E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #301
karatechop5000

My Ride: 03 325xi
This is all the silicone RTV I used. I wasn't going to use any until I saw that seam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	407261  
karatechop5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #302
eksath

My Ride: 02 330ci TopazBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF323Ci View Post
Took two total noobs being extra careful about 8 hours, including lunch, two trips to the hardware store, a trip to the dealership, and fishing out the negative terminal retaining bolt out from under the battery..
We could probably do it again in two hours or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
A day if you are going at a relaxing pace. If you know what you are doing and have a nice tooling setup, less than 20 minutes could probably be done.
Thanks for the info guys!

www.starracer.us
---------------------------------------------
People believe in Ghosts, UFOs, talking to the dead, advertising, magic, curses, voodoo dolls, Elvis' death faked, the Great Pumpkin, Tupac still lives, the WWF, that all the moon walks were staged, real unstaged audience questions in talk shows, JFK's conspiracy assination theories, TWA 800 shoot down conspiracy theories, the image of the Virgin Mary appearing on a left over pizza, that Dr. Laura has no bias, that homosexuality is a choice, the guests on Jerry Springer, the TV illness of the month, that guns don't hurt people do, that CNN doesn't hype stories, the Osbornes not being staged, that a pill can make you loose weight without ever dieting or excercising, that there's a cure for baldness, aging and being short, that Britney Spears doesn't lip sync, That KFC is a healthy food choice, that the British Royal family isn't disfunctional, that there really were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that all Arabs are the same, that Muslims encompass everyone from Indonesia to Morocco and they are all extremists, that all Americans are the same, that's it's always cold in Canada, that cigarettes aren't addictive, that it's ok to drink but not ok to smoke up.........and on and on and on and on...... so what on Earth makes anyone believe that there is something unusual about people fearing the number 13 or astrology?
eksath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #303
bighitbiker3

My Ride: Nothing as of yet.
This makes me excited to do it Thanks a ton!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #304
The_Taylor

My Ride: BMW 325i
My gasket was VERY brittle. I used a heat gun to speed up the removal process - it worked wonders.
The_Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #305
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
I was surprised when I changed out mine at 70,000 miles. The old gasket was still soft and pliable. Unusual due to the heat we experience here in Arizona!
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #306
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by klax View Post
I was surprised when I changed out mine at 70,000 miles. The old gasket was still soft and pliable. Unusual due to the heat we experience here in Arizona!
Could be your location constant temperature, as opposed to freezing/thawing that we get in New England.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #307
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
I actually lived for several years in Prescott, AZ with this car before Phoenix. Prescott easily gets down into the teens and twenties in the winter time and upper nineties in the summer. I don't think that's it.

I think prolonged idling is the worst thing you can do to a car and I avoid it as much as I can. In the Porsche 996 owners manual, for example, it states clearly "avoid prolonged idling". These engines run hot anyway and sitting there with the engine running (drive-through window, etc), your under hood temperatures will skyrocket.

My next door neighbor has an e46, and, like me, has owned it since new. I notice that the rubber "eyebrows" over his headlight lenses are brittle, cracked and falling apart. Mine, like the valve cover gasket was, are soft and pliable.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #308
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Just lucky, I guess.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #309
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
Wow, 16 pages and nobody posted a link to the BavAuto DIY? (Not that it's any better, but it does address the whole "sealant at the half moon" issue - on step 12; Figure 10.
http://blog.bavauto.com/643/replacin...t-on-your-bmw/

They use this stuff -
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...t_Dressing.htm

Personally, I think they put too much of the sealant on, and I'll likely reduce the amount by 30%

Schnell
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #310
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach.schnell View Post
Wow, 16 pages and nobody posted a link to the BavAuto DIY? (Not that it's any better, but it does address the whole "sealant at the half moon" issue - on step 12; Figure 10.
http://blog.bavauto.com/643/replacin...t-on-your-bmw/

They use this stuff -
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...t_Dressing.htm

Personally, I think they put too much of the sealant on, and I'll likely reduce the amount by 30%

Schnell
Damn that's a lot of sealant!

I'd much rather trust the BMW recommendation of a small amount on the sharp corners of the head, and not applying the sealant directly to the gaskets in such large quantities. That's just asking for a needless mess.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #311
association16

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
I am doing this tomorrow evening after work and I bought some vanos line seals as well. When they came I got metal rings. I don't know the first thing about the vanos, but is that what they are supposed to be?
association16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #312
mach.schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by association16 View Post
I don't know the first thing about the vanos, ...
Well then you'd better do some reading here: http://www.beisansystems.com/

A part number would be somewhat helpful don't you think? But I have the feeling the "metal rings" you have are the VANOS oil line crush washers.

#17 on this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=11&fg=15

Unless you remove the VANOS oil line feed, these aren't necessary. And it isn't necessary to remove the VANOS oil line feed to replace the Valve Cover Gasket.

BUT... you might want to keep them on hand for when you find out you need to replace the oil filter housing gasket (where the housing attaches to the engine).
Old 08-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #313
mach.schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Damn that's a lot of sealant!

I'd much rather trust the BMW recommendation of a small amount on the sharp corners of the head, and not applying the sealant directly to the gaskets in such large quantities. That's just asking for a needless mess.
Technically the product is not a sealant, so - sorry if I misspoke. It is a Rubber Gasket Dressing, and cannot be used for RTV applications. In other words, it can't be used to create a gasket, which is what RTV is designed for.

