E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
F1 - BRAZILIAN GP - Official thread

The official thread for the Brazilian GP, and as usual we'll get it started off with info from BMW Sauber!

BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM - BRAZILIAN GP - PREVIEW

18th and final World Championship race - 31st October – 2nd November 2008

Munich/Hinwil -- Rarely has a season been so unpredictable. Fears of humdrum afternoons were dispelled as thrilling battles unfolded; while where high drama was expected, an orderly procession ensued. On 2nd November one of the most exciting Formula One seasons on record will go down to the wire in São Paulo. All we know for certain is both the Drivers’ and Constructors’ World Championships will be decided at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Although still in its early years on the grid, the BMW Sauber F1 Team retained an outside chance of claiming both titles right up to the 17th of 18 World Championship races. A one two, a total of 11 podium finishes, one pole position and two fastest race laps, as well as 100% technical reliability and the fastest pit stops on the grid, have so far provided the success stories in the team’s third season.

Robert Kubica goes into the final race of 2008 determined to hold onto his third place in the drivers’ standings. But that is no easy task, with the Ferrari of reigning World Champion and last year’s Brazilian Grand Prix winner, Kimi Räikkönen, lurking six points behind him. Nick Heidfeld lies fifth in the standings, nine points behind the Finn and seven ahead of Renault’s resurgent Fernando Alonso.

The Constructors’ Championship could also see further shifts in position. The BMW Sauber F1 Team is currently third on 135 points, ten points behind McLaren Mercedes. In 2007 the BMW Sauber F1 Team collected 101 points in 17 World Championship races.

While Heidfeld will line up at Interlagos with the same powertrain as in China, Kubica is due both a new engine and gearbox. The two drivers have been out of sync in this respect since the first race of the season, when Kubica’s F1.08 was rear-ended in the Australian Grand Prix.

Before setting off for Brazil, the team’s drivers and management are scheduled to make a pit stop in Munich. Kubica is visiting the BMW plants in Landshut and Dingolfing today (Friday), then on Saturday he and Heidfeld, the test drivers Christian Klien and Marko Asmer, plus Mario Theissen, Willy Rampf and Peter Sauber will all be attending the BMW Sauber F1 Team Race Club Fan Event in and around the BMW branch in Fröttmaning. Around 1,000 members of the fan club came to last year’s get-together in Munich. The highlight of the event will once again be the demo runs with the Formula One car on a sealed-off road.

Nick Heidfeld:
“I’m pleased for the fans, but also personally, that we have an exciting finale to the World Championship. Plus, I’m curious to see whether the track is still the same as it was in 2007. That was a nice surprise, as the track’s surface used to be really bad and very bumpy. It was always being patched up, but it was only when the track was re-asphalted ahead of the 2007 Grand Prix that it really became a good surface. The layout of the Interlagos track is excellent and very demanding on the drivers – not least, of course, as far as our neck muscles are concerned. I think São Paulo’s pretty cool as a city, but at the back of your mind are always the stories about muggings and you hear about that sort of thing every year.”

Robert Kubica:
“Brazil is traditionally the final race of the season, and Interlagos is a very demanding and interesting circuit. My first race there was in 2002 in Formula Renault, and I’ve been back with the BMW Sauber F1 Team for the last two years. Interlagos is physically very tiring because we drive the circuit anticlockwise. That’s something we’re not used to, and we feel it especially in the neck. I’m currently third in the drivers’ standings, six points in front of Kimi, and, of course, it’s my aim to defend this position.”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
“The 2008 Formula One season is now going onto the finishing straight. In 2007 the outcome of the title was only decided in a thrilling final race in Brazil. Perhaps the Formula One fans will also get to enjoy a similarly exciting finale this year. Two drivers still have a chance of becoming World Champion in São Paulo.

“The Interlagos circuit has many different aspects, and the weather can also be unpredictable. The long, uphill start-finish straight places particularly heavy loads on the engines. This uphill section also makes the start extremely exciting. Another of its characteristic is the altitude of São Paulo. The thin air means that the engines generate approximately eight percent lower output than at sea level. We are very much looking forward to the final race of 2008 and are aiming to record another good result to round off the season.

“This is the final race in what has been our most successful season since the launch of the BMW Sauber F1 Team. We have achieved our ambitious aims for the third year in succession. We not only proved to be one of the top teams from the outset, we also recorded our maiden race win. It was all the sweeter, of course, that our success in Canada came in the form of a one two. As things stand, we have now had 11 podium finishes this year, compared with two in 2007. This statistic alone is evidence of the considerable steps forward we have made.

“Added to that, Nick brought us our first fastest race lap in Malaysia, Robert claimed our first pole position in Bahrain, and we’ve now scored points in 34 consecutive races, something no other team can match. The last time we went home empty-handed from a GP weekend was in Brazil in the final race of 2006. This achievement does not come down to chance. Our trump cards this season have been spotless reliability, our – for the most part – excellent race strategy, outstanding work in the pit stops and a very small number of mistakes from the drivers.

“In terms of pure performance, we still have ground to make up on Ferrari and McLaren Mercedes, and we didn’t make the progress we hoped to in the second half of the season. Indeed, some of our development projects did not yield the expected performance gains on the track. But I am certain we shall learn the lessons from this for 2009. After all, we want to be up there fighting for the World Championship title next season.”

