E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
Snapasaurus

My Ride: 2005 325i SULEV
Khoalty angel eye help

I've had my angel eyes for about a year and a half now, and I haven't had any problems with them. For the past week now, I've had two rings in which half of the LEDs would go out, stutter a bit, and sometimes come back on. I'm thinking it's a loose wire into the ring, but if anyone else has had this problem and would like to shed some light on the situation, that would be great.

Thanks In advanced.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Snapasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Check the wiring then get back to us. Swap the rings from the other side and see what happens.

Most likely the wiring going to the control box (if it has one) is failing/loose/bad solder
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Individual
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
^ what he said. If it's still giving errors on the same rings, then you'll know there's a issue with the rings themselves.

@SolidJake, what angel eyes are you using? I vaguely remember reading it somewhere in a thread, but can't remember where. Also the pics of your car keep getting better and better.

EDIT: They were Orions, weren't they?

Last edited by Bafffyyy; 04-28-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: herp derp massive memory fail
Bafffyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
KieranG

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have been experiencing this same issue (but with all the LEDs in my 2 rings) for the last couple days. I managed to trace it to the little box (like solidjake said) if we are talking about the same box - sorry, I'm no wiring expert. Anyway, it appears that the connections are loose inside the container, but the connections are epoxied in so I can't take it apart to solve it myself. However, the issue is definitely inside the little container, as tapping it, shaking it, and messing with it in general effects the flickering. I reached out to the company who makes my specific rings, but will probably basically be told I'm screwed. Interesting that someone else seems to have a similar issue, please update with your findings. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafffyyy View Post
^ what he said. If it's still giving errors on the same rings, then you'll know there's a issue with the rings themselves.

@SolidJake, what angel eyes are you using? I vaguely remember reading it somewhere in a thread, but can't remember where. Also the pics of your car keep getting better and better.

EDIT: They were Orions, weren't they?
Yes sir, first gen orion V2's when they first came out.

Thanks man!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Yes sir, first gen orion V2's when they first came out.

Thanks man!
orion v2...one of the best and brightest AE for e46 hands down. also lifetime warranty

btw jake, since you have the orion v2 did you do anything special to your AE "Box" like did you wrap eletrical tape all around it? or did you just leave it like the way it came out the box. (mine is unprotected but hiding behind the headlight support railing just scared that moisture might get into the box
Old 04-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

I have the older one so it doesn't have that white box for the connectors so mine is hidden in the headlight itself.