E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #41
bigfatvr6prik

My Ride: Z8
Where did you find it? With -40 C I freaking need one baddddddddd...
bigfatvr6prik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #42
mc
I've got what plants crave.

My Ride: S.S. Inevitable
2nd'd. Where where where?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #43
bigfatvr6prik

So where did you get it?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #44
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
muah ha ha ha
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #45
Dreamliner330

Bema Auto Sport in Saskatoon
www.bmwsaskatoon.ca

607 Brand Court
Saskatoon, SK S7J 5L3, Canada
(306) 955-0900

Yep...I had to buy it from Canada...they are shipping it to me...with the shipping cost and everything it ended up at $120...not so bad. I just have to track down this thermal compound crap now.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #46
Glenn 328is

My Ride: 98 328is, 04 320i
They should sell it as well.

DAMN - I called Regina, but failed to call Sask.
Glenn 328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #47
Glenn 328is

Edmonton BMW has 10!! I just bought one. $99. They did not have the compound.

Bavaria BMW does have it. I bought it as well.

Looks like I have a project for this weekend.....
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #48
Glenn 328is

Apparently, the many back orders were finally filled this week.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #49
bigfatvr6prik

Ordered one. Thanks! U DA MAN! Much appreciated.

I just don't understand if this no longer available, how much Alberta and SK dealers can get it but QC and Ontario. Stupid BMW.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #50
bigfatvr6prik

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36-2.0 View Post
i called my dealer they said they have it
but it was sold out so i didnt pick up mine yet... im thining of holding off this year since the cold snap here is over and i would rather install on a nicer day. i just need to find this silicone past now for when i install.
Did anyone manage to find this "Silicone HEAT paste"? Any other alternatives?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #51
Glenn 328is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatvr6prik View Post
Did anyone manage to find this "Silicone HEAT paste"? Any other alternatives?

Call Bavaria - 780.484.0000. They have some.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #52
bigfatvr6prik

Thanks ... should have read your post carefully! Can't wait to install this puppy in -25 C outside It was freaking -32 C without the windchill today!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #53
Glenn 328is

We just emerged from cold like that. +5 here today. So, this weekend will be a nice change and I will have an easier time installing this thing.

Quote:
Thanks ... should have read your post carefully! Can't wait to install this puppy in -25 C outside It was freaking -32 C without the windchill today!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #54
Dreamliner330

Anybody know where to get THERMAL HEAT PASTE???????
Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #55
bigfatvr6prik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Anybody know where to get THERMAL HEAT PASTE???????
Something like this: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...9121&CatId=503 from your local computer shop should work I think?!?

I called crappy tire but they obviously had no clue what I was talking about. All this paste has to do is kinda be a super-heat-transfer-agent. And the computer manufacturers use the same thing between the cpu and heatsink to transfer the heat to the heat sink quickly.

Again this is just my theory and if I don't find something from local parts store I would just use this for now.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #56
Glenn 328is

I have your answer. I picked up the block heater and the compound this morning.

The compound is this: DOW CORNING 340 - Silicone Heat Sink Compound. You should be able to pick this up at any number of Dow Corning industrial supply stores.

This install of the block heater took me exactly 1 hour - from driving onto the ramps, to going back in the house. The only trouble-ish spot I had was reaching the top bolt, as it was close to a pipe and was on top of a metal plate that surrounds the oil pan. Other than that, from pushing the paste onto the block, to running the cord, was relatively easy.

bigfat... if you cannot find the compound - let me know and I can send you the remaining tube of mine. It is a 140g tube and I used about 1/3 or it. I am sure we can come to an arrangement.....
Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #57
bigfatvr6prik

Thanks Glen...I got the Arctic Sliver Thermal Compound from a local computer shop and used that. Its a heat transfer agent so it should work well with transfer of heat from the element to the engine block. Thanks for your offer though...if i was too impatient in installing it (after all i paid for saturday delivery for this damn block heater I would have taken up your offer.

Now on to the install, two things different in my install:

1) I have a metal cross member plate (part of the suspension) so it wasn't as easy as the original DIY but not that hard either. I think it can be done without removing the cross member, but i took it out anyway because my hands won't fit through the space that I had after removing the engine cover.

2) I routed my cabling above the bumper and just below where the hood/kidney grill meet so in the summer time I can take it off because one thing I know is it looks freaking ugly (ill post a pic when I get chance).

Any ideas on whats the wattage on these suckers? Is it ok to keep it plugged in all night without having a timer?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #58
Glenn 328is

I think I had that cross member plate. But, I did most of the work left handed.

I fit the plug down thru the headlight-adjustment-hole and tie-strapped it to the front grill of my bumper. Your 330 bumper is different than my 320 one. I too will feed the plug back in a hidden location in the summer time.

Wattage? No, I do not know. I have never kept my immersion heater in my 328 plugged in all night. I'd recommend a timer. Set it for 2 - 3 hours prior to starting and you should be fine.

We all did great work here. At least someone in the future can learn from our efforts.

Quote:
1) I have a metal cross member plate (part of the suspension) so it wasn't as easy as the original DIY but not that hard either. I think it can be done without removing the cross member, but i took it out anyway because my hands won't fit through the space that I had after removing the engine cover.

2) I routed my cabling above the bumper and just below where the hood/kidney grill meet so in the summer time I can take it off because one thing I know is it looks freaking ugly (ill post a pic when I get chance).

Any ideas on whats the wattage on these suckers? Is it ok to keep it plugged in all night without having a timer?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #59
mc
I've got what plants crave.

My Ride: S.S. Inevitable
Many thanks to all. This may be the most ballin'est shit evaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #60
bigfatvr6prik

UPDATE:

Here are the pics of my install location:

It was about -15 Cel this morning and I had the block heater plugged in all night. Started the car, hoping to see the temp needle move to the upper blue mark swiftly (around 1-2 minute idle) but did'nt happen. So I started driving towards my daily route to work since I had baseline on when I will see the temp needle to the middle (baseline being temp needle at the middle mark in about 2 km from home + after 1 minute of idle with an avg speed of 50km/hr).

And to my dismay I noticed that it still took me about the same amount of driving to heat the beast up and coolant to reach at the optimal operating temperature i.e. middle mark.

Came home and doubled checked the connection of the wiring that came with the kit to make sure its properly connected which it was.

So the million dollar question is what are you guys noticing?

Last edited by bigfatvr6prik; 01-18-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Tags
diy, heater