E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
brotherj

My Ride: 2001 325I
p0365 error camshaft position sensor B -bank intermittent circuit malfunction

my ODB-II reader came up with "camshaft position sensor B -bank 1 intermittent circuit malfunction"

i have seen alot of posts and from what i found the "B" sensor is exhaust sensor. my question is p0365 thru p0369 all have to do with the cam position sensor B, but with different malfunctions. so does that mean changing the sensor would fix my problem which is the first one listed? or is it a circuit malfunction in the computer or wiring. the SES light goes on and off every other few day sor so. car runs fine.

I would hate to spend the $100 bucks to change a good sensor.

any help is greatly appreciated.
brotherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
It could be wires or a bunch of things. Check the wire to see if it's damaged around the engine. But most likely it's just the sensor. Especially if you still have the original. It's going to go eventually anyway.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
JoeK
99% Stock

My Ride: 03 330
Did you replace it? I also have the p0369 along with p1620 and p0340. If you did, could you please tell me where you got the parts? Thanks.
JoeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
USC E46

My Ride: 325ci sold.. 996 C2
I pulled up a P0369 and bought the exhuast cam sensor. The light turned off before I got to the dealership and bought it anyways (you cant take back electronics) put it in hoping that was the reason for my low idle.. Long story short, it didnt solve anything... To my understanding, just because you have a code doesnt mean it is always that part. Though if you keep getting the light, than you might as well replace it. Any problems with the power, idle hunting?
USC E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
USC E46

Another thing, delete the code and when your light comes back on, if it is the same code, I would go ahead and change it. Its very easy

Also, dont forget to buy the $1.23 green o-ring for it also
Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
JoeK
99% Stock

It continues to come on after i reset it so i guess it might do the trick. So i should just buy it at the dealer, seems like others are getting it at the dealer. How about aftermarket? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
We do not use aftermarket cam sensor any more to many quality issues we only buy from the dealer now we lose some profit but have less comebacks.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
USC E46

Yeah, dont use anftermarket for this part (so ive heard); you will run into different problems down the road. Go to realoem.com look up the part and write down the number and write down that price on the website. Give it to the service guy and most of the time they will charge you that price rather than straight retail. aprx. $100-103 for the cam sensor and 1.23 for the o-ring. There is a DIY around; one bolt, front of motor, very easy
Old 01-05-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
JoeK
99% Stock

Thanks guys for the help, hopefully the codes will all be resolved.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
CrazyVWtunning

My Ride: VW Rabbit Pick up
have the same issue,,using the AUTEL MAXIDAS DS708 GENERIC CODE P0365,CHANGED THE SENSOR FOR AN AFTERMARKET ONE,,,THE LIGHT NEVER CAME UP FOR A WHILE,,BUT I DECIDED TO TAKE THE CAR HOME TO MAKE SURE THAT IT WAS GOOD BEFORE CALL THE CUSTOMER,,,DRIVING HOME FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES THE CODE CAME BACK AND THE CAR START HESITATING AGAIN,,IS A DEALERSHIP AND THE CAR IS FROM A AUCTION,SEEMS LIKE SOMEONE DID THE HEAD ALREADY,,HINTS PLEASE
CrazyVWtunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
CrazyVWtunning

My Ride: VW Rabbit Pick up
Finaly founded the problem,,,ground wire from the Sensor connector broke

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1324737738159.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	429871  
CrazyVWtunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
tailspnr

My Ride: 03 325i Manual
Just wanted to share that had an 02 330i in house today with a P0365 code showing. After reading some of the other threads I decided to check the plug connection. When I removed it, it appeared to have a decent amount of oil in the connection. I removed the sensor just to make sure it was free from debris, cleaned it and reinstalled it. Then I cleaned the electrical connection on the plug at both ends and reconnected everything. Started the car, reset the CEL and drove the car. I immediately ran better and after 10 or so restarts the code is staying off.

Always a good idea to check connections on these cars before shotgunning parts. Last year I fixed an intake cam sensor just by cleaning off the debris from the end of the sensor.

Last edited by tailspnr; 12-05-2013 at 03:56 PM.
tailspnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B

Nice broken ground. Wondering if this is the issue with my wife's wagon and I just bought 2 brand new CPS's intake and exhaust a month or two ago and she got two pending codes today, P0365 and P0340, both of which were automatically wiped out when I went for a drive after work. Also had a few issues stalling lately. I KNOW THERE IS A BASTARD WIRE SOMEWHERE CAUSING THIS ISSUE!