E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Lee Reynolds

My Ride: 325ti
Cooling Fan Override

Hi guys.

This is my first post so be gentle!

I'm currently building a track car using a 325ti as a Base. This isn't my first rodeo, I've built a few track cars in my time, but mostly from 80's rot boxes with simple wiring.

In the past if I wanted to bypass the temp sensor it was a case of bridging the wires from it together which would bring the fan on. Simples.

It seems the e46 has a ferkin complicated way of going about cooling down a radiator. Either everyone on the Internets has never done this on a 46 or it can't actually be done. (I don't want to bypass the cars existing system with the switch off, I need the cooling system to behave normally unless I flip it).

I've tried unplugging the temp sensor as one of my many googlings suggested this, but the fan is still not playing ball.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, this forum has been so helpful to me over the last few years I've never had to post..... until now lol
Lee Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
If you can't get it figured out, install a second low profile fan like the Spal #30100400 / #30100401 that you control manually from the cockpit. Just make sure it's flowing the same way as your stock OE fan so that they're Not fighting each other.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/spal-el...ans-p1160.aspx

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & XI E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Lee Reynolds

My Ride: 325ti
Thanks Rob. That was going to be my last resort but it's looking like it's my only one!
Lee Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
heineken016

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Seems like its just resistance based, rig up a switch with an appropriate amount of resistance on the alternate circuit?

http://m54megasquirt3.blogspot.com.a...1#comment-form
Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #5
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds View Post
Thanks Rob. That was going to be my last resort but it's looking like it's my only one!
Why not just simply use our software bundle and tweak the thermostat setpoints?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TunerPro_eThermostat.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	612604  
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #6
heineken016

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Sorry for off topic, but daniel_f you are the man. Been following the ms43 thread
Old 09-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
E46 thermo is PWM conrolled, with daniel f's suggestion, there is scalar in his xdf that allows you to turn off the fan at the dme, I can confirm that this works. I am running a spal fan, thermostat, and two relays (one with a resistor) for low/high speed.

Last edited by Davew; 09-14-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote