E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
williebeamer02

My Ride: 2002 315i
Exclamation ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT??? Burning smell - coolant low - any suggestions???

A few days ago my coolant sensor light came on. The car was running just fine. I drove home (10 minutes) and the car was parked in the garage over the weekend. (Nothing appeared to be wrong at all)

A few days later I checked the coolant level and it was pretty low so I topped it off with the bmw brand coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water. (It only needed about 32 ounces until the guage popped up)

The coolant level is fine now, the light isnt on but when I start the car it sort of stalls/shakes, and there is a wierd burning smell.

I am not sure if there is a leak, if i blew a head gasket, if something cracked, or if it is something else. I am due for a coolant flush but I am not sure if that has anything to do with this?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so...please share!

Possible SOLUTIONS to this problem are welcome as well!!!
williebeamer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Blown head gasket will pour smoke out of the tailpipe. If you can get it running give it a little rev and watch the exhaust. Did your temp hit the red? Check the oil on your dipstick for anything weird looking.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
^ not always true...u can have a blown headgasket without having smoke out the tail pipe.

you need to have your cooling system pressure tested asap. scan the car for any codes, pull the dipstick and see if it looks milky
Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

I'm having the same problem with my E45 323i, I took it into my friends Indy shop and he put it on a lift for me and we determined the thermostat housing and the water pump seal are both leaking. I was hoping it was just a bubble in the system but at this weekends club DIY I'll be changing out the Water pump and the thermostat. There's coolant discoloration all around the water pump and the thermostat housing. I last changed my water pump and thermostat at 210,000 miles, I'm now at 275,000 miles. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring.
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
330ciandr6

damn thats alot of freaking miles lol
Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
williebeamer02

I am not sure if I should continue trying to run it and see if smoke comes out of the tailpipe because each time i turn it on it begins to shake like it may die and produces a weird burning like smell. No smoke anywhere from what I can see...maybe i am not running it long enough. Thinking about getting a compression test done...not really sure what to do though. I hope its not a blown head gasket...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
330ciandr6

a compression test could work. i would recommend getting it pressure tested to see where the coolant is going.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
williebeamer02

You wouldnt happen to know where I can buy a DIY test like this or is it just best to leave it to a mechanic that knows what he is doing
Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
williebeamer02

Just pulled the dipstick and it looked fine. Then started then engine and gave it some gas and a little bit of white smoke came out of the tailpipe but the car temperature stayed cold. I probably ran the car for about 5 minutes or so. Any ideas?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Have you fixed her up yet? The coolant could be a coincidence. Maybe a vac leak? That could cause the shaking/stalling. Stalling could also be a cam sensor...

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
williebeamer02

She seems to be running fine, had to bleed the system (loosen the radiator screw) and it has been all good since
Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #12
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Keep a VERY close watch on temp guage, coolant level, oil level and for mayonnaise deposits under the oil filler cap.
Sounds like it could be the beginning of a head gasket problem to me.

Last edited by tony325ci_51; 12-24-2008 at 02:08 AM.
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, coolant, coolant temp sensor, engine overheating, head gasket