E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements

Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements
Get the latest news and announcements from the site sponsors! To ask a question please use the 'Ask a Sponsor' forum.
Click here to view all the site sponsors and see what they are offering!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #21
TopasBlau46

My Ride: 2001 E46 325ci ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
pre 2002 radios have the double-press issue, it's a result of the radio, not the DICE. The "static" you are hearing - is it related to button presses?
That's not cool .. if I upgrade to a 2002+ radio I'll be fine then? good to know, the static I think is caused from interaction with the engine or other electronics?
Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #22
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopasBlau46 View Post
That's not cool .. if I upgrade to a 2002+ radio I'll be fine then? good to know, the static I think is caused from interaction with the engine or other electronics?
a 2002+ radio will eliminate the double pressing. As for your static, comparing will a BMW CD Changer (in the same vehicle) will see if its DICE related or not.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #23
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
If your CD player on the radio is not working (getting the CD ERROR message), would the DICE still be able to work?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #24
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
If your CD player on the radio is not working (getting the CD ERROR message), would the DICE still be able to work?
CD ERROR would mean the changer is jammed/failing. The DICE would work in this case.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #25
prican_2000

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via Yahoo to prican_2000
I have an older version of the Dice and I am not sure which one it is probably about 2 years old. I am having problems with the Dice not shutting the iPod down after shutting the car off and with the Dice not wanting to comply with the OEM system. At this point we have to unplug the Dice box to reset it and then it works again but sometimes you have to do this a couple times a week which has proven to be a real PITA.

Does this Silverline take care of the older Dice shortfalls? New and improved and worked out all the bugs?
Would I have to unistall all the wiring from the old Dice for the new one or is the cable that is running from the back of the radio (power/interface with Radio) compatible with the Silverline?

Ohh and in case it matters I have a 00 323i and a 30gb and 80gb iPod Videos.

Shark Injected, Dinan CAI, H&R Cup Kit, M5 Reps (Staggered), HID's

AFTER 177k+ RELIABLE MILES, ^E46 TRADED IN FOR AN E90 :) - THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP E46FANATICS
prican_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #26
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by prican_2000 View Post
I have an older version of the Dice and I am not sure which one it is probably about 2 years old. I am having problems with the Dice not shutting the iPod down after shutting the car off and with the Dice not wanting to comply with the OEM system. At this point we have to unplug the Dice box to reset it and then it works again but sometimes you have to do this a couple times a week which has proven to be a real PITA.

Does this Silverline take care of the older Dice shortfalls? New and improved and worked out all the bugs?
Would I have to unistall all the wiring from the old Dice for the new one or is the cable that is running from the back of the radio (power/interface with Radio) compatible with the Silverline?

Ohh and in case it matters I have a 00 323i and a 30gb and 80gb iPod Videos.
there's a number of upgrades from the older DICE modules to the new SILVERLINEs. The main enhanced features would be the following:

Browse by Artist with full Artist Directory listings
Browse by Album with full Album Directory listings
Browse by Playlist with full Playlist Directory listings
ID3 text display, showing Artist, Song title and Album while the song is in play.
USB Compliant charging (supports currently lineup of iPods/3G iPhone)

The harness you have is compatible, you would need only the module and docking cable, which we do offer separately.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #27
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Tom, I already placed an order from you but one more question: I settled on the radio interface and have OEM Sirius radio installed. Will this affect the operation of my Sirius radio, specifically am I going to lose my sirius (just like the CD changer)?
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #28
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Tom, I already placed an order from you but one more question: I settled on the radio interface and have OEM Sirius radio installed. Will this affect the operation of my Sirius radio, specifically am I going to lose my sirius (just like the CD changer)?
Just got you covered by email - you will need a new harness.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #29
cuz.iknim

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via AIM to cuz.iknim Send a message via MSN to cuz.iknim
YES
DICE INSTALLED!!!

SO Far it seems goood..

except few things...........

it responds very slow.. take about one second to respond after hitting buttons..........

and text are not scrolling......... so if the name of the song is 'again and again' it would show up as "again and ag" I thought text would scroll....

And... DICE Module is too big to be under the cupholder.
where do u guys put them? I have Eurotray and want my iphone to be in my Euro Tray..

So Let me know.

Thanks!

cuz.iknim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #30
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz.iknim View Post
YES
DICE INSTALLED!!!

SO Far it seems goood..

except few things...........

it responds very slow.. take about one second to respond after hitting buttons..........

and text are not scrolling......... so if the name of the song is 'again and again' it would show up as "again and ag" I thought text would scroll....

And... DICE Module is too big to be under the cupholder.
where do u guys put them? I have Eurotray and want my iphone to be in my Euro Tray..

So Let me know.

Thanks!
Make sure all the DIP switches are in the UP positions.

I usually tuck the modules underneath the center console and carpet under the cointray - it's a tight fit, but works every time.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #31
cuz.iknim

Quote:
Make sure all the DIP switches are in the UP positions.

I usually tuck the modules underneath the center console and carpet under the cointray - it's a tight fit, but works every time.