Willy Rampf, Technical Director:
“For us, the Brazilian Grand Prix represents the end of a highly successful season, and of course we want to round the year off on a positive note. Interlagos is one of the few circuits – alongside Istanbul Park and Singapore – which we drive anticlockwise. Here, the middle sector is critical, with one corner following the next. The key elements are good traction and car balance. Top speed is important in the first and third sectors, with engine output playing a particularly prominent role on the uphill start-finish straight. This section also offers a good overtaking opportunity, as does the end of the straight in sector one. The track was resurfaced in 2007, which evened out a lot of bumps. In contrast to last year, when we opted for the softest tyre option, this time around we’ll be using the medium compounds.”

History and background:
Paulista coffee plantations laid the foundations for the economic growth of the region around São Paulo in south-eastern Brazil. The industrialisation of the late 19th century brought riches, but these have been spread unevenly among the population. Today, the people of São Paulo suffer from the effects of jarring social disparities – bitter poverty and immense wealth exist side by side and crime is rife. The city of São Paulo, founded in 1554, is the capital of the Brazilian state that bears its name and the country’s financial and trading hub. The size of the local population can only be estimated. Eleven million people are thought to live in the city itself, 20 million in the wider São Paulo area. The climate is subtropical.

F1 has been hosted by Brazil since 1973, and 2008 marks the country’s 36th Grand Prix. The debut event was held at Interlagos, with the track still covering 7.96 kilometres at the time and located outside the São Paulo city limits. The city has since mushroomed right up to the outskirts of the race track. In 1978 the Brazilian GP was hosted by the Jacarepagua circuit near Rio de Janeiro for the first time, and it was held there on ten occasions in all. In 1990 F1 returned to Interlagos, where the Brazilian GP has been staged ever since.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Leaving for out of town to go out west. Set the DVR earlier today for all the race coverage.
I expect to come back and see Felipe Massa as World Champion.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
I expect to see LH slow his roll, quali 3rd with Massa on pole, and coast home in 3rd or 4th for the championship.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Considering all the questionable things the stewards have done to Hamilton done this year, it should not be this close, Hamilton should already be champion. If there is any justice left in F1 these days, Hamilton should win the championship, and this is coming from a non-Hamilton fan.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
man, if i was visiting family, i'd be at interlagos today

2001 330ci TT turbo
1992 240sx coupe
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

jarno ftw
Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
Considering all the questionable things the stewards have done to Hamilton done this year, it should not be this close, Hamilton should already be champion. If there is any justice left in F1 these days, Hamilton should win the championship, and this is coming from a non-Hamilton fan.
I've seen some stat that between mistakes and penalties both Hamilton and Massa have lost ~30 each this season.

C'mon Massa.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

zomg kimi smiled in post-quali
Old 11-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
russ330
Mod Squad

Damn i missed it. Normally I watch all of the post race stuff but this time I stopped watching the press conference half way through Jarno. Missing a Kimi smile is like missing a Lunar Eclipse.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
PromethWill88

My Ride: 04 Dinan S M3
wow, Q3 was crrraaazy. pretty intense. congrats to Trulli. Massa was on top form today. I guess home crowd does have its advantages.

can't wait till race tomorrow, what time is again? 11:30 on Speed?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
pMak26

My Ride: '99 M3, '07 r6
gravely disappointed there are massa fans on my favorite site

Trulli's going to get the jump on massa at the start, even from the dirty side of the track. hamilton will hopefully cruise in for the championship with kovalainen storming to the front.

bimmer seems to be off there game these last few races.

Darkhorse of this race... Vettel!!!
pMak26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
I hope Hamilton doesn't blow it. If Kovalinen doesn't protect Hamilton from Alonzo then Hamilton is toast.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #13
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
I hope Hamilton doesn't blow it. If Kovalinen doesn't protect Hamilton from Alonzo then Hamilton is toast.
exactly. alonso is douche enough to try something...............
Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
russ330
Mod Squad

Fcuk
Old 11-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
FVCK HAMILTON

Is it me or did it look like Glock wasn't even fighting for the position?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
PromethWill88

WOW!!!! What an ending to the season! I couldn't believe Glock let Lewis by. Vettel did amazing in the rain. I'm speechless....

CONGRATS Hamilton!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
PromethWill88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
FVCK HAMILTON

He let him by. Glock knew he was in the way of Lewis.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #18
russ330
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
FVCK HAMILTON

I think Glock was afraid of taking someone out because he was out there on slicks. I assume he could barely hold the car together any longer and wanted to salvage whatever points he could. It sucks he couldn't hang on for one more corner though.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #19
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
It was not a conspiracy, both Toyotas did a 1.44 in the last lap. it was too wet for drys.

It should not have been this close anyways, with the Stewards screwing Hamilton earlier in the year, he should have won the championship before this race, though I do feel for Massa.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
fvcking glock. bastard couldn't hold it for one fvcking corner. fvck toyota, fvck panasonic and fvck cheese burgers

I am glad though a black man could actually make it that far in F1. Congrats dawg!