E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #41
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i bet Ruben could get you one.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #42
Onurleft

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Local and federal laws are two different things. Just because you can get something titled in your area doesn't necessarily make it legal with federal/DOT laws. This is why "titled" JDM cars in some areas like California have been seized and crushed.

Basically, the legal way to do it is to get BMW to create a document which demonstrates that the CSL has the same safety and other DOT requirements as the standard E46 M3...... or crash a few for DOT tests.
This is true. However, this can all be gotten away with very easily is Ga.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #43
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
why cant you register it as a kit car?
that might include taking it apart in europe and you need to reassemble it back up when it gets here...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #44
Mahjik

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Send a message via ICQ to Mahjik Send a message via AIM to Mahjik
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillanovaGrad View Post
why cant you register it as a kit car?
that might include taking it apart in europe and you need to reassemble it back up when it gets here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
As for the "kit car" route, that doesn't work anymore either. Kaizo and others like it are highly illegal. Basically, if a manufacturer built the chassis and the engine, it's not a kit car. i.e. for the people taking apart Skylines and assembling them here in the USA (like Kaizo does), it's still a Skyline not a kit car.

Like I mentioned, you may get such a thing titled in some states but that doesn't make it federally legal.
Laws have changed over the last 4-5 years because of people doing things just like that....
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #45
Mahjik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurleft View Post
This is true. However, this can all be gotten away with very easily is Ga.
There are several states where it can be "gotten away with". The question is: is it really worth it? You (or someone) could spend a lot of money to bring something over that eventually gets confiscated.... and there's no getting your money back...

The VIN numbers are also calculated by region (i.e. a UK VIN does not match up to a USA VIN). So if you need a load to be able to purchase the car, if the VIN doesn't pass the filter most credit agencies will not process the loan. In some areas, this is the same for getting insurance and the car registered (just talk to the Lotus Elise owners who had to deal with this when the car first came out and their VIN decoding was not in any of the systems yet in the USA). Even the Noble guys have an interesting time getting their cars registered and even that depends on the state they live.

I've seen people talk about this kind of stuff for years since I also own a RX-7 and people have dreamed about importing the last model made the 2002 Spirit R. Someone did get one into the states however I've never heard of it getting titled (or where it's hidden at currently). Some others have gotten a few non-US RX-7's here in the USA (by way of Canada) and gotten them titled in their area. Most likely nothing will ever happen to them but you need to ask yourself:

1. Do have I have the money to make it happen?
2. Why would I need to bother when there are so many "similar" cars available here in the USA?

Heck, if you are going to import and use something illegally at least make it something that isn't remotely sold here in the USA (something like a TVR Sagaris which hopefully will be US legal here soon).

Last edited by Mahjik; 11-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #46
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
Why not just "make your own" for CONSIDERABLY less money?

Start with a, well, ANY M3, even a 2004 ZCP M3, which we'll say we got a great deal on for $27,500 with 45k miles, all options, 6M, Navigation, the works. You want to go with the Steel Grey color, as that seems to be the most common CSL color. Also, you can go even lighter w/ CARBON FIBER CSL parts, and you won't have to worry about the Feds hauling your car away on some trailer.
- Buy and install a CSL V1 front bumper - $600 installed
- Buy and install a (carbon fiber) CSL boot-lid - $1400 installed
- Buy and install M3-CSL Seats (the hardest, most expensive part, most likely) - $5-7,000 installed
- Buy and install a Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber "M3 Bulge" Hood (just to lose weight, really) - $1,500 installed
- Buy and install Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber M3 Rear Diffuser - $800
- Buy and install a custom carbon-fiber interior console - $1,500
- Buy and install an M3 wheel with Alcantra wrapped around it - $250
- Buy and install a Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Roof (then put a thin layer of Dynamat Xtreme, the lightweight Dynamat, under it and then cover all that up on the inside with an Alcantra headliner) - $2,500
- Install "Euro" headers (or just go with Ebay, SuperSprint, AA, or Technick headers) - $2,500
- Install an M3 CSL Carbon-Fiber Airbox (or, more realistically, a Delage Carbon Fiber airbox) - $3,000
- Install an aftermarket, lightweight "race" exhaust (such as Eisenmenn piping with a GruppeM Ti rear section) - $2,000
- Install a Stage2 Clutch with a Lightweight (8.5-10lb) Flywheel - $2,000
- Install Eurospec Power Pulleys (incl. Alternator pulley) - $250
- Install reprogramed engine software (higher redline/retrimmed fuel ratios/more power from existing mods/no top speed limit/etc) - $900
- "Competition Package" wheels or "VM CSL Replics" - $0 (if your car is ZCP) to $2200 (19" staggered replicas + top of the line Michelin Pilot Sport Cups)
- Odyssey PC1000 Dry-Cell Battery (18lbs vs 40lbs stock) - $160
- Remove all usefull parts from trunk, including Jack, ToolKit, and Floor (saves ~45-60lbs) - Free

So now we have a car that's probably 250-350lbs lighter, if not more, than a stock U.S. M3. It also looks JUST LIKE an M3 CSL. On top of that, it's got the best-of-the-best Performance Parts, and is probably making +30rwhp. So, about 360-365hp at the crank, or ~305rwhp. That's pretty much the same as the M3 CSL too!
Assuming we started with a ZCP car, we have now spent $25,360 ($52,860 including price of car) to get the car from Stock-ZCP form to U.S. M3-CSL. It performs way better, looks weigh better, and probably gets way better fuel economy.

Suspension should not need to be changed, but we want a COMPETITION CAR HERE, FOLKS! Let's get down under there! Might as well change some wear items that are coming up, too, as we can't have this car doing anything other than BEING THE BEST!
- KW V3 Coil-Overs - $2400
- RE Rear Strut Mount - $240 (front comes with car)
- RE RSM's - $100
- UUC Control Arm Bushings - $200
- UUC Evo 3 Short Shift Kit w/ DSSR - $650 (installed)
- Turner Motorsport Adj. Sway Bar Kit (F/R) - $450
- TMS Adj. Rear Control Arms - $300
- TMS Adj. Front Camber Platers Stage 2 - $330
- PowerFlex RTAB's - $80
- Meyle HD Differential Mounts - $120
- TMS "Semi-Solid" Rear Subframe Mounts - $200
- Redline Fluid for Differential - $35
- Redline Fluid for Transmission - $35
- Royal Purple 10W60 Engine Oil and Oil Filter - $75

So, we spent $5,215 on Suspension/Chassis and on some mild preventative maintenance. However, we now have a car that can be corner balanced, which is key as we removed up to ~350-400lbs from it! It will handle ON RAILS, as well, with the sway bars, V3 coils, camber kits, and more.

Total spent on Modifications: $28,775 (or the price of a second M3)

Lastly, we need to focus on brakes! The M3 CSL had some EXCELLENT brakes, and while the ZCP came pretty close, it's just not good enough. We need SERIOUS stoppage, front and rear, and who else is there to turn to, but Brembo?
- Brembo Gran Tourismo Front BBK 6-Piston 380mm 2-Piece Vented and Slotted Rotors w/ Axxis Ultimate Pads - $3,650
- Brembo Gran Tourismo Rear BBK 4-Piston 355mm 2-Piece Vented and Slotted Rotors w/ Axxis Ultimate Pads - $2,990
- Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid - $30
- StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines (4 wheel) - $100

Total for brakes: $6770 (total spent on modifications is $35,545)

So, we have spent $35,545 on modifications that leave us with a U.S.-spec "M3 CSL", that albeit is probably a bit faster than the Euro Version, and lighter due to all of the extraneous CF parts, still IS NOT THE REAL THING!

Factor in the cost of the car, which was $27,500 (a steal!), and we've spent a total of $63,045 on this venture.

Is it an extremely good looking, capable car? Yes. Is it faster than most other N/A M3's? Yes. Is it putting down at least 305-315REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER? YES. Is it an M3-CSL..? No... And unless you're in Europe, you can never own a real M3 CSL and drive it like it's supposed to be driven.
However, what we have now is an extremely awesome M3, and one that will tear almost any car it encounters on the road to shreds. We've upped the horsepower, lowered the torque come-on so that it doesn't require so much high-revving to build power, lightened it enough that the car is now dealing with 1-1.5lbs-per-horsepower LESS (which is a significant deal!), and increased the aerodynamics of it as well (increasing downforce in the rear and front somewhat, as well as making the top and sides "sleeker".

So, you can spend a fortune on these cars to make them something they will never be, or you can spend a fortune to make these cars something that is STILL badazz. Just don't call it a CSL.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #47
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
Why not just "make your own" for CONSIDERABLY less money?

Start with a, well, ANY M3, even a 2004 ZCP M3, which we'll say we got a great deal on for $27,500 with 45k miles, all options, 6M, Navigation, the works. You want to go with the Steel Grey color, as that seems to be the most common CSL color. Also, you can go even lighter w/ CARBON FIBER CSL parts, and you won't have to worry about the Feds hauling your car away on some trailer.
- Buy and install a CSL V1 front bumper - $600 installed
- Buy and install a (carbon fiber) CSL boot-lid - $1400 installed
- Buy and install M3-CSL Seats (the hardest, most expensive part, most likely) - $5-7,000 installed
- Buy and install a Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber "M3 Bulge" Hood (just to lose weight, really) - $1,500 installed
- Buy and install Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber M3 Rear Diffuser - $800
- Buy and install a custom carbon-fiber interior console - $1,500
- Buy and install an M3 wheel with Alcantra wrapped around it - $250
- Buy and install a Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Roof (then put a thin layer of Dynamat Xtreme, the lightweight Dynamat, under it and then cover all that up on the inside with an Alcantra headliner) - $2,500
- Install "Euro" headers (or just go with Ebay, SuperSprint, AA, or Technick headers) - $2,500
- Install an M3 CSL Carbon-Fiber Airbox (or, more realistically, a Delage Carbon Fiber airbox) - $3,000
- Install an aftermarket, lightweight "race" exhaust (such as Eisenmenn piping with a GruppeM Ti rear section) - $2,000
- Install a Stage2 Clutch with a Lightweight (8.5-10lb) Flywheel - $2,000
- Install Eurospec Power Pulleys (incl. Alternator pulley) - $250
- Install reprogramed engine software (higher redline/retrimmed fuel ratios/more power from existing mods/no top speed limit/etc) - $900
- "Competition Package" wheels or "VM CSL Replics" - $0 (if your car is ZCP) to $2200 (19" staggered replicas + top of the line Michelin Pilot Sport Cups)
- Odyssey PC1000 Dry-Cell Battery (18lbs vs 40lbs stock) - $160
- Remove all usefull parts from trunk, including Jack, ToolKit, and Floor (saves ~45-60lbs) - Free

So now we have a car that's probably 250-350lbs lighter, if not more, than a stock U.S. M3. It also looks JUST LIKE an M3 CSL. On top of that, it's got the best-of-the-best Performance Parts, and is probably making +30rwhp. So, about 360-365hp at the crank, or ~305rwhp. That's pretty much the same as the M3 CSL too!
Assuming we started with a ZCP car, we have now spent $25,360 ($52,860 including price of car) to get the car from Stock-ZCP form to U.S. M3-CSL. It performs way better, looks weigh better, and probably gets way better fuel economy.

Suspension should not need to be changed, but we want a COMPETITION CAR HERE, FOLKS! Let's get down under there! Might as well change some wear items that are coming up, too, as we can't have this car doing anything other than BEING THE BEST!
- KW V3 Coil-Overs - $2400
- RE Rear Strut Mount - $240 (front comes with car)
- RE RSM's - $100
- UUC Control Arm Bushings - $200
- UUC Evo 3 Short Shift Kit w/ DSSR - $650 (installed)
- Turner Motorsport Adj. Sway Bar Kit (F/R) - $450
- TMS Adj. Rear Control Arms - $300
- TMS Adj. Front Camber Platers Stage 2 - $330
- PowerFlex RTAB's - $80
- Meyle HD Differential Mounts - $120
- TMS "Semi-Solid" Rear Subframe Mounts - $200
- Redline Fluid for Differential - $35
- Redline Fluid for Transmission - $35
- Royal Purple 10W60 Engine Oil and Oil Filter - $75

So, we spent $5,215 on Suspension/Chassis and on some mild preventative maintenance. However, we now have a car that can be corner balanced, which is key as we removed up to ~350-400lbs from it! It will handle ON RAILS, as well, with the sway bars, V3 coils, camber kits, and more.

Total spent on Modifications: $28,775 (or the price of a second M3)

Lastly, we need to focus on brakes! The M3 CSL had some EXCELLENT brakes, and while the ZCP came pretty close, it's just not good enough. We need SERIOUS stoppage, front and rear, and who else is there to turn to, but Brembo?
- Brembo Gran Tourismo Front BBK 6-Piston 380mm 2-Piece Vented and Slotted Rotors w/ Axxis Ultimate Pads - $3,650
- Brembo Gran Tourismo Rear BBK 4-Piston 355mm 2-Piece Vented and Slotted Rotors w/ Axxis Ultimate Pads - $2,990
- Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid - $30
- StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines (4 wheel) - $100

Total for brakes: $6770 (total spent on modifications is $35,545)

So, we have spent $35,545 on modifications that leave us with a U.S.-spec "M3 CSL", that albeit is probably a bit faster than the Euro Version, and lighter due to all of the extraneous CF parts, still IS NOT THE REAL THING!

Factor in the cost of the car, which was $27,500 (a steal!), and we've spent a total of $63,045 on this venture.

