E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Testing Maf sensor How to do it

It's called Volumetric Efficiency and is a measurement in percentage of the actual ability of the engine to move air versus what it could move in a perfect world. To use this test, you need a scan tool capable of recording data and a VE Calculator like this one. The calculator requires the engine size in cubic inch displacement, airflow in grams/second, engine rpm and intake air temperaure when tested. Set your scan tool to record these PIDs (Parameter Identifications) and take the car out for a test drive. If you want to test the accuracy of the MAF sensor, record the fuel trim PIDs (STFT and LTFT) as well.

From a rolling start in first or second gear, perform a wide open throttle run while recording the data. Make 3 or 4 passes in order to compare results. Back at the shop, find the point in your recording where airflow reported by the MAF and engine rpm are at their highest. Enter these values into the calculator. The result is a percentage to "ideal". Ideal would be 100% of the engine's displacement. However, "ideal" is not real world and normal efficiency is generally 80% or more. Turbocharged and supercharged engines will run higher than 100%, naturally, so bear that in mind if testing an engine so equipped.

If VE is low, and fuel trims are correcting positive (for a lean condition), then suspect an inaccurate reading from the MAF sensor. If VE is low, and fuel trims are normal, then look for restrictions to air flow. A "running" compression test can help isolate whether the restriction is on the intake side of the combustion chamber or the exhaust side.

The VE calculator is another diagnostic tool that can provide quick direction in diagnosing various driveability complaints. But just is as the case with other diagnositic tools, it should be followed by more pinpoint tests to verify the results...and the failure.

Now if someone would be kind enough to give me a place to host the file I will make the VE calc available for download

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Wow six view guess no one needs this info they would rather just replace expensive parts.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
^
good info but i dont think to many people have the tool required for this job laying around in their tool box....that might explain the lack of replies...but its really good info...thanks for sharing
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
lol good post..this will come in handy next time. I'm sure videos would help many in here in additon to your write ups.

Last edited by Miko_10; 10-20-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Miko_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
EXNoodle

My Ride: 330CI
Send a message via AIM to EXNoodle
Should probably be on the DYI forum, right? What is the scan tool? The peake tool or something else?

Awesome write up jbeurotech..
Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNoodle View Post
Should probably be on the DYI forum, right? What is the scan tool? The peake tool or something else?

Awesome write up jbeurotech..

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=596502
Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
neil1138

yeah, I love your threads trying to help us out, but Most of the things in your posts are way over my head. The cost of buying these tools or doing this or that is just not worth it compared to an Indy diagnostic fee. Don't get me wrong, I know I really appreciate your efforts but sometimes us fanatics don't have access to the things needed to perform these tests. But thanks for teaching us.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Any cheap scan tool that can read data will work fine. As far as the VE calculator it is very easy to use if someone can host the file I will upload it for everyone to have.

This tool looks like it would even work for this basic test
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16546

I think some of the Autozone ones that you rent even do live data.

HERE IS A SCREEN SHOT OF A GOOD MAF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ve CALC GOOD.pdf (6.1 KB, 934 views)

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Last edited by jbeurotech; 10-20-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Here is a bad maf on a Toyota(I know why was i working on one of those..... Long story!!)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VE Toyota.pdf (10.4 KB, 586 views)

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Is that better I am still learning what you know and don't and how best to help you. Trust me I am not trying to talk over you guys. I thought this was a simple straight forward test. let me know what gives you troubles about it and we can have a discussion and see if people can get through it

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 10-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Seth, I will gladly host the file for you (if it's not HUGE). Email me - ken@bimmertools.com.

Regarding the Peake tool's capability of recording the required data, they do not offer that feature. This is why the customers that demand live data tend to opt for a generic tool with that capability. Keep in mind that the generic tools differ from the Peake tools in that they don't read the BMW specific diagnostic codes. The Peake tools are a single-purpose, BMW-specific code reader/reset tool - not a data logger. Two distinct types of products, both have benefits. Most of my customers prefer the functionality and accuracy of the Peake tools (as described in the article linked above and in my sig).

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Ok sent it to Ken who should have a link for you guys soon have fun!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 10-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
Autozone code readers do have this thing to record live, just plug it up and scroll through the menu instead of choosing enter to read codes.

Eurobahn BMW MINI Mercedes-Benz Audi - Greensboro, NC Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogenic View Post
Autozone code readers do have this thing to record live, just plug it up and scroll through the menu instead of choosing enter to read codes.
Perfect there you go you can do all of this for free!!! Now someone should do this before and after cleaning there maf and record the results to test the effectiveness of this cleaner.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
What a clever little calculator!

You can find the link at the top of our diagnostic tools page - www.bmwscantools.com. It is a very small .exe file - click the link and save the file.

Thanks, Seth!

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #16
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Works good to thanks for getting the file up
direct link http://www.alkendesign.com/ve.exe

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Last edited by jbeurotech; 10-20-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Thanks to both you guys. Ill be downloading this over the weekend when Im cleaning my MAF and changing plugs, etc.

You guys rock
Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Top for guy with Maf issue

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Question. MS43 3.0 - running poorly, misfiring, and accrid white smoke....unplug new MAF since I was no longer using the MS45 DME and wiring harness (swapping the 3.0 / 6spd into a 325 auto wagon)....

anyway - unplug the new MAF and the car runs fine, idles great, no surging of rpm's, no misfires, can rev the engine without it dying...plug the maf back in...all goes to sh1t

I am turning the car off each time before plugging and unplugging. I had thought it was a fuel, spark or vacuum problem(s) up until I figured out the problem with the wagon by accident - I unplugged the MAF and then prepared to tear other things apart...then remembered I wanted to spray starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks and started the car (with the MAF still unplugged) and it ran perfect...no missing, no surging and no rich fuel smoke out the exhaust....turned it off - plugged in the MAF and it ran like crap again...missing, surging, etc....

Unplugged the MAF - ran fine. So tomorrow I am going to test the MAF wiring and the MAF and try to get a replacement or test MAF
Old 12-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #20
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Perfect there you go you can do all of this for free!!! Now someone should do this before and after cleaning there maf and record the results to test the effectiveness of this cleaner.
Why do I get the feeling you already know the answer to this? Is it modern day snakeoil? I'de do the test but I don't have a dirty MAF to test. Mine was replaced recently.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maf testing