E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Tysis

My Ride: Cobalt SS & E46 M3
Engine Vibration After Clutch Install

Hey guys, I own an 01 LSB with 144k on it, and I recently ordered the clutch kit from TMS which included the OEM clutch, PP, and throwout bearing.

Other than the car slipping, the car ran fine.

I got the clutch replaced by the head mechanic of my local BMW at his house, he does a lot of work on the side.

After he was done, he called me and said it went good, but while test driving it he felt a vibration, which he noted seemed like a driveshaft vibration? I thought this was weird, considering I had no vibration beforehand. I asked him about my flywheel, which he said looked great, just had some burn spots on it.

As I picked my baby up and headed home, I noticed the vibration he was talking about. It's only between 1k-2k (roughly) and if I rev it up while in neutral (moving or standing still) the motor sounds much louder. At first I was thinking it may have been an exhaust leak; maybe he didn't bolt the manifold back up or something.

There are no CEL's.

I work at a dealership, and some of the guys here said it seems off-balance, most likely the flywheel.

With my wallet in mind, I'm hoping it's only the manifold, or the motor or transmission mounts, but with my baby at heart, I'm open to all possibilities.
If there are any things I forgot to touch on please ask.

(I just picked it up yesterday, and haven't gotten a chance to ask the BMW mechanic yet, I am going to ask him to look at it for free to determine if it was a problem he created.)
Tysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
Flex disc (a.k.a. Guibo) on the back of the transmission? Only other thing I can think of.
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
sly1types

My Ride: M3
Send a message via MSN to sly1types
is it only while you are driving and not if you are just reving it up?

he might not have marked the drive shaft and put it back different than it was before.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
dcf

My Ride: 02 e46 M3 SMG - LSB
That is a myth.

The shaft is balanced independent of the transmission. Otherwise, when you changed transmissions, you would need to change the driveshaft too (which you don't have to do, I know, I have done it). Also, if it was a balance problem, it would most likely get worse the faster everything spun, like an out of balance wheel. But that does not sound like the case as it is a low RPM problem, so it sounds more like a harmonic issue.
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
sly1types

My Ride: M3
Send a message via MSN to sly1types
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf View Post
That is a myth.

The shaft is balanced independent of the transmission. Otherwise, when you changed transmissions, you would need to change the driveshaft too (which you don't have to do, I know, I have done it). Also, if it was a balance problem, it would most likely get worse the faster everything spun, like an out of balance wheel. But that does not sound like the case as it is a low RPM problem, so it sounds more like a harmonic issue.
maybe maybe not...when it didn't vibrate before it shouldn't in the future. It's very cheap insurance.

When I had a ltw flywheel mine have a vibration when reving around 1500-1800rpms so i went back to oem flywheel.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Tysis

My Ride: Cobalt SS & E46 M3
Yes it vibrates and sounds louder both while driving (still in the 1k-2.5k range) and while sitting still. I understand that it most likely still vibrates past 2.5k, I guess it just isn't noticible because of how fast it is at that point.

Most people are saying it's harmonics, most likely the flywheel. Maybe it's because I'm not as mechanically inclined yet, but I don't understand why the flywheel would cause vibration now when it didn't before...

Would it have to do with the old pp and flywheel growing unbalanced together? So when the new pp is added, it doesn't sync with the flywheel?

Last edited by Tysis; 12-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Tysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Could be a new part isn't properly balanced. Could be things weren't properly aligned during re-assembly. Could be the motor mounts were on their last legs and damaged during the clutch replacement. Less likely but not impossible are problems with the flywheel, harmonic damper, or drive shaft components.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
jlcool007

My Ride: E46 330ci Smoked Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysis View Post
Yes it vibrates and sounds louder both while driving (still in the 1k-2.5k range) and while sitting still. I understand that it most likely still vibrates past 2.5k, I guess it just isn't noticible because of how fast it is at that point.

Most people are saying it's harmonics, most likely the flywheel. Maybe it's because I'm not as mechanically inclined yet, but I don't understand why the flywheel would cause vibration now when it didn't before...

Would it have to do with the old pp and flywheel growing unbalanced together? So when the new pp is added, it doesn't sync with the flywheel?
the dual mass flywheels acts as sort of a damper for radial oscillatory-caused loadings... when you reduce the weight of the part, the less it will dampen these vibrations as the part is now easier to 'shove' around by oscillations.

if the flywheel weighed next to nothing, i don't even think the engine would run without a high idle...less rotary mass and momentum to keep it running

***staggered style #68 330ci spt. pgk. wheels w/ PS2's***

***full set amber 2001 330ci lights***

***99-01 coupe smoked corners***

Jason Le Blanc's Facebook profile
jlcool007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
screamer-beemer531

My Ride: BMW M3 E46 6spd PY
Never had this issue but could it be a break in of some sort? I doubt it though because I've never had that on a clutch replacement.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
destroyeerr

My Ride: e46 ///M3 6spd
Did he make sure your guibo is okay? Give it a few hundred miles, maybe the clutch just needs to be broken in. Or maybe he didn't torque a bold right or something.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer
destroyeerr is offline   Reply With Quote