E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
ErwinHG

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Amp wont turn on (BSW D110)

This is the first install I've ever done so I need help. I hooked everything up and cant get the amp to power on. The guide says that this means the "fuse wasn’t installed inline on the red 10 gauge power wire at the battery. This is very often overlooked. Pop in the fuse, and you’ll be good to go."

Okay, is this the fuse? http://installcaraudiosystems.com/wp...fuseholder.jpg

That clear plastic cylinder thing? Cause the power cord going to the positive terminal has one already so what is their to pop in?
ErwinHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
ErwinHG

well it turns out the fuse is in so why wont it power on?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
jinxie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
are you certain the fuse is in the fuse holder? there's only 3 things required to turn an amp on... a 12v+ connection, a -ground connection, and the remote turn on lead which is probably 12v too. where do you have the ground going to? if you have it grounded to a piece of metal in your car, hopefully connected to the chassis somewhere... make sure it's bare metal and not a painted surface. make sure you have the remote turn-on lead hooked up to the remote lead from your HU and not something else.. are you tapping into the wiring harness going into your factory amp?
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
jinxie

check to see if the fuse is blown. is that an actual picture of your fuse holder? what's that lil red wire coming from the b+ terminal going to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinHG View Post
This is the first install I've ever done so I need help. I hooked everything up and cant get the amp to power on. The guide says that this means the "fuse wasn’t installed inline on the red 10 gauge power wire at the battery. This is very often overlooked. Pop in the fuse, and you’ll be good to go."

Okay, is this the fuse? http://installcaraudiosystems.com/wp...fuseholder.jpg

That clear plastic cylinder thing? Cause the power cord going to the positive terminal has one already so what is their to pop in?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
ErwinHG

No thats not an actual picture of my setup.
Yes I am tapping into the stock wiring harness and I'm pretty sure the connections are correct.

The fuse is in the fuse holder and it does not appear to be blown.

The amp is being grounded to the stock grounding location just as is says to do in the BSW instructions.

By the way, I just noticed something looks wrong with the fuse inside the inline fuse holder. The metal piece inside the glass case is sitting at an angle. It's not burnt or anything but since it is not sitting properly does that mean it is blown or defective?

Last edited by ErwinHG; 11-01-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
jinxie

you may want to ask a bsw rep since there are a few on here
it could perhaps be bent and not making contact correctly. (refering to the angle you saw in the fuse holder)

here are a few things i would try:

*if you have a fuse holder like the one in the picture, you should be able to open it, remove the fuse, and on the side that is at an angle.. push the cable through the fuse holder so that it's sticking out a bit and see if you can bend it straight, then reassemble it like it was then see if that worked. be careful that you don't drop the fuse and lose it*

if that doesn't work:
*with the volume low so that it won't pound and draw a lot of current if it comes on... bypass the fuse holder in the b+ cable and connect to the battery. the goal is just to get the amp to turn on at this point. if it lights up, then your fuse holder is the likely problem. * i'm pretty sure that it won't cause any damage if you hook it up for a sec without the fuse in case you were wondering, as long as it's not drawing max current or something, which is why i say keep the volume low or off, since we just need to make sure it'll turn on.)*

still no luck? then check your remote turn on lead:
if you have an extra piece of wire and steady hands, you can connect the b+ coming from your battery to the remote 12+ terminal on your amp... you can use a lil bit of wire and just do it from the amp, just make sure you don't hit the ground *note that this will turn your amo on without the car being on sine it's not a switched power source. but we just want to make sure the amp works

does you amp itself have any fuses on it? if so check those out.
u can try this too to make sure the amp will turn on...

still no luck?
maybe fedex dropped it when it was shipped?
i used to work for fedex back in the day, and they have a hell of a lot of items that fall of the conveyor belt , atleast at the one i worked at

Quote:
No thats not an actual picture of my setup.
Yes I am tapping into the stock wiring harness and I'm pretty sure the connections are correct.

