E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #21
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatvr6prik View Post
Called the dealer...funny how i asked them if this could be done and they played "stupid" with me. Now I called back asking for labor for installing the control unit for adaptive headlight I mentioned in my original post and they said 3 hours labor and the control unit is behind the bumper.

I will take the bumper and take a look, hopefully tonite, and more importantly hopefully find the darn thing.
probably because they'd never heard of retrofitting the adaptive system into a car it didn't come with. Once You started speaking their language and asking about labor times for specific operations, they were able to give You more of an answer
Old 11-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #22
bigfatvr6prik

My Ride: Z8
So finally I got the control unit but can't locate where its supposed to go. I took the front bumper out could'nt really figure out where its supposed to go as well.

Does anyone here who has Dynamic xenon's mind checking where they have their control unit module mounted?

Thanks.
bigfatvr6prik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #23
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
which control unit are you talking about? there are 2 that go under the headlight in which you have to take out the headlights and flip it over

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #24
bigfatvr6prik

Yes there is that control unit but there is additional one that is listed as #12 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...23&hg=61&fg=25.

One you are talking about are connected on the headlights right now. Just this one i cant figure out.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #25
sillieidiot

hmm i can't figure out where that goes either. looks kind of like the LCM but not really.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #26
bigfatvr6prik

If you have TIS cd, can you check where it might go? I am so pissed...took my bumper off for no reason Stupid stealers can't give any info accurately.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #27
bigfatvr6prik

Anyone?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #28
CTD

My Ride: 03 330Cd 6spd
You should really do the adaptive headlights feature! It's amazing!

2000 E39 525Tds (sold)
2003 E46 330Cd
CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #29
sillieidiot

lol that is what he's trying to do and what this thread is about.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #30
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatvr6prik View Post
If you have TIS cd, can you check where it might go? I am so pissed...took my bumper off for no reason Stupid stealers can't give any info accurately.
nah i lost that **** somewhere when i was moving stuff around my room. see if you can dl it off torrents or something.

also, i think you will need the LCM too, if you don't already have that.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #31
bigfatvr6prik

I have the LCM for Adaptive Xenon. Hopefully that will be the same for "DYNAMIC ADAPTIVE XENON". Remember that this car came with "ADAPTIVE BIXENON" option i.e. Auto levelling bixenon's.

Today I went to the dealer and talked to the guy who does all the electronics/programming stuff and he said he can't find out where the F&*k this module goes. He gave me a pointer to look behind the glove box to see if its there or not.

So thats something I'll have to do. But at least he was more than willing to help me and upfront that he is not sure how to do it. When I bluff'd him about US dealers able to do the Dynamic Xenon programming, he told me to find out how they do it and he will be more than happy to do it for me for total cost of 1 hour labor and at the same time he can program anything else I want to program. So all in all not a bad deal...but heck if a qualified tech who is willing to find out how to do what I am trying to do can't figure this out...how in the f&*king earth i can .

Can any of you guys check with your dealers (in case you have good relations with them)?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #32
sillieidiot

yea there's a difference. there is one just for autoleveling and there is one with autoleveling and adaptive

adaptive bixenon is just what they call bixenon lol

Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
sillieidiot

oh the dealers here suck lol. plus no one's ever tried this before so i'm not sure how it works. as for the glove box, i've had mines apart before and i don't remember seeing anything but the fuses and relays. i think that box should be under the driver's side panel.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #34
bigfatvr6prik

Guess this fkin thing just got more complicated....new LCM is gonna cost me my third leg i think....can't even find it @ realoem. If i try the same keyword search "light check control module", it finds it.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #35
sillieidiot

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...60&hg=61&fg=35

it's under switches

Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #36
bigfatvr6prik

309$ at Tischer...its getting expensive...probably **** loads more to flash lcm and programming.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #37
sillieidiot

your tech should be able to do all the programming at the same time. now it'll actually take one full labor hour lol

Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #38
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
You will need a new LCm. Tell you tech to go into SSS and go under retrofit and them adaptive headlights the computer will do the rest. If that does not work he can set his SSS to another country and trick it to work. If all else fails PM me with your SA code and then i can tell you what sa code to add to your VO to make it work

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #39
bigfatvr6prik

Thanks Seth! I was kinda hoping you will see this and respond back...because I think you are the only resource I know on the forums for GT1/SSS! Just like Sillie is for e46 lighting.

In first post I mentioned that I have the Dynamic Xenon's with part # 17 (ELECTRONICS BOX ALC UNCODED) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/e/y/206.png

Link to realoem: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=63&fg=05

My question is that do you happen to know if I even need the part # 12 (CONTROL UNIT, ADAPTIVE HEAD LIGHT), here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&fg=25&hl=53 ?

Perhaps instead all I need is the headlight with part # 17 as I mentioned PLUS new LCM?

Also, originally I had auto leveling bixenon's, and now with these Adaptive aka dynamic bixenon's I don't see the auto leveling happening when i turn the car on. Could this be all related to programming?

Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #40
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Yea been takeing a break from the forums but I am back now. Well it appears you need 12 plus a new LCM. Only the LCM has to be new. 12 can be used and then programed to the car. Depending or hardware your LCM may be ok. No way to know untill programing is tried.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote