve
Front:

Rear:

Coolant flow arrow

I placed a rag underneath the water valve to catch the coolant and pulled both hoses out. Then I immediately placed the new water valve and pushed both hoses back in place. Screwed both clamps and secured the valve in place. Plug the connector in the valve. Re-install airbox and MAF connector. Job almost done.

Since air was introduced in the system from the partial coolant loss, I bled the system just to make sure. Removed coolant cap, loosened the bleed screw, started the engine and set the heater temp to its highest setting (32 degrees Celcius) in full blast. Setting the temp in the highest setting would open the water valve allowing coolant flow in the entire system. I topped up the coolant with a 50/50 mix of BMW Antifreeze and distilled water so that the indicator would go to the top mark. As soon as bubble-free coolant started to come out from the bleeder screw, I tightened it, turned off engine and replaced coolant cap.

Job done. Now I have outside environment temperature air even when the A/C is off. I'll open the old water valve to see what actually failed. The heater valve connector wires were a bit exposed for some reason so I applied a generous amount of PVC tape for protection.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
lafabritto325ci

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i
thank you!!!! i was looking for this as well
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
I'm planning on deleting that valve since I don't need it. Any thought paraklas?

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
paraklas

Well, I can't think of any reason why not. You can make a bypass connection that will either have the heater always on or always off. Why if I may ask you don't need it? Unless you live in Sahara or Antartica?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
Ha,ha
I live in Puerto Rico. Average temp here is 85F, so no need for it

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
lafabritto325ci

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i
so in order for my to bypass it, do i just unplug it ???
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
paraklas

Guessing...

Set the temp to the highest and then unplug it to have always on heater
Set the temp to lowest+ac and then unplug it to have always off - cool air
Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Egon

My Ride: 323SE
Cheers for that, i've been looking for exactly that info...Top man
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
dh0licious

My Ride: '01 325i Sedanx0r
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Blowing hot/warm air when the HVAC is set to 16 degrees? My immediate thought was the water valve which opens/closes, allowing hot coolant in the heater core. I assumed the valve was stuck and would not close completely, hence allowing coolant flow in the core. I went ahead and bought a replacement valve from Tischer BMW (USA)

The old one as it was in the car

First I had to remove the airbox to allow some space to work.

Remove 3 push-lock pins for the air intake assembly

Unplug MAF and loosen the big clamp that holds the intake boot on the MAF

Remove the 2 x 10mm bolts that hold the airbox assembly in place

Airbox removed

Unplug the water valve connector

Pull the water valve out of its 3 rubber guides to reveal the 2 hose clamps screws. Use a flathead screwdriver to undo both screws, paying attention which is the upper and which is the lower hose.

The new water valve
Front:

Rear:

Coolant flow arrow

I placed a rag underneath the water valve to catch the coolant and pulled both hoses out. Then I immediately placed the new water valve and pushed both hoses back in place. Screwed both clamps and secured the valve in place. Plug the connector in the valve. Re-install airbox and MAF connector. Job almost done.

Since air was introduced in the system from the partial coolant loss, I bled the system just to make sure. Removed coolant cap, loosened the bleed screw, started the engine and set the heater temp to its highest setting (32 degrees Celcius) in full blast. Setting the temp in the highest setting would open the water valve allowing coolant flow in the entire system. I topped up the coolant with a 50/50 mix of BMW Antifreeze and distilled water so that the indicator would go to the top mark. As soon as bubble-free coolant started to come out from the bleeder screw, I tightened it, turned off engine and replaced coolant cap.

Job done. Now I have outside environment temperature air even when the A/C is off. I'll open the old water valve to see what actually failed. The heater valve connector wires were a bit exposed for some reason so I applied a generous amount of PVC tape for protection.
Paraklas your a champ. But I have a question for you.

My upper radiator hose failed recently, spilling coolant EVERYWHERE over my engine bay. After this, I no longer had cold air, even at 16*c. Is it possible that coolant spilt on the heater valve, damaging it and therefore disabling cool air? If so, should I go ahead and replace this part?

Also, part # and $ would be great.

Cheers

edit: also i've noticed (if it helps with the diagnosis of my problem) - when the ac is set to lowest temp (16*c), the drivers side vents are *slightly* warmer than the passenger side (note that I drive a RHD car)

Last edited by dh0licious; 08-04-2009 at 07:14 PM.
dh0licious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
barcode

My Ride: 325i 2003
Thanks for the info and photos, I'm cool now.
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh0licious View Post

My upper radiator hose failed recently, spilling coolant EVERYWHERE over my engine bay. After this, I no longer had cold air, even at 16*c. Is it possible that coolant spilt on the heater valve, damaging it and therefore disabling cool air? If so, should I go ahead and replace this part?

Try re-bleeding the cooling system for starters. Also, check the AC belt and the pulleys for coolant presence. Coolant on the pulleys will cause the belt to slip, I had a similar issue when coolant was sprayed on the engine belt and caused the battery light to trigger every time I turned the steering wheel. That valve is sealed pretty good, I don't think spraying it with coolant would have any effect on its functionality.

Got the valve from Tischer

Water hoses/water valve - BMW parts catalog

Cheers

edit: also i've noticed (if it helps with the diagnosis of my problem) - when the ac is set to lowest temp (16*c), the drivers side vents are *slightly* warmer than the passenger side (note that I drive a RHD car)
See my comments in Red
Part Number is:64 11 8 369 805
Old 09-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
mquraish

My Ride: 330xi
Great DIY!

I wanted to minimize coolant leakage/spillage during the change of the water valve - so I "clamped" the hoses leading to/from the valve with some needlenose pliers gently held tight with some twine. Not a drop of coolant spilled from the pipes. Note that I protected the hose from the sharp edges of the pliers with some shop towels.
mquraish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
datssoled

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Is the shorter hose suppose to connect to the top and longer house to the bottom of the valve openings?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Is it verified that if you unplug the valve that it will always stay cold? I have an issue where my A/C is always at 59deg F, and it goes off and on hot and cold.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
subscribed, will be doing this tomorrow
Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
romoguy15

My Ride: 330ci 5spd
Thankyou so much for this DIY! And great job!
romoguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
karibrich

My Ride: BMW 325i
Changed temp control valve and problem solved. Had 2 repairs shops tell me it was the flapper door which of course involves opening the dash and a days work. Glad I didn't listen. Very easy to do 20 minutes tops.
karibrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibrich View Post
Changed temp control valve and problem solved. Had 2 repairs shops tell me it was the flapper door which of course involves opening the dash and a days work. Glad I didn't listen. Very easy to do 20 minutes tops.
what was your problem, originally? i changed my water heater valve, and heat is still coming into the cabin, especially when driving local...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Jerry61

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Did this correct your problem???

Hey dh0licious,
I recently had the same problem you describe losing the top radiator hose. What did you do to correct the issues you were having with your A/C not working properly?

thanks,
Jerry61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh0licious View Post

Cheers

Jerry61 is offline   Reply With Quote