E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
ct126x

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328i
brakes

my brake pad light went on today. How do I tell if I need to replace the rotors? Should I replace just the fronts or do I need all four rotors and pads?
ct126x is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
CRSmoak

My Ride: 2000 328i
Found this on another forum,

"New rotors are required when the old ones are too thin and/or rusty (inside where the vents are). A bit of rust is normal; heavy flaking means it's time for new ones).

You need a micrometer or decent machinist's calipers to accurately measure the rotor thickness. The minimum thickness rating is usually stamped on the rotor itself.

Every new set of pads MUST also have either new rotors or machined rotors. I would suggest removing the old rotors and taking them to a local mechanic and ask if they can be machined. They can measure them and tell you if they are too thin or rusty or if they can be machined. Around here the cost for machining is about $20 each.

You may find new rotors are so cheap that machining does not make much sense. For example, my '97 DeVille's rotors cost me $26 new. Therefore, it did not make sense to drive out of my way to get the old ones machined for $20. The six bucks was not worth the time and effort just to reuse old rotors.

As for the rear brakes, pull off the wheels and have a look at the rear pad thickness. If the lining is less than half the thickness of new brake lining, its a good idea to do them."
CRSmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Odiedog52

My Ride: 02 TiAG M3
mine went off maybe a month or two ago. i ignored it and i went to the shop today, and they said my rear pads are just about metal on metal. go to a shop and have em check your pads, most will do it for free.
Odiedog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
It depends on how rich you are. If you are very rich, you can replace all 6 sets of rotors and pads. If you are just doing well, you can replace the 4 sets of pads and rotors. If you want to save a bit, learn to measure the rotor width and only replace them if necessary. Shops will always want you to replace everything, which is understandable as it is only your money.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
The reason BMWs brake service policy is to replace pads and rotors is to reduce the risk of squealing brakes. Apparently the surface of the used rotor has unevenness that matches the old pads. When new pads are put on, the rotor surface can cause squealing. Depending on the time cost of redoing brake work, its probably a good choice to buy a set of rotors too. Anti-squeal compound only addresses caliper to pad contact.
Also, if you want any shot at reusing the brake sensor, you need to change the pads immediately because the electrical contact wears off along with the remaining few mm of brake pad.

Last edited by xi_ter; 10-26-2008 at 12:06 AM.
xi_ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
On average, OEM pads run 15-25k miles, replace rotors every other pad replacement. Bleed and replace brake fluid every 2 years. SS brake lines help too. Always replace the sensors 1 front L, 1 rear R. Parking brake adjusted/relined every time you to the rotors.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #7
ct126x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
It depends on how rich you are. If you are very rich, you can replace all 6 sets of rotors and pads. If you are just doing well, you can replace the 4 sets of pads and rotors. If you want to save a bit, learn to measure the rotor width and only replace them if necessary. Shops will always want you to replace everything, which is understandable as it is only your money.
theres six of them?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 AM   #8
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct126x View Post
theres six of them?
No there is only 4. That guy typo'ed. Most likely it's your front brakes that need to be changed, since they do the vast majority of the stopping. The only clear way to check is to take the wheel off the front and rear to see which one the sensor is indicating needs to be replaced. You can get a full OEM front or rear kid from Tischer getbmwparts.com for $200 per axle. It's a great deal. Make sure that the shop you take it to is using OEM parts, or better yet do it yourself and save a few hundred dollars. It is advisable to use change the rotors when changing the pads and make sure you change the sensor ($10) , because once the indicator is tripped it shorts out.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct126x View Post
theres six of them?
Yes, six sets for the rich. If you have to ask, then you are not rich.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Rotors and pads should always be changed at the same time.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
^ this is usually what we do at work. but honestly, they can be resurfaced, but its not as good as replacing them
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
^ this is usually what we do at work. but honestly, they can be resurfaced, but its not as good as replacing them
Only if the rotors haven't developed that big of a lip yet or if they're just slightly warped. Otherwise, you're just thinning down the metal too much.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
330ciandr6

tis true... but the size of the lip don't matter if you can resurface them and still be within spec. but yes...the best thing to do is replace rotors with the pads...but you don't HAVE to. I put front pads on my car and rotors were within spec without a lip or warpage...and i've been drivin on them for about 10k so far without any squeaks at all
Old 10-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
kpeng
Banned User

It definitely isn't required, but is recommended because if you replace one and not the other, the more worn part can damage the new one. Warped rotors or rotors with lips in them can cut into new pads, and worn pads can cut into new rotors.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
ct126x

im ordering from tischer right now. do the rotors and pads come in pairs? or do i need to order 2 front rotors, 2 front pads, etc?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
330ciandr6

usually come in pairs
Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
ledfut

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
It definitely isn't required, but is recommended because if you replace one and not the other, the more worn part can damage the new one. Warped rotors or rotors with lips in them can cut into new pads, and worn pads can cut into new rotors.
You're talking about the lip on the outside edge of the rotor? That should be machined off if you're re-using the rotor. As long as the rotors after machining are not under the minimum thickness, it's perfectly fine to re-use them.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #18
Odiedog52

My Ride: 02 TiAG M3
so there is one sensor in the rear, and one in the front?

i know how to replace the rear pads, but i'm not sure about the sensor. is the sensor a separate part i need to order?
Odiedog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
MindTrack

My Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odiedog52 View Post
so there is one sensor in the rear, and one in the front?

i know how to replace the rear pads, but i'm not sure about the sensor. is the sensor a separate part i need to order?
If the sensor wasn't tripped (light on cluster) you don't need to replace them. There is one on drivers side front and passenger side rear iirc
MindTrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #20
mkodama

Why does everyone always say replacing the rotors with new pads?

This seems like a serious waste of money. Rotors usually last at least twice as long as pads, and there usually isn't such a thing as warped rotors, usually just uneven pad deposits. This happens like when people drag their brakes down a long hill or hard braking getting off a freeway and come to a complete stop, leaving the brakes pads and rotors just resting against each other while they are still hot. People should go try properly bedding in their brakes more often since this burns away old pad material...

Also, for various reasons, BMW rotors should not be machined. Either they are still useable, or need to be replaced.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote