E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
bigfatvr6prik

My Ride: Z8
Adaptive Xenon Retrofit to a Facelift Coupe!

Hello All:

For past few months I have been thinking of doing retrofit of Adaptive Xenon on a 2004 330 Coupe. From my reading so far, the 2004 330CI came with Auto Leveling Bi-Xenon's but Canadian models had a $400 option for adding "Adaptive" i.e. xenon lights slightly turning based on steering sensor inputs up to 15 deg's.

I searched around found one member who has done it but can't find any posts on it.

Here is a conceptual diagram showing how it is supposed to work:

A fellow fanatic has a set of Adaptive BiXenon's for coupe that has part # 17 seen in the pic below aka "Electronics Box ALC Uncoded" included.

Link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=63&fg=05

I also noticed Part # 12(Control Unit, Adaptive Head Light) in the following pic, on realoem:

Link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&fg=25&hl=53).

My questions are:
  1. If this is all that's required to retrofit Adaptive Xenon's on a facelift coupe? If so, where does the Control Unit for Adaptive Head Light reside or needs to be installed?
  2. What input and outputs do come of this control unit? Realoem pic only shows one connection point for part # 12 in above pic!?!

If anyone has done this out there, it would great to get some suggestions/guidance.

Thanks as always.
bigfatvr6prik is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
bigfatvr6prik

Does anyone know if or can check if TIS shows how to install the Control Unit?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
bigfatvr6prik

Anyone?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
you need the sensor so that the computer can tell how much the steering wheel moves so that it can be inputted in the computer and sends the info out the the motors that are in the headlight.

i don't think anyone has done it. you need to buy whole new headlight units and not many are willing to fork over that much money for adaptives.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
bigfatvr6prik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
you need the sensor so that the computer can tell how much the steering wheel moves so that it can be inputted in the computer and sends the info out the the motors that are in the headlight.

i don't think anyone has done it. you need to buy whole new headlight units and not many are willing to fork over that much money for adaptives.
Thought all e46's 04 up had steering wheel sensor?! Any way to tell if one would have this sensor or not?

I can get the adaptive lights for a good price as well as the control unit. Just not sure how/where to connect them. BMW won't show me the schematics...why I don't know.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
^ agreed, you'll be needing a lot more. Wiring harness, coding of sensors and probably the new headlamp housings. It's not likely to be just those two control units. Although the headlamps move up/down to adjust horizontal cut-off, there is no motor to turn the lamps right/left. So you'll be needing that which probably ony works in the whole headlamp housing. But please continue what you find. I'd love to retrofit those in my car. Which reminds me, did the M3 ever have that option? Reason I ask is I don't know if any pre-facelift got that option. If none did then there is even more of a challenge.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatvr6prik View Post
Thought all e46's 04 up had steering wheel sensor?! Any way to tell if one would have this sensor or not?

I can get the adaptive lights for a good price as well as the control unit. Just not sure how/where to connect them. BMW won't show me the schematics...why I don't know.
i don't think so. it's only offered on facelifted coupes with xenons. no clue on how to check, if it's already there, then you just have to buy the headlights and those parts you mentioned and try it.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

Quote:

Pretty sure all E46s have a steering wheel sensor. It's for the DSC, but not sure if the exact one you need is the same one.

Have you looked in the Bentley manual for your year? Or the TIS? It should have some schematics for atleast the wiring. Probably not as largely detailed as you want, but wiring is always a major section of that manual.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
^ agreed, you'll be needing a lot more. Wiring harness, coding of sensors and probably the new headlamp housings. It's not likely to be just those two control units. Although the headlamps move up/down to adjust horizontal cut-off, there is no motor to turn the lamps right/left. So you'll be needing that which probably ony works in the whole headlamp housing. But please continue what you find. I'd love to retrofit those in my car. Which reminds me, did the M3 ever have that option? Reason I ask is I don't know if any pre-facelift got that option. If none did then there is even more of a challenge.
nope m3's never got that option. it will be quite a challenge. just taking out the projector for the facelifted coupe headlights was a challenge for me. if you were to try to retrofit the whole thing in, there would be a lot of changes to be done to the headlight as i don't see how you can use the same internals from the old headlight

Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
bigfatvr6prik

Quote:
Pretty sure all E46s have a steering wheel sensor. It's for the DSC, but not sure if the exact one you need is the same one.

Have you looked in the Bentley manual for your year? Or the TIS? It should have some schematics for atleast the wiring. Probably not as largely detailed as you want, but wiring is always a major section of that manual.
I have'nt checked the Bentley or TIS as I seemed to misplaced my CD's. I have an older version of TIS with me but that does'nt have any info on it since its pre 2004.

As I stated in my post, I can source the OEM Adaptive/Dynamic headlights which have the motor to move the housing left/right and the Control Unit (part #'s I posted in my first post).

