E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
JamesSJ1

My Ride: 06 M3 'Vert
Thumping vibration...Guibo & CSB done...what next?

So I tackled the Guibo and CSB over the weekend and things immediately felt better, but the dang thumping came back quickly.

Car: 2006 M3 'vert, only 34,000 miles. 7 years owned only 3000mi/year as weekend driver, 2nd owner only 2 years at 7k/year...now in my hands for past 4k miles. Didn't notice thumping after a few test drives and nothing to indicate a problem before.

Problem: thumping vibration used to occur as clutch fully engaged in 1st gear, to the point of delaying forward movement a little, again in the 32-38mph range, and felt like something was probably there in the 72-78mph range as well. Seemed like an obvious CSB issue. After changing Guibo & CSB, only noticed very minor 1st gear engagement thump a few times, but vibration is definitely still happening in he 32-38mph range, not sure yet about 72-78mph range as freeways around here are pretty rough to really notice it.

Did the Guibo and CSB, thinking the rubber was probably just old. Guibo looked really good, but rubber was firm/hard compared to the brand new one (both labeled SGF, original one had "BMW" stamp, replacement was OEM SGF so no BMW stamp). New CSB IIRC is Lemforder. Original wasn't torn, not too much movement, but rubber was clearly flaking away and I don't think it was long for this world.

Checked the transmission mounts while under there...rubber looked flawless and felt pliable when pushing on it.

What should I look to replace next? Might have the wife drive me in the car sitting in the back seat to see if it's something more focused on the rear of the car (i.e. diff mounts). I doubt it's a mis-aligned drive shaft because all the bolts and parts under the car looked like they had never been touched by a tool unless it was bad from the factory, but would assume the original owner would pick that up, so I doubt Guibo or CSB has been done by anyone else ever. Definitely low mileage so these changes are more about age than wear.
JamesSJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
aznniche

My Ride: E36
Did you align the driveshaft when removing the CSB? Did you preload the CSB before tightening it down? Did you inspect the u-joint and cv joints for play?

I replaced my entire driveshaft recently and all three items were worn.
aznniche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
JamesSJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznniche View Post
Did you align the driveshaft when removing the CSB? Did you preload the CSB before tightening it down? Did you inspect the u-joint and cv joints for play?

I replaced my entire driveshaft recently and all three items were worn.
CSB marks done before removing. Marked driveshaft in two different spots to re-align when I put it back together. Replacement CSB matched up perfectly with the removed one, so moving it to marks was ~4mm preload that is spec'ed. Joints seemed very good. Only play from manually moving the driveshaft was back and forth inside the differential. I wouldn't think the driveshaft or any of its joints would be worn at only 34k miles.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
Are your wheels balanced and NOT bent?

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
JamesSJ1

Wheels are near flawless so pretty certain no bends. Balance is a good question. The dealership had new tires installed prior to sale and there is a possibility of balance issue still existing. I figured since I was getting a stuttering vibration off the line as 1st gear fully engaged, that the 30s-mph and 70s-mph vibrations were related and likely Guibo/CSB, but maybe those higher speed vibrations are just wheel balance issues.

Vibration is somewhat torque sensitive. i.e. if I'm revving high and hard, I never feel it (especially moving so fast through the 30mph range). At the same time, if I'm in the mid-30s mph and have the vibration, I can let go of the gas and the vibration is still there, sometimes a little stronger still. These kinds of vibrations stink...you can go changing mounts, guibo, CSB, drive shaft, axles and wheel bearings, spending $$$$ and time and still not hit the problem. That's partly why I've just dealt with a similar vibration on my Honda minivan for several years...it's not an uncommon problem, but nobody has found one weak link and solution for it...usually people end up changing three or four things before they hit the problem.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
Multiple things could be doing this, if you want to throw money at stuff, thats fine but you might have to take it to an indy shop

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote