E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Experimental M3

My Ride: 2002 330ci
A Great Upgrade to My 330ci Sound System - BSW Subwoofer Review

When I purchased my first BMW, a 2002 330ci, I loved the car. I enjoyed everything about the car, except the sound system. It left a lot to be desired. I started looking into all kinds of upgrades. Many shops refused to do head unit and speaker upgrades, and those that would wanted to charge an excessive amount.

Then I found Bavarian Soundwerks. After speaking with them, they determined the best route for my situation would be a subwoofer upgrade. Not only would it add the low frequencies and bass punch that I had been missing so much, it would also allow me to dial out the bass from the rest of the speakers in the car.

I had one problem. As a television producer, I am often obligated to transport production equipment. So giving up trunk space was not an option. No problem! BSW’s d110 replaces the stock Harmon/Kardon “subwoofer box” that hangs down from the rear deck in the trunk. The d110 needed a minimal amount of additional space.

After BSW did an excellent job installing the subwoofer box, I picked up the car. Right off the bat, the fit and finish of the d110 looks like it belongs in the car….like it came from the factory. And at first glance, I was really wondering, “Is this really going to make a difference?”

Then I started listening and wow! I couldn’t believe how much the d110 transformed the sound system in my car. All of a sudden, the stock speakers in the car didn’t sound as bad. And then there was a wonderful amount of low end in the sound that just wasn’t there before. The d110 should have come in the car from the factory!

I drive my car…a lot. Over 75 miles a day. The d110 has allowed me to enjoy my music so much more. And my long drives for work aren’t as much of a chore anymore. This upgrade has really helped me enjoy my car even more!

Thank you BSW!

I can post pictures for anyone who would like to see. And if anyone in the area would like an audition of the system, let me know.
Experimental M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
Great man, sounds like you were very happy with the results. You might want to look into replacing the standard speakers as well to complete the whole setup but if you can get away without spending the money and still be happy with the system, I think I'd save it and leave it as is.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
What's the weight in comparison to the HK subs?

Glad you like it!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Experimental M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwAudio32 View Post
Great man, sounds like you were very happy with the results. You might want to look into replacing the standard speakers as well to complete the whole setup but if you can get away without spending the money and still be happy with the system, I think I'd save it and leave it as is.
After hearing what BSW did with their stage 1 in a 550i...I may have to go the stage 1 route...it sounded awesome!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Experimental M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post

Glad you like it!
That's a good question. Let me see what numbers I can get. I'll post back and let you know.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental M3 View Post
After hearing what BSW did with their stage 1 in a 550i...I may have to go the stage 1 route...it sounded awesome!
Well I can tell you, if you go Stage 1, make sure to get an aftermarket amp. It makes it all worth it I think. I ran my stage one off the factory amp for a few months and the improvement was noticable over stock, but when I added a SoundStream Amp, the Rainbow speakers from the Stage 1 really came alive.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post

Glad you like it!

Coupe - 41lb
Sedan - 43lb

That includes everything. SUPER light in the grand scheme of things!

I need to weigh the HK subwoofers but they are in the ballpark of 10-15lb. In the end it is nothing you will notice

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
ryan3series

My Ride: 2001 330cii
did ypu keep the stock Head unit. i am intrest in futting a 12 in my car but im worried that it wont hook up to my stock head unit. if there is a place to could you show me a pic.
ryan3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
His vehicle does have the stock head unit unless he changed it recently.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote