E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
Stripper79

My Ride: BMW M3 Convertible
Tyre Pressure Light Warning

hi

I had a flat tyre last friday and luckily enough had a spare tyre so i took the spare tyre to the garage and got them to put the tyre onto my rim and then put the rim back on my car and driving along fine then the tyre pressure light comes on and im like oh no so stops at garage and checks tyre pressure and all the tyres are perfect so i reset tyre pressure light only for it to come on again maybe 20 minutes later anybody got any ideas why as the tyres are clearly ok pressure wise.

I may add the spare tyre i put on is exactly the same tyre type and more or less same tread as the other rear tyre so wouldnt suspect its that.

thanks
Stripper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
carlchristian
Banned

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
I have the same problem.
carlchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
kktvr4

My Ride: 03 IS300
Send a message via AIM to kktvr4
Me too. I just got new tires up front. Did a reset, 30 minutes later came on again, checked the air this afternoon it all seems to be fine. What gives?
kktvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Ispeed

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to Ispeed
i think the way bmw works the monitor is by wheel speed and not an actual sensor in the tire, so when one tire has more pressure then another it spins at a different rate triggering the light on the dash. All you have to do is make sure both front & back wheels are at the same pressure.

well i know this works on my 2005 m3 cause i have had the same problem all of you are having
2009 RR Sport
Ispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
santo666

My Ride: 2002 M3
did you try actually reseting the value or just reseting the light? if you hold the button down for several seconds it will reset the value for the tire pressure. i haven't had to try this but i know i read some where along the lines of doing this for this issue.
santo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
g3rpy

My Ride: Lada
Did the mechanic put the sensor back in?

I had all four alloys and tyres changed to CSL wheels on my M3, they did not put back in the sensors.. so my light is constantly on!!

going to wait till my tyres need changing and then have the sensors put back in.

Gurps
g3rpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Stripper79

My Ride: BMW M3 Convertible
tyre pressure

hi

I went to the garage to check pressure again and all roughly around 30 some had 31 some 32 so i made sure all 4 tyres were exactly the same pressure and then reset the tyre pressure which seems to have worked now.

so no more problems.

thanks
Stripper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
kktvr4

Did you check the sticker on the door? You should have at least 33psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rpy View Post
Did the mechanic put the sensor back in?

I had all four alloys and tyres changed to CSL wheels on my M3, they did not put back in the sensors.. so my light is constantly on!!

going to wait till my tyres need changing and then have the sensors put back in.

Gurps
I don't think there is actually a "tire pressure sensor" in the wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispeed View Post
i think the way bmw works the monitor is by wheel speed and not an actual sensor in the tire, so when one tire has more pressure then another it spins at a different rate triggering the light on the dash. All you have to do is make sure both front & back wheels are at the same pressure.

well i know this works on my 2005 m3 cause i have had the same problem all of you are having

Last edited by kktvr4; 10-22-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by kktvr4
I don't think there is actually a "tire pressure sensor" in the wheels.
If the car comes equipped with TPMS then they do have sensors bolted onto the valve stem inside the barrel of the wheel. So your BMW is actually reading the low tire pressure from your flat tire, or throwing an error because it can't read the pressure from one of the sensors (if you left the flat at home).

The TPMS sensors generally come with a gray valve stem and a gray plastic cap as opposed to black rubber pull-through or metal stems.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form

Last edited by VMRWheels; 10-22-2008 at 06:38 PM.
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Mtrusive

My Ride: BMW M3 zcp 2005
Send a message via AIM to Mtrusive
I think M3 have TPM build into the Axle not the valve stem.......
to reset TPM, turn ignition on and hold down tpm button until it turns red, then start the car and drive for a few minutes.. it will turn off by itself.

sham
Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
matt2ace

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrusive View Post
I think M3 have TPM build into the Axle not the valve stem.......
to reset TPM, turn ignition on and hold down tpm button until it turns red, then start the car and drive for a few minutes.. it will turn off by itself.

sham
I get this same problem typically on a long highway trip. I found that you can reset the light while driving by just holding the button for about 15 sec until the light goes out. I did find a 2-3 psi delta between back tires when this first occured early this summer. When it occured again, I stopped and checked the pressures immediately and found both front and rear tires where matched within 1 psi.

2003 M3 SMG
IR/Blk loaded (with CF) and a few performance mods
Daily Drivers: 1997 E39/528 auto , 2004 X3 3.0 auto
matt2ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
///P

My Ride: 2004 M3 vert
I am sure that the M3 did not come from the factory with a TPMS...the sensor system is all ABS driven and only monitors different wheel rotation patterns that are an indication of a flat or low-pressure tire...it can also be triggered by different wheel diameters, as when one tire has more tread depth than the others and will spin at a different apparent rate...that said, nothing beats actually measuring tire pressure at the valve...at best, the Low Pressure light is little more than a gimmick.
///P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
sean454

My Ride: 05 Cb/cinn M3
spare tire has more tread than others resulting in different rotation speeds which then makes the tpms light to come on. reset your tpms. owners manual shows you how.
sean454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
p4paco

My Ride: 3series e46 320D
how would i tell if my car has TPMs or whether the sensing is done via the ABS sensors.
1999 e46 saloon. I'v had the problem for over a year, & just ignored it, but its getting on my nerves, esp when my passengers ask why there's a warning light on my dash.
(prolly partly b'coz i cruize at 90)
p4paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
polorl57

My Ride: 325
they have to have the sensors on the valve stem itself...or else my aftermarket rims never wouldve thrown off the tps light...for hte last 4 yrs
polorl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
04VERT

My Ride: 04 m3 vert, 92 eagle
there are no sensors on the rims or valve stems i found this out because i called three different dealers trying to get the sensors for my after market wheels and they all talked to me like i had three heads because they say that we dont have sensors in our wheels but couldnt explain why i had a light until the last dealer that i spoke to had told me that it is done through the speed monitoring system all it does is measure the speed of each tires rotation they say that the light stays on alot with aftermarket wheels because they have a tendency to rotate at slightly different speeds do to the major difference in width and slight difference in diameter of the tires compaired to stock sizes
04VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #17
Akbrazil

My Ride: 03 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to Akbrazil Send a message via MSN to Akbrazil
What does the light look like and how do you know if you have it?? I have a 2003 m3, what year did they come out. I don't have a owners manaul so I have no idea what to look for.

And what about the button you guys talk about, where is this button??
Akbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
jonD
Banned User

My Ride: M3
Send a message via Yahoo to jonD
had the same problem and could not get it to stop, I brought it to BMW and they said "they would take care of it" and brought it into the service garage and came back and it was fixed..Never asked what they did
jonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #19
Akbrazil

My Ride: 03 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to Akbrazil Send a message via MSN to Akbrazil
Anybody??

What does the light look like and how do you know if you have it?? I have a 2003 m3, what year did they come out. I don't have a owners manaul so I have no idea what to look for.

And what about the button you guys talk about, where is this button??
Akbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
kktvr4

Oh man, this thread is old.

Its the button that looks like a flat tire with ! in the middle.

Check your tire pressure, make sure they are right with no variance between sides.

Turn your key to position 2 (with engine off)

Hold on to the button until the lights go out completely on your dash, then hold it again until it turns yellow.

start the car, and the lights should go off by itself.