E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
gazza57

My Ride: 2000 328i
Secondary Air Pump Relay

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site so apologies if I'm putting messages in the wrong place. Anyway I've got a 2000 328i. and am hoping someone may be able to help me out of what it looks like I've done to my car.

My Service Engine Soon Light came on. Dianostic tool said it was Secondary Air Pump. Took the pump off and it had failed. Replaced the pump and while I was at it did the one way valve as well, but the new pump was not working after I installed it.
I took it back out of the car and checked it with 12v and it works fine.

I checked for voltage at Seconary air pump electrical connector and no voltage. So figured relay had gone. Here's where it really starts to go wrong.
I bought an aftermarket 5 pin relay, put it in and car, but still no voltage at the pump connector, but now car will will not start at all.

Checking closely (too late) I see that the numbers 30 & 86 on the relay are reversed from the original BMW salmon coloured relay. I don't know 100% for sure that this has caused the problem, but since it's the only thing I did I guess it must have done big time.

Engine still turns over but no hint of firing up.

Code reader now has the following codes :
F5 F6 & 23 : Secondary Air Issues (Expected, same as before)

New codes are :
45 Electrical Fuel Pump Relay
4A A/C Compressor Relay
7E LDP Solenoid Valve
76 Motorized Throttle Valve MDK Feedback plausibility

I checked the Fuel Pump Relay, whch does not appear to have failed. I swapped over the Horn & Fuel Pump Relay's. Horn worked before swapping and works with what was the Fuel pump relay.

Have I totally fried the car? Anyone know what to do??? Appreciate any help. Thanks
gazza57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
mechanic_101

My Ride: 2005 325I
sorry to hear this mate. First, get the correct secondary pump relay in to see if the car starts.
mechanic_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
gazza57

Mechanic 101 , thanks for the reply. I will get the proper relay and put it in. The car was running fine without it though, that is before I put the wrong one in.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
mechanic_101

the secondary air system is strictly for emmissions and it is only ON few seconds on cold starts. However, its circuit could share with other components. Just put the correct relay in there and see if your car starts.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #5
GermnBlt

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to GermnBlt
what relay is it? I found the fuse, but not the relay

Photobucket
GermnBlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
gazza57

Bought the genuine BMW Secondary Air Pump relay and put it in, but the car still will not start.

I am getting the same fault codes as before. Since the first one is the Fuel Pump Relay - and the symptoms are consistant with no fuel, I thought I'd check that relay again for fun. As there are 3 of the same white/green ones in that location, I rotated them all with the horn and all work. I also checked all the fuses in the box and pulled out the fuel pump fuse to double check just in case. All are OK.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
mechanic_101

then check the 30A F2 and 20A F3 fuses under the hood. These fuses are under the hood, and not behind the glove box.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
gazza57

Smile

Success! Thank you very much. The 20A fuse had blown. Devil of a job to get that little fuse cassette apart, but that aside no problems. I've never looked inside that relay box and did not realize there were any fuses in there as well. I will have to find out what they are all for. I've just finished fixing it in the dark & cold and did not look to see if they are labelled inside the relay box somewhere.

Soon as I started it, I checked for voltage at the secondary air terminal and 14v there, so its all back together and I'm very happy. I'll hoot in recognition of you everytime I go past Bay City on the way to Pinconning.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
mechanic_101

I'm glad you fixed your car. sometimes a simple problem could cause a big headace. BMW has a quality problem with the secondary air pump relay, and I hope they'd consider fixing the design soon. Since this relay is controlling cold starts emissions, they at least act on it. One of the e46 owners who I know took her car to the dealer because of the service engine soon light came ON, the dealer charged her $350 for diagnosing the replacing the relay. If she came to me, it would cost her $7.99 for the relay. Bravo to this site for providing a lot of good information, and I have learned a lot from it.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Bravo to this site for providing a lot of good information, and I have learned a lot from it.

+1 to that 4 sure
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
lukypower

My Ride: BMW e46
Hey guyz, I hope you all doing well, sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread etc, But its urgent, I have e46 318ci 2003 model
I scan my codes, and it appears that I have a Secondary air pump relay fault, but my car is running fine, however in the morning when the car is cold and I warm it up, it makes weird noises, and sometimes even while driving it doesnt have the normal power.
I searched every where and ended up here, please guyz help me,
I bought a relay code 12 63 1 742 690, but I dont know where to fit it,
please please try to hep me out, like where to fit this relay and if you guyz got pictures of the exact location of air pump & the relay that would be amazing,
lukypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
falconstailback4

My Ride: 328IC
Hello there, I own a 97' 328IC and im having the same problem. Sorry I had to post on the E46's but no one wants to help me in the E36's. The codes that i got suggested that I needed a secondary air pump and new valve, so i went out and got them brand new just to install them and still not have the pump work! now im looking for the fuses and relays and have no idea where to start. I heard mechanic 101 say that theres fuses under the hood. Can you guys point that out for me? I really dont want to bring it to the mechanic and pay 300$ when i can get a 8$ fuse and install it my self.
If anyone has any information on this it would help alot!
falconstailback4 is offline   Reply With Quote