E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Have you ever used Seafoam?
Yes, I highly recommend it. 51 38.35%
Yes, But I dont recommend it. 7 5.26%
No, But I have thought about it. 51 38.35%
No, I would never do it. 9 6.77%
No, I have mixed feelings about it. 16 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #941
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfarrington View Post
My point exactly. I'm saying I feel it'll work, it worked on my dads truck when ran it in the gas only.
Same concept as Techron.. or any time you put gas really. Just concentrated. Go for it. Nothing dangerous about it. Common sense goes a long way.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #942
mattfarrington

My Ride: 04 325xi
Well, the only dangerous thing would be to hydro lock the engine. lol

But I did find the video on their site and how he used his finger to allow only a few drips to go at a time, I'll go with that method and a funnel.
mattfarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #943
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
So, if I understand correctly, the rate that you pour the Seafoam in to the vacuum line determines if you hydrolock your motor?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #944
dpower2012

My Ride: 05 BMW 325CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
So, if I understand correctly, the rate that you pour the Seafoam in to the vacuum line determines if you hydrolock your motor?
Yes... drip it in there, don't dunk the vacuum line in the bottle.
dpower2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #945
mattfarrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
Yes, if you pour it in too fast, it'll just puddle up and the engine won't fire, and you'll need to rebuild your engine.

I've seen some people pull the spark plugs out and turn it over to get the stuff out, but.. it's never a guarantee.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #946
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpower2012 View Post
Yes... drip it in there, don't dunk the vacuum line in the bottle.
alright I just wasn't sure what was the main factor. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #947
tcek

My Ride: BWM 325Xi - 2004
I have used Seaform in all 5 of my BMWs. However, I did not pour it into my oil. I only used a full can in a full gas tank and 1/3 can through the brake booster (in all). I let it set for 5 minutes and watched the smoke. I made the mistake of letting it stand after the brake booster install for 10 minutes in my 94 318i. It smoked for 20 minutes (NO kidding). Made the mistake of doing it in a residential neighborhood too. Very embarrassing...but car has worked. Now at 200k miles
tcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #948
RA733

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcek View Post
I have used Seaform in all 5 of my BMWs. However, I did not pour it into my oil. I only used a full can in a full gas tank and 1/3 can through the brake booster (in all). I let it set for 5 minutes and watched the smoke. I made the mistake of letting it stand after the brake booster install for 10 minutes in my 94 318i. It smoked for 20 minutes (NO kidding). Made the mistake of doing it in a residential neighborhood too. Very embarrassing...but car has worked. Now at 200k miles
Hehe, ya I did the same thing. But I poured 1can in my gas tank, then used one can via vacum line(btw took me 45 min to induce to the eng.), then I kid u not I could not see 10 feet behind my car. Then to my luck the fire dpartment shows up, and the first words out the capt was "Rellly, dam explorer shouda knwn". but the show was great, it lasted atlest 30 mins

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
RA733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #949
mattfarrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA733 View Post
Hehe, ya I did the same thing. But I poured 1can in my gas tank, then used one can via vacum line(btw took me 45 min to induce to the eng.), then I kid u not I could not see 10 feet behind my car. Then to my luck the fire dpartment shows up, and the first words out the capt was "Rellly, dam explorer shouda knwn". but the show was great, it lasted atlest 30 mins

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
Yeah next time I'm gonna do a while can in the vacuum line, and a whole can in the gas tank.

But yeah, I didn't even "pour" it into the engine, I mearly tilted the can, and let the vacuum suction suck it out of the can. Took me about 20 minutes or so for 1/2 can.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #950
J LAU

My Ride: 325i
Seafoam is fine......good stuff. I have used it so many times.
owned my car since 05. I know how it feels when the car was new.

we should host a seafoam party at a parking lot.