I am hoping its just a matter of connecting them together.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
sillieidiot

i don't think bentley manual will help you. as there is no mention of the facelifted coupe anywhere in the damn manual lol. it's good for everything else though

Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

Quote:
nope m3's never got that option. it will be quite a challenge. just taking out the projector for the facelifted coupe headlights was a challenge for me. if you were to try to retrofit the whole thing in, there would be a lot of changes to be done to the headlight as i don't see how you can use the same internals from the old headlight
i was pretty much thinking the same thing. way too much work involved for something thatmight not work properly and then you are out the destroyed originals. i'll let someone else do the homework on this one. lol
Old 11-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
bigfatvr6prik

Called the dealer...funny how i asked them if this could be done and they played "stupid" with me. Now I called back asking for labor for installing the control unit for adaptive headlight I mentioned in my original post and they said 3 hours labor and the control unit is behind the bumper.

I will take the bumper and take a look, hopefully tonite, and more importantly hopefully find the darn thing.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
sillieidiot

Quote:
i was pretty much thinking the same thing. way too much work involved for something thatmight not work properly and then you are out the destroyed originals. i'll let someone else do the homework on this one. lol
lol once OP figures this out. it should be the same across all the e46s. then all you need is to retrofit them into your headlights.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
sillieidiot

Quote:
Called the dealer...funny how i asked them if this could be done and they played "stupid" with me. Now I called back asking for labor for installing the control unit for adaptive headlight I mentioned in my original post and they said 3 hours labor and the control unit is behind the bumper.

I will take the bumper and take a look, hopefully tonite, and more importantly hopefully find the darn thing.
i don't remember seeing anything like that behind my bumper. maybe they got confused between which control unit you are talking about? as each headlight has it's own control unit as well.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I have'nt checked the Bentley or TIS as I seemed to misplaced my CD's. I have an older version of TIS with me but that does'nt have any info on it since its pre 2004.

As I stated in my post, I can source the OEM Adaptive/Dynamic headlights which have the motor to move the housing left/right and the Control Unit (part #'s I posted in my first post).

I am hoping its just a matter of connecting them together.
well if the car is almost all prewired for it, then it might be a lot easier. but likely there are no extra wiring harness' there, so you'd need the looms. if the Bentley manual has the wiring diagrams then it might give you more an idea what plugs where and to which wires and fusebox locations.

Quote:
i don't think bentley manual will help you. as there is no mention of the facelifted coupe anywhere in the damn manual lol. it's good for everything else though
Interesting, no facelifted info. I wonder if there was a later edition that showed more details.
The pictures of replacing those exact parts might be listed, but the wiring diagrams in the back of the Bentley shows almost all configuarations. It's just finding what they call the part and hunting it down in there is the real biatch..lol.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
sillieidiot

Quote:
well if the car is almost all prewired for it, then it might be a lot easier. but likely there are no extra wiring harness' there, so you'd need the looms. if the Bentley manual has the wiring diagrams then it might give you more an idea what plugs where and to which wires and fusebox locations.

Interesting, no facelifted info. I wonder if there was a later edition that showed more details.
The pictures of replacing those exact parts might be listed, but the wiring diagrams in the back of the Bentley shows almost all configuarations. It's just finding what they call the part and hunting it down in there is the real biatch..lol.
i hope there is a new edition of those info, i would love to cop that. the one i have lists the bixenon headlight assembly as adaptive. and it shows the leveling units and such.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
Alex323Ci

Quote:
lol once OP figures this out. it should be the same across all the e46s. then all you need is to retrofit them into your headlights.
possibly..
but not if the facelifts have something the pre-face don't. like a wiring harness and coding of specific sensors.not to mention the headlamp housing may not make itself condusive to attaching the side motor to the ellipsoid.
it's not like one can add the adaptive Brake Force Display of the OEM LED tails that laters have. this may or may not be as simple as one thinks. thus the reason bmw didn't offer it on the most expensive E46s..the M3. which btw was made longer/later than the others. one would think the premier bmw engineered E46 would get this offered if it's that simple as a few modules and refitted elliposoid motor.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
sillieidiot

Quote:
possibly..
but not if the facelifts have something the pre-face don't. like a wiring harness and coding of specific sensors.not to mention the headlamp housing may not make itself condusive to attaching the side motor to the ellipsoid.
it's not like one can add the adaptive Brake Force Display of the OEM LED tails that laters have. this may or may not be as simple as one thinks. thus the reason bmw didn't offer it on the most expensive E46s..the M3. which btw was made longer/later than the others. one would think the premier bmw engineered E46 would get this offered if it's that simple as a few modules and refitted elliposoid motor.
that is true, but it seems the the facelifted coupe was the test mule for the next gen bmws. the one piece headlight design, then the adaptive, led tails (even though they gave it to the m3), and probably a couple of other things that weren't as noticeable. i don't think they would change the car that much for a car that was only offered for 2 years.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #20
bigfatvr6prik

Got some lights, just to play around though, but ran into a problem. I posted it seperately here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=626232 Any ideas? This is really putting a damper on my plans