The fuse is in the fuse holder and it does not appear to be blown.

The amp is being grounded to the stock grounding location just as is says to do in the BSW instructions.

By the way, I just noticed something looks wrong with the fuse inside the inline fuse holder. The metal piece inside the glass case is sitting at an angle. It's not burnt or anything but since it is not sitting properly does that mean it is blown or defective?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
ErwinHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
you may want to ask a bsw rep since there are a few on here
it could perhaps be bent and not making contact correctly. (refering to the angle you saw in the fuse holder)

here are a few things i would try:

*if you have a fuse holder like the one in the picture, you should be able to open it, remove the fuse, and on the side that is at an angle.. push the cable through the fuse holder so that it's sticking out a bit and see if you can bend it straight, then reassemble it like it was then see if that worked. be careful that you don't drop the fuse and lose it*

if that doesn't work:
*with the volume low so that it won't pound and draw a lot of current if it comes on... bypass the fuse holder in the b+ cable and connect to the battery. the goal is just to get the amp to turn on at this point. if it lights up, then your fuse holder is the likely problem. * i'm pretty sure that it won't cause any damage if you hook it up for a sec without the fuse in case you were wondering, as long as it's not drawing max current or something, which is why i say keep the volume low or off, since we just need to make sure it'll turn on.)*

still no luck? then check your remote turn on lead:
if you have an extra piece of wire and steady hands, you can connect the b+ coming from your battery to the remote 12+ terminal on your amp... you can use a lil bit of wire and just do it from the amp, just make sure you don't hit the ground *note that this will turn your amo on without the car being on sine it's not a switched power source. but we just want to make sure the amp works

does you amp itself have any fuses on it? if so check those out.
u can try this too to make sure the amp will turn on...

still no luck?
maybe fedex dropped it when it was shipped?
i used to work for fedex back in the day, and they have a hell of a lot of items that fall of the conveyor belt , atleast at the one i worked at
Well it's actually the metal piece inside the fuse itself that is sitting at an angle so there is no way I can get to it unless the fuse(not the holder)can open up. I might have to buy a new fuse to test it out.

I'm kinda reluctant to try your other suggestions even though it would likely identify the problem because I'm still paranoid about damaging something. I guess I'll just give BSW a call on Monday since they are off on weekends.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
jinxie

LOL

you can go buy a new fuse now and go try it. it probably would only be a few bucks
Old 11-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
ErwinHG

Well I went to the part store and the fuse checked out ok so it must be something with the remote turn on wire. BSW forgot to include butt connectors so I used some red ones I had in the garage. They were a pain and I had to redo the remote wire twice and the first time I had to cut about a quarter inch off. If I have to redo it how can I remove the butt connector without cutting anymore wire?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
jinxie

hmm, maybe you can try and find one of the bsw sponsors on here and have them take a look. not sure if the HK system has the same wires going to it as the non-HK but was your remote wire you tapped into white?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
ErwinHG

yep, you can see it in the picture, its the blue paired with the white.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
jinxie

Quote:
yep, you can see it in the picture, its the blue paired with the white.
blue?
on mine the white was the remote turn-on lead
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
ErwinHG

No, the remote turn on is white on mine aswell, the blue is the wire that came with the amp. The white wire is connected to the blue with a butt connector.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Erwin.

What number can my install tech reach you at?

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #16
ErwinHG

I've already contacted Jason at BSW on Monday. He had me do some test and it turns out the amp is the issue so he had me send in the amp and harness for inspection. Hopefully it will be resolved by the end of the week. Kinda disappointing but it made me realize how good the stage 1 kit sounds without those crappy hk subs. Now I dont get any rattles and it sounds awesome. I can't imagine what it will sound like if I when I get the d110 working.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Ahhh awesome.

We randomly have issues Unfortunately with electronics sometimes little gremlins pop up!

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote