E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
scotty02uk

My Ride: E90 320D MSport 2009
DINAN question (s2 and auto software on a E46 330ci)

Morning

Does anyone have the dinan stage 2 with automatic transmission software?
I have a 330 and am considering getting these installed (without the dinan induction as i already have the bmw performance intake).
scotty02uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
[USMC]Skywalker

My Ride: 2005 Tiag M3
Dinan Stage 2 with BMW performance intake

i realize its been a while since you posted, but I have a 330ci with BMW performance intake and thinking about updating to a Dinan stage 2 and automatic transmission software. Did you actually try it yet?
[USMC]Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
scotty02uk

I was going to go for it. There are 2 garages in the uk that supply the dinan software, one said they don't do it anymore, and the other Munich legends said they would. Long story short I booked my car in at Munich legends, drove 3 hours to them, to find out the only engineer who could do that software upgrade had forgotten about my booking. After several emails I gave up as they ignored me a d didn't respond, very bad service tbh. In the end I got the latest version of sprint booster module, and kept it on the green setting, this sorted out my auto box lag gy throttle response. I will be going for an engine tune in the future and have fitted a BMW performance intake which I
Proved the sound. Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Unfortunately, I have moved on way past the Dinan engine/automatic software. Back then, I was a bit disappointed in both but knew that it was covered under the factory warranty which is the main reason that I bought both. Once I was out of warranty I went big time with an AA/2 SC. You can see in my garage the other upgrades that I did that might interest you.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
[USMC]Skywalker

Thanks

Thanks for all the input, sorry to hear about the bad customer service man that stinks. My car is still under warranty for another year, so thats why I was going to go the dinan route. I am looking to get a high flow exhaust. Considering Dinan or BMW Performance Exhaust.. any recommendations?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
scotty02uk

Apparentely the UUC TSE3-L is a good buy, nice sound with no drone.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty02uk View Post
Apparentely the UUC TSE3-L is a good buy, nice sound with no drone.
It is... more expensive but worth every penny

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Jim Murphy

The biggest exhaust restriction are the primary tubes. Once you see them (photos are around many of these threads) then it will be obvious why. Most exhaust mufflers assume that you are using the OEM header and they will work fine. Once you go to a free flowing header (or Magnaflow header/cat if emission is enforced in your area) then a much stronger muffler system is called for as the exhaust pressure/volume will be higher. I know because I found out the hard way - look at my garage for what I have now (once was a cat back UUC TSE3 - now for sale).

Jim
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
95m3ltw

My Ride: 330CicZHP 325iTZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
Back then, I was a bit disappointed in both but knew that it was covered under the factory warranty which is the main reason that I bought both.
Dinan products are NOT covered by any BMW factory warranty, not now and at no time in the past. Read both the Dinan warranty and BMW factory warranty, there is no language anywhere in either stating such and anyone that tells you there is coverage is either mistaken or outright lying. This all started when Dinan started "Matching" BMW's new car warranty in time duration and approached BMW new car Dealers to be Dinan Dealers. At no point was there ever a official relationship between the two, it was a per dealer agreement between Dinan and the individual BMW dealership. Neither Dinan or BMW claim to cover each others products.

There have been numerous cases where customers had issues with a Dinan product and the BMW dealer refused warranty work because of the Dinan product while Dinan blamed the dealership. At the end of the day, the customer was stuck in the middle trying to get their car repaired. That issue and with BMW's introduction of their own performance products is the reason most Dealers have stopped selling Dinan products.
95m3ltw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
^ yes... The only Dinan product I am possibly going to buy (and I reinforce the word possibly because it costs so much for so little of a change) is the high flow throttle body. Besides that there is nothing I really want from them. All of their products are available from other tuners.

You can "earn" the Dinan badge (10 points) with nothing more than enough cosmetic shiite on your car, to me that in itself is a joke. It should require a decent amount of performance upgrades, not just wheels, pedals, etc., to get.

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
[USMC]Skywalker

Thanks for the input. Jim, it was insightful about the exhaust, I am going to do some research on them. Currently all I have in my car is the BMW Performance intake. Thanks for clearing up the Dinan Warranty... I did not know that and it opens up the market for me
Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
SLVRgrau

My Ride: 330 Ci '05 ZHP
I've been wanting to increase horsepower on my ZHP, I have no engine modifications, however, would the BMW performance intake allow me to do this? Anyone? Suggestions?
SLVRgrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRgrau View Post
I've been wanting to increase horsepower on my ZHP, I have no engine modifications, however, would the BMW performance intake allow me to do this? Anyone? Suggestions?
There are many threads on here for the mods that you can do. Normally Aspirated (NA) route (Intake, exhaust, etc) will only provide a small increase in HP compared to the Forced Induction (FI) route which will provide over 100+ HP increase (to start) based on how far you go. How much money do you want to spend is the deciding factor.

Jim
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
SLVRgrau

that's the thing, not crazy about spending lot$ I guess leave the ZHP alone is best for me. Thanks for the reply...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
[USMC]Skywalker

my performance intake gave better throttle response and felt like I was accelerating faster (not by much). I bought it more for looks. Jim Murphy is right unless you got forced induction you won't get that drastic performance increase regardless of what you do. But then again if you really want that much extra power get a 335 or an e46 M3
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
SLVRgrau

A friend of mine has an '07 335i which is fun to drive, but I'll wait a while before I consider getting one. However,I read the hp gains on the AA website and I wonder if the software alone would give me the 12 to 15 extra horsepower they claim or if I have to pair it with an exhaust and intake system to attain those gains. Anyone w/info?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRgrau View Post
A friend of mine has an '07 335i which is fun to drive, but I'll wait a while before I consider getting one. However,I read the hp gains on the AA website and I wonder if the software alone would give me the 12 to 15 extra horsepower they claim or if I have to pair it with an exhaust and intake system to attain those gains. Anyone w/info?
IF someone offered me enough money for my SC 330Ci ZHP I would buy the hottest version of the 135 (335 2nd choice) BMW will be offering - the 1 M was way overpriced and too few of them. It is VERY easy/cheap to gain a LOT of HP simply because it comes with the turbo from the factory (does it also have direct injection?). I believe that this is the best bang for the buck. Still waiting to see what BMW will offer.

Jim
Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
SLVRgrau

I need help! I'm trying to get the aFE intake system, however, one seller tells me tha the aFE intake kit i have in mind would not fit because I have Xenon lights, instead they recommend their much higher priced intake kit. I contacted another seller and they tell me that having Xenon lights has nothing to do with fitment. I wonder if the first seller is trying to get me to buy the more expensive intake system. Part numbers in question are: 54-20442 priced at $287.00; this being the one I want to buy. Part # 54-10441 priced at $409.00 is the one they are telling me will fit. can anyone help?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
[USMC]Skywalker

I honestly don't think the Xenons has to do anything with it, but I could be wrong. I have a BMW Performance Intake and BMW claims that this intake gives as much air as the engine can possibly handle and I would say besides the sound at high RPM and improved throttle response there isn't much HP gain. I don't think there can be much performance difference by just installing an intake as the 330s are already pretty responsive. My 2 cent get an intake based on reviews and get a software update to match it. Dinan's intake is about 299 and they have a Stage 2 software to map the engine to work seamlessly and use the extra air coming in. I will check it out.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
SLVRgrau

that is my plan, to get the aFE intake and also the AA software for my ZHP; Active Autoworke claims up to 15 Hp gains an their software costs $499.00 so it doesnt sound bad...
Thanks for the info...

Tags
330, auto, dinan, tuning