I've read a lot of threads on the Drei Bond 1209, and interestingly enough, Google tends to return a lot of threads from the BMW motorcycle community. All this type of product, hondabond, yamabond, etc... and the Drei Bond 1209 are Gasket formation products - used to create a gasket between two halves of a metal casing.

Here, though, you already have a gasket. You don't need to make one. Rather you need to make sure whatever goo you use is compatible with rubber, and in this case, also with plastic. Some of the silicone sealants cure with vinegar - not so "compatible" with rubber. I provided the link above, and you can read for yourself whether this is better than the magic Drei Bond.

Given the Bentley Manual was written 10 years ago, and that materials engineering has quite progressed since that time, The Permatex Dressing is much more applicable to the Valve Cover Gasket (a rubber product) than any RTV or its supposed equivalent. The Dressing was designed to plug those odd corners in a rubber gasket that might leave a microscopic leak if there were any minor torsions during installation. It does not dry like RTV, and so remains flexible with the rubber. I have the feeling Permatex wants mechanics to use this product rather than spending the time to clean the metal surfaces. But that's another conversation.

The purpose isn't to make a gasket (like RTV) but to plug up any minute holes that might arise from the gasket being incorrectly seated. It's perfect for those half moons.

The "BMW recommendation" was made ten years ago, when mystery Drei Bond was actually available, and a rubber dressing didn't exist. Quite a number of posts mention that Drei Bond and its "equivalents" would dry out faster (meaning a gasket made with such RTVs would need replacing more often than a standard replacement gasket).

I've also seen quite a number of posts that show the VCG leaking at those corners even when RTV product was used. The Permatex rubber gasket dressing doesn't dry out. (I know - just don't ask.)

That said, is it better to place the dressing on the metal? Or on the rubber?

I agree, that BavAuto used more goo than I think is necessary, and I am temped to put the goo on the metal, just so it doesn't get all over anything else as one seats the valve cover into position.

Mach

Last edited by mach.schnell; 08-25-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #314
hammerheart

My Ride: 02 330XI
Did my valve cover gasket today. Car is around 100k miles. The gasket is really brittle. The engine looks fine. Happy motoring~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3734.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	415669  
hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #315
karatechop5000

My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
I've also seen quite a number of posts that show the VCG leaking at those corners even when RTV product was used.
Thank you for the breakdown on this sealant. I have to say the rtv did not work well for me. I still get a whiff of engine oil burning after a long drive. I tried it with silicone on the head all around the half moons; and then I tried it again with just the tiniest bit at the seam where the vanos housing meets the head. I even replaced the valve cover. Each time I pulled the cover off, I noticed the RTV and the rubber gasket just weren't very bonded. I think the RTV did it's own thing at temperature, and the rubber gasket did another. I used to work in a shop that used trim adhesive (yellow snot) on gaskets. It was a rubber glue now I'm sure. Not silicone.
karatechop5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #316
mach.schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatechop5000 View Post
Thank you for the breakdown on this sealant.
You're quite welcome, but I'll send the thanks on to my wife the materials engineer. Don't ask why but she's more into texture, temperature, adhesion, solvents, than shoes, jewelry and handbags.

The rubber gasket BMW used was designed to seal the plastic valve cover to the metal head. The next question is what kind of plastic and what kind of metal (and what kind of rubber). Most of the machined parts are aluminum, and certain corrosion patterns seem to indicate some parts are bonded with magnesium.

She's puzzled that everyone recommends Simple Green to clean grease off metal parts, since (I forget which component) reacts with aluminum and causes pitting. So she'd rather I actually use CRC throttle body cleaner than even the recommended brake cleaner in the VANOS project (except on the actual seals). So I'm backing up a few steps, and with the VANOS in pieces (and before the new seals are installed) will clean everything off with throttle body cleaner first.

Engineers - gotta luv em.

(Hey, want insight into the German engineering mind? Go watch some Schuhplattler dancing. Just remember these are the people who designed the CCV )

Last edited by mach.schnell; 09-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #317
Rickna

Quote:
you're quite welcome, but i'll send the thanks on to my wife the materials engineer. Don't ask why but she's more into texture, temperature, adhesion, solvents, than shoes, jewelry and handbags.

The rubber gasket bmw used was designed to seal the plastic valve cover to the metal head. The next question is what kind of plastic and what kind of metal (and what kind of rubber). Most of the machined parts are aluminum, and certain corrosion patterns seem to indicate some parts are bonded with magnesium.

She's puzzled that everyone recommends simple green to clean grease off metal parts, since (i forget which component) reacts with aluminum and causes pitting. So she'd rather i actually use crc throttle body cleaner than even the recommended brake cleaner in the vanos project (except on the actual seals). So i'm backing up a few steps, and with the vanos in pieces (and before the new seals are installed) will clean everything off with throttle body cleaner first.

Engineers - gotta luv em.

(hey, want insight into the german engineering mind? Go watch some schuhplattler dancing

just remember these are the people who designed the ccv )
rofl...lamo

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #318
mach.schnell

BTW the brittle VCG rubber that's hard and cracks like plastic will soften up to a bendable taffy like consistency over a two or three day period in damp weather.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #319
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
So whats the consensus on the sealant/rtv/glue/cement/magic putty we should be using on the half-moons?
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #320
mach.schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
So whats the consensus on the sealant/rtv/glue/cement/magic putty we should be using on the half-moons?
You mean does BavAuto have the experience to be right? Once the VANOS is done and I put the VCG back on, I'll let you know.