Is it an extremely good looking, capable car? Yes. Is it faster than most other N/A M3's? Yes. Is it putting down at least 305-315REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER? YES. Is it an M3-CSL..? No... And unless you're in Europe, you can never own a real M3 CSL and drive it like it's supposed to be driven.
However, what we have now is an extremely awesome M3, and one that will tear almost any car it encounters on the road to shreds. We've upped the horsepower, lowered the torque come-on so that it doesn't require so much high-revving to build power, lightened it enough that the car is now dealing with 1-1.5lbs-per-horsepower LESS (which is a significant deal!), and increased the aerodynamics of it as well (increasing downforce in the rear and front somewhat, as well as making the top and sides "sleeker".

So, you can spend a fortune on these cars to make them something they will never be, or you can spend a fortune to make these cars something that is STILL badazz. Just don't call it a CSL.

my thoughs exactly, its cheaper to build one. and it would be better with the aftermarket parts youd throw at it.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #48
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Besides having CSL's available FS, I can also import any CSL parts you want. Building an identical one is possible
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #49
///m3some

My Ride: Gintani S/C E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to ///m3some
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
Besides having CSL's available FS, I can also import any CSL parts you want. Building an identical one is possible
your my new bestfriend

SPECIAL THANKS TO GINTANI & OE TUNING
///m3some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #50
jetskier88

My Ride: 330i ZHP S/C TS2+
Send a message via AIM to jetskier88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce86 View Post
^^ No one drives my car... But I'll take you a spin fo sho
its a fukin gay car bro relax... isnt it even SMG?

these are not cars to obsess about...
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
jetskier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #51
BadzMaru

My Ride: M3 Convertible
Send a message via MSN to BadzMaru
You could buy your Genuine CSL parts from CA Automotive in UK...

http://www.ca-at.co.uk/category-Y2Fy...lPWU0Nm0=.html

and if you want more details about the CSL...

http://www.ca-at.co.uk/products-Y2Fy...faWQ9OA==.html
BadzMaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #52
bryce86

My Ride: CSL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier88 View Post
its a fukin gay car bro relax... isnt it even SMG?

these are not cars to obsess about...
Haha your right, Id go so far as to say its the worst BMW ever made...
Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #53
CosmoLTW

My Ride: (soon) Estoril E46 M
nleksan speaks truth

Is it possible? Sure. Hell I could probably do it if I get stationed in Germany. Is it worth it? Not really for all the trouble you would have to go through. Just build your own car, drive it, be happy with it. Otherwise you are going to be spending 100k+ on a car that a US M3 with 50k total invested (including the car) would smoke in every way. Now if I lived in Europe it would be a completely different story. I would pull the trigger on one without thinking twice. But we're here and they're there.
CosmoLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #54
CosmoLTW

My Ride: (soon) Estoril E46 M
nleksan speaks truth

Is it possible? Sure. Hell I could probably do it if I get stationed in Germany. Is it worth it? Not really for all the trouble you would have to go through. Just build your own car, drive it, be happy with it. Otherwise you are going to be spending 100k+ on a car that a US M3 with 50k total invested (including the car) would smoke in every way. Now if I lived in Europe it would be a completely different story. I would pull the trigger on one without thinking twice. But we're here and they're there.
CosmoLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #55
Mahjik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoLTW View Post
Hell I could probably do it if I get stationed in Germany.
Military personnel are only allowed to bring non-US cars back for a temporary basis, not permanent. Even then, there are rules around it (i.e. tour duration, etc).
Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #56
jetskier88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce86 View Post
Haha your right, Id go so far as to say its the worst BMW ever made...
im not saying YOUR M3 is wack.... im talking about BMW's in general... everyone has one.... its nothing to fantasize over unless its some lambo or ferrari.... i really dont give a fuk who drives my car, as long as they knwo how to.....
after school, i definitely do not intend to play around with these toy cars... we grow up
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
Old 11-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #57
carlchristian
Banned

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier88 View Post
im not saying YOUR M3 is wack.... im talking about BMW's in general... everyone has one.... its nothing to fantasize over unless its some lambo or ferrari.... i really dont give a fuk who drives my car, as long as they knwo how to.....
after school, i definitely do not intend to play around with these toy cars... we grow up
jetskier your 330 is wack.
carlchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #58
stlnation

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330XI
UKú 30 495.00 = 45 565.629 U.S. dollars

ebay.co.uk

03 CSL w/ 30k

where are you all getting $60k???

Last edited by stlnation; 11-19-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: why not
stlnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #59
jetskier88

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlchristian View Post
jetskier your 330 is wack.
ehh gets me from point A to B... just a hobby to mess around with when school gets on my nerves...

BMW Modding DONE
Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #60
Dcha

My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlnation View Post
UKú 30 495.00 = 45 565.629 U.S. dollars

ebay.co.uk

03 CSL w/ 30k

where are you all getting $60k???
You can't use exchange rates for cars. Doesn't work.