All the switchs are up........

And yeah it is in there but it was way too tight and I thought it might stress the wires....

But still text is not showing up correctly......................: ( : (

Old 12-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #32
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
All the switchs are up........

And yeah it is in there but it was way too tight and I thought it might stress the wires....

But still text is not showing up correctly......................: ( : (
Was your battery disconnected during installation? This is critical to proper operation.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #33
cuz.iknim

oh! I didn't know I had to disconnect the battery......
okay I will unplug the module and disconnect battery,,,,and then connect module then connect the battery......and see how it goes...

I will let u know!

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #34
cuz.iknim

Quote:
Was your battery disconnected during installation? This is critical to proper operation.

okay,,
I disconnected battery.. and did everything all over again.. but it's same as before...

Text doesn't scroll..

well, be exact, if I unplug dice and then plug it back scrolling works (all of the text shows up as it scrolls) for few times... And If I give some interval between trying,,(20mins) it would not work..(it would not scroll but only show the first few words)

Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #35
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
okay,,
I disconnected battery.. and did everything all over again.. but it's same as before...

Text doesn't scroll..

well, be exact, if I unplug dice and then plug it back scrolling works (all of the text shows up as it scrolls) for few times... And If I give some interval between trying,,(20mins) it would not work..(it would not scroll but only show the first few words)
Give me a call while at your BMW and we'll run down some troubleshooting steps.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #36
cuz.iknim

Quote:
Give me a call while at your BMW and we'll run down some troubleshooting steps.

Sounds goood
Numbers please?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #37
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Sounds goood
Numbers please?
Contact info is in my signature.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #38
swingline

My Ride: '99 E46 sedan
Quote:
there's a number of upgrades from the older DICE modules to the new SILVERLINEs. The main enhanced features would be the following:

Browse by Artist with full Artist Directory listings
Browse by Album with full Album Directory listings
Browse by Playlist with full Playlist Directory listings
ID3 text display, showing Artist, Song title and Album while the song is in play.
USB Compliant charging (supports currently lineup of iPods/3G iPhone)

The harness you have is compatible, you would need only the module and docking cable, which we do offer separately.
Hi Tom,

I too have an older DICE unit, it must be 2-3 years old. It was a replacement for an even older iceLink. I don't recall the name silverline being used when I bought it. When was the silverline name introduced and is their any difference between my unit and the pre-usb-charging "silverline" units (e.g. a silverline from 2 months ago)? My unit can do everything in your list above (browse artist, album, playlist; display text) except USB charging, so I'm not sure what "older DICE modules" you're referring to.

I now have an iphone and would like to upgrade the DICE to USB charging. Do I need to replace the entire unit or can I just get a usb charging cable? Are the stand-alone cables available yet? I have the trunk harness installed in a '99 BMW 328i w/ Bus. CD/ HK. Also I still have the old Dension iceLink cradle attached to this unit. I guess I need a new cradle as well to connect to the cable? Are the cradles adjustable to hold both an ipod and an iphone?

Finally, my trusty old 60gb ipod photo recently died. The ability to use the ipod itself is a deal-breaker for me; do you know what was the last model of ipod that would not lock up with the "accessory attached" splash screen?

Thanks

Last edited by swingline; 12-27-2008 at 03:03 PM.
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #39
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
Hi Tom,

I too have an older DICE unit, it must be 2-3 years old. It was a replacement for an even older iceLink. I don't recall the name silverline being used when I bought it. When was the silverline name introduced and is their any difference between my unit and the pre-usb-charging "silverline" units (e.g. a silverline from 2 months ago)? My unit can do everything in your list above (browse artist, album, playlist; display text) except USB charging, so I'm not sure what "older DICE modules" you're referring to.

I now have an iphone and would like to upgrade the DICE to USB charging. Do I need to replace the entire unit or can I just get a usb charging cable? Are the stand-alone cables available yet? I have the trunk harness installed in a '99 BMW 328i w/ Bus. CD/ HK. Also I still have the old Dension iceLink cradle attached to this unit. I guess I need a new cradle as well to connect to the cable? Are the cradles adjustable to hold both an ipod and an iphone?

Finally, my trusty old 60gb ipod photo recently died. The ability to use the ipod itself is a deal-breaker for me; do you know what was the last model of ipod that would not lock up with the "accessory attached" splash screen?

Thanks
The ILP cradles were designed about 4 years ago - well before the iPhone hit the shelves. Here's the docking cable you need:

DICE iPod Dock Connector Cable w/ USB Charging
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=232

These are in stock and shipping immediately.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #40
tom @ eas
european auto source

For those of you that have purchased SILVERLINE kits before 12/2008, we have already started shipping the USB-compliant cables to support current model iPods/iPhones/touch models.

DICE iPod Dock Connector Cable w/ USB Charging
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=232

For those that have purchased Dec 08+, there is no need for for the new cable as we have already been incorporating these into the kits.

These allow pre-11/08 SILVERLINE units with full charging capabilities on the current iPod models, including touch and iPhone.