Last edited by J LAU; 09-21-2012 at 04:20 AM.
J LAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #951
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Combined every seafoam thread into one.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #952
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Make sure you change your oil afterwards. No way that a product that breaks down sludge and cleans out deposits is going to be good for your oil. There is also no way it won't contaminate your oil.
I am not sure what the instructions for Techron are now, but way back in the 90's they used to reccomend an oil change after running a bottle of it through a tank of gas. That may have changed now though.
So, make sure you do this just before an oil change.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #953
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
I use it through the intake in all my cars and trucks. Have done it for years. Unless you put it into your crankcase, there is no need to do an immediate oil change. It does clean the screen on the converter and if you do manage to set off a CEL, just drive it a few miles and then reset the light with your scan tool. You do have a scan tool don't you? Buy one instead of the clear corners and sides.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #954
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
I use it through the intake in all my cars and trucks. Have done it for years. Unless you put it into your crankcase, there is no need to do an immediate oil change. It does clean the screen on the converter and if you do manage to set off a CEL, just drive it a few miles and then reset the light with your scan tool. You do have a scan tool don't you? Buy one instead of the clear corners and sides.
Not sure who the comment is directed to, but, yes, I do have a code reader. Thanks for making unnecessary assumptions though about me, and my 99% un-modified car. Even if it is directed at the OP, it is a big assumption to make.
As for not needing to change the oil, this stuff is a solvent. You are passing it through your engine. There is bound to be blowby of this stuff in the pistons. Adding a solvent to your engine oil is not a good idea.
So, I stand behind my assertion that an engine cleanings with this stuff should be followed by an oil change. If you have done it for years, you have been driving with a solvent in your oil. And I have no problem believing that is completely possible. It is just not something I would do.
I also will only add Techron to my car in the last tank before an oil change, and wait until it has burned out. As I said, that used to be the reccomendation they printed on the bottle. They may have changed it now. So, while you are free to say that an oil change is not necessary, I am also free to say it is probably a good idea to do so. Is that overly cautious? Possibly. But there is zero chance of harm in waiting to do this before an oil change, while not doing so is still questionable. So why not go with the best odds? No one is ever in need of an emergency application of Seafoam, so there is no harm in timing it correctly. To put it another way, my suggestion is 100% safe, while we really don't know if yours, or anyone else's detrimental or not. You only have your subjective experience to back up your assertions.
Let people decide what they want to do, instead of trying to force your view as the only valid one. A sample of one (or even 3 or 4) is meaningless.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #955
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
If you have that much blow-by you need a rebuild, not a cleaning. The cleaner is in and out very quickly, and the detergent involved will not harm your engine. If you are pouring it in the crankcase that is another matter entirely. Drove my previous Volvo for 27 years without any significant issues. Doubt if you will keep your BMW anywhere close to that. Loud as you yelled, I must have hit a raw nerve. Man up.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #956
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
If you have that much blow-by you need a rebuild, not a cleaning. The cleaner is in and out very quickly, and the detergent involved will not harm your engine. If you are pouring it in the crankcase that is another matter entirely. Drove my previous Volvo for 27 years without any significant issues. Doubt if you will keep your BMW anywhere close to that. Loud as you yelled, I must have hit a raw nerve. Man up.
People usually use ALL CAPS to yell, so no, I did not yell.
But, I was thorough, because I had a feeling you were extremely obstinate. And judging by your follow-up, I can see that was more than necessary.
Your Volvo example is almost meaningless, since a 27 year old Volvo did not have anywhere near the close tolerances that a modern BMW has, not to mention the fact that it was probably an iron block and heads. So, you may as well have said you did the same thing in your Packard. Interesting story. Maybe next time you can contribute something relevant, rather than a folk story.
As far as reactions, the fact you replied to logic with "I must have hit a nerve" and "Man up" pretty much shows how capable you are of following logic, and how much you seem to love the negative attention of trolling.
I am sorry daddy was hard on you, and mommy did not pay attention to you, and perhaps you were not breast fed or something, but I have to leave for the rest of the day, so maybe you can go yell at the mailman for being 15 minutes late, or tell those damn kids to stay off your lawn to fill your need for attention, even if it is the negative variety, for the rest of the afternoon.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #957
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
forum is full of grown ass kids.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #958
awszach

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Is seafoam right for me, or is it to late?

A few peeps have recommended pushing some seafoam thru
I just changed my VCG and now you can really see how bad it is in there.
My Grandpa thinks its its a horrible idea because how caked it is, he doesnt want that crud coming loose and clogging things up, making it worse etc.

What are your thoughts on using some seafoam with my internals so bad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1344115046.693405.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	481848   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1344115060.608121.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	481849  
awszach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #959
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by awszach View Post
A few peeps have recommended pushing some seafoam thru
I just changed my VCG and now you can really see how bad it is in there.
My Grandpa thinks its its a horrible idea because how caked it is, he doesnt want that crud coming loose and clogging things up, making it worse etc.

What are your thoughts on using some seafoam with my internals so bad?
Good call on your grandpa. If all that stuff comes off at once, your oil pickup strainer is going to just get clogged with it. Just use a BMW approved and change it more frequently and everything will get cleaned from use.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #960
awszach

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
good to know, thank you sir
awszach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, cleaner, dmax, engine, fuel, gas, injector, injectors, intake, seafoam, smoke, suction, tank, white