E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Black_Knight

My Ride: '02 330Ci
suspensiion rebuild

Ok, I recently purchased a '02 BMW 330Ci auto - european (i'm in europe, heh).
The car done a bit over 100k miles and the suspension is a bit tired plus i'm very sensitive to stuff as steering looseness.

So, the plan is to replace almost everything:

- all front and rear bushes including swaybar bushes... not sure about subframe bushes?
- front control arms
- tie rods
- springs
- shocks
- shock mounts
- the cheap part between the lower steering column and steering rack
- swaybars and links

after that if it proves loose i'd replace the steering rack.. definitely will replace the rack if i can find a quicker steering rack than OEM?

anyway, i need recommendations for some of the stuff i wish to upgrade and i need a recommendation where to get all this stuff at one place, i dont want to order from 5 separate shops.

so, front control arms i've seen those all metal ones mentioned all over - meyle, so i guess that should be my choice?

shocks and springs - i'd like to lower just a bit, an inch perhaps. i've seen you people mention sport and regular suspension, how do I know which is mine, i have a euro BMW and guessing it has a regular suspension. anyway, i'd even dish out for a coilover set but they all seem to lower a lot more than an inch even at minimum?

about the cheap part between the lower steering column and rack - this is some kind of a rubber thing - i'm not really sure about having rubber in my steering.. i can replace it with OEM but I'm really wondering what would it be like if i welded this thing somehow?

and swaybars to complement the springs/shocks

bushes i guess powerflex? which bushes does meyle install into their arms? something similar to powerflex? or more like oem?

are there any quick steering racks available for the e46 coupe?

please help me out, im new to BMWs, i read half the forum already looking for info as my car is promising but the tired suspension really makes it hard to enjoy
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Ok, I recently purchased a '02 BMW 330Ci auto - european (i'm in europe, heh).
The car done a bit over 100k miles and the suspension is a bit tired plus i'm very sensitive to stuff as steering looseness.

So, the plan is to replace almost everything:

- all front and rear bushes including swaybar bushes... not sure about subframe bushes?
- front control arms
- tie rods
- springs
- shocks
- shock mounts
- the cheap part between the lower steering column and steering rack
- swaybars and links

after that if it proves loose i'd replace the steering rack.. definitely will replace the rack if i can find a quicker steering rack than OEM?

anyway, i need recommendations for some of the stuff i wish to upgrade and i need a recommendation where to get all this stuff at one place, i dont want to order from 5 separate shops.

so, front control arms i've seen those all metal ones mentioned all over - meyle, so i guess that should be my choice?

shocks and springs - i'd like to lower just a bit, an inch perhaps. i've seen you people mention sport and regular suspension, how do I know which is mine, i have a euro BMW and guessing it has a regular suspension. anyway, i'd even dish out for a coilover set but they all seem to lower a lot more than an inch even at minimum?

about the cheap part between the lower steering column and rack - this is some kind of a rubber thing - i'm not really sure about having rubber in my steering.. i can replace it with OEM but I'm really wondering what would it be like if i welded this thing somehow?

and swaybars to complement the springs/shocks

bushes i guess powerflex? which bushes does meyle install into their arms? something similar to powerflex? or more like oem?

are there any quick steering racks available for the e46 coupe?

please help me out, im new to BMWs, i read half the forum already looking for info as my car is promising but the tired suspension really makes it hard to enjoy

Control Arms - go with Meyle HD or the M Sport. The M Sport do not have replaceable ball-joints (Meyle HD does).

Bushes (or bushings) - go with Meyle HD (which is like OEM but stronger), or go with Powerflex. I recommend Meyle HD, but others will recommend Powerflex. Listen to the feedback and decide.

Springs / Shocks - go with an H&R Sport Cup kit.

Sway Bars - go with H&R.

Steering Column rack parts - go with OEM.

Tie Rods - go with Lemfoerder or Meyle.

End Links - go with Lemfoerder, TRW, or Meyle.

"Quick Steering racks" - I have no experience in that department, but I would search for threads about the E36 Z3 steering rack.

Contact ruben@desertmotorworks.com, he'll take care of ya.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Black_Knight

Thanks! Will contact desertmotorworks then and see if he can make me an offer for everything i need
Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Thanks! Will contact desertmotorworks then and see if he can make me an offer for everything i need
Anytime bro.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
eek142

My Ride: E46
How are the tires? None of this will mean much if your tires are worn or crappy.
eek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
Black_Knight

first thing i bought were 225/255 18s eagle f1 asymetrico, still waiting on wheels to arrive, i ordered barracuda t6 voltec

how are the koni fsd? their marketing seems to imply very nice things? although i have noticed everyone praising the h&r